tcahill
I'm really enjoying the cloud this year. First TheBrain syncing between desktops, and now Google Drive. 

I've been careful to keep my Brain File and folders out of my Google Drive folder, as I'm pretty sure that would mess things up badly, (just as it would using other 3rd party sync solutions) but I've even been a bit reluctant to experiment with a combination TheBrain virtual folder that was also a Google Drive Folder. 

I've actually found virtual folders to a less than useful when working from PCs other than the one which physically contains the 'virtual folders'. However, if TheBrain file contained a virtual folder that was also a Google Drive folder, would that induce TheBrain  to develop problems? What happens with GUIDs? I think this would be a great functional leap forward, if it were possible. Any thoughts?
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
pthompson
Tim,

As I understand it, you are thinking about adding your Google Drive folders as Virtual Folders in order to keep them synced between machines?

We haven't done any formal testing with Google Drive and TheBrain as far as I know, but I will ask our developers what their thoughts on this are.

Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
tcahill
Thank You Patrick
tcahill
Has anybody tried this? I don't want to be the first. Cheers.
pthompson
Tim,

With the testing I have done so far, as long as you are not storing your Brain database in Google Drive, there should be no issues linking to other files.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
tcahill
pthompson wrote:

With the testing I have done so far, as long as you are not storing your Brain database in Google Drive, there should be no issues linking to other files.

So now I'm curious. Let's say that I have three different computers. Two run windows and one runs linux. I have Google Drive Sync on all three computers (using Insync for Linux), but the Google Drive is in a different location for each computer. On linux, the folder is at /home/tim/documents/google drive, on one of the windows PCs, the folder is at C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Google Drive and on the other windows PC the folder is at I:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Google Drive

So now I'd like the folder to be available in TheBrain as a virtual folder. Would this need to be three different virtual folders for the same gdrive? Perhaps this reply is a feature request in disguise: Can we get TheBrain to recognize the same content when it appears in different actual and virtual locations?
pthompson
tcahill,

Virtual Folders are not synced so you would need to set this up on each machine.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
tcahill
pthompson wrote: tcahill,

Virtual Folders are not synced so you would need to set this up on each machine.

Ok. In fact, there might be a less than optimal data outcome from any attempt by TheBrain software to sync a Google Drive Folder between two different Brain file locations. My enquiry was more along the lines of TheBrain recognizing similar file content found in different locations on different PCs to the extent of treating the files as the same.

Going further into the android eco-sphere, one will find that there is a very google-centric orientation built into the OS. Many apps that I use integrate with Google Drive. I'm sure your engineers will have an interesting time considering the issues that integration between TheBrain and the Google way will present. 

In the meanwhile, my thought would be to make three thoughts, one for each PC, and attach a local virtual folder to each as a child thought.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software