Mugsy323
Something that would make life a little easier would be the ability to "group" multiple individuals/events under a single "Group" collection, and linking someone/something to that group automatically creates a link to every member of that group.

For example, if I could create a "group" called "class reunion" and add members to it, this would also automatically link every member of that group to each other since they all attended the same reunion.

Presently, I must manually link each individual to every other individual in that group by hand, which can take a VERY long time. "Grouping" would speed that up immensely.

Thx.
-*- Mugsy -*-
metta
+1
ruudhein
A workaround could maybe be to use Tags?

"Class Reunion 2018" assigned to everyone
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | TheBrain v10.0.6.0
Mugsy323
ruudhein wrote:
A workaround could maybe be to use Tags?

In that particular example I gave, that would be helpful to at least show every individual associated with that subject, but there are other more complex situations where you might not know someone is connected to someone else until after a link is made. 🙁
-*- Mugsy -*-
ruudhein
So then the way I understand you, these people aren't already together somewhere under thought or so so you can multi-select them.

They're "everywhere" in your brain.

In that case a temp thought, tag, or type can help too.

Here's a test setup. As you can see, some people are direct children of one thought, others of another thought.

What they have in common is that I tagged all of them with a label Reunion:

1.jpg 

Now I'm going to connect John to all of these people.

I select the label Reunion. Then I control-click the label's gate to select all these people.

2.jpg 

Now I'm going to jump connect them to Paul:

3.jpg 

Still thinking within the current boundaries of TheBrain (my personal software experience has been not to hold out for features but work within existing ones instead), I think using a Thought as "the group" you mentioned makes more sense.

4.jpg 
5.jpg 
Mugsy323
ruudhein wrote:
So then the way I understand you, these people aren't already together somewhere under thought or so so you can multi-select them.

They're "everywhere" in your brain.

Thanks for all the work/detail.

Unfortunately for me, I'm using the free version which does not support tags, so I can't test your work-around to see if it does what I'd like.

I've created a complex mind map... what police would call a "Murder Board"... with dozens of individuals in it, looking for links between them. Linking "person-to-person" is pretty simple when there are just a few people. But if just ten people attended a single event, manually linking every person at that event to each other would require manually linking a factor of 10 (55) links! Yikes!

If instead, the program could automatically create those links between every individual for me simply by adding a person to a "group", that would be a huge time-saver. Then, if I link someone to anybody that just happened to be in a group, it would also link them to everyone in that group.

I don't know your workaround would do this because I can't test it out, but it looks very promising. Thanks.
-*- Mugsy -*-
ruudhein
You can test it out, or implement it, by using a Thought for all these people. Basically that Thought would represent your group of people.

It doesn't automatically interlink everybody but:

1. If you want to really link every person to every person based on person only then it makes the process of linking them much faster. One-click selects everybody under that Thought (Type/Tag), and then you can select the new person you created, and link everybody selected to them
  2. You can use the Thought (Type/Tag) as the thing that interlinks
So just use a Parent Thought as if it were a tag (just pretend) and see how that would work with multi-selecting and linking.
Mugsy323
ruudhein wrote:
You can test it out, or implement it, by using a Thought for all these people. Basically that Thought would represent your group of people.

I'm not sure if I follow you correctly, but that method created a bit of a mish-mosh for me.

Using my "Murder Board" example, I don't want my "Thought"/"Group" on the same level as my "Patient Zero" so it can't be a "Parent" with no links. And if I make the Thought a child, it creates a direct link to the Parent that should not exist.

I'd also prefer not to add more Objects/Members to my already crowded map. 🙁 I guess sticking with the Free version, I'll have to live with certain limitations, but relying on "workarounds" won't encourage me to upgrade any time soon. 😝
-*- Mugsy -*-

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software