Adathome
A brain-zip file with a "Getting Things Done" approach.

Feel free to give your comment and put your version of GTD here.

In my approach i don't use thought-names like; "work, home, personal and finished" but instead i give consequently every thought under GTD a thought-type; "GTD work, GTD home, GTD personal and GTD Finished".  

Mix all your thoughts about home, personal and work together in your GTD work-flow like in your real brain and use the report function to find all the thought-types like "GTD home" stuff etc.

Click image for larger version - Name: GTD_3.png, Views: 3765, Size: 126.62 KB
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
FransJehoul

Good afternoon,

Isn't it a pitty that dates have to be emulated in/as thoughts? Wouldn't be better that events (a special type of (visible) thoughts, like the (invisible) type thoughts) could be used in combination with the calendar?

BTW a nice implementation of GTD

Regards,

Frans

path
Every feature that could be implemented in the future and is listed somewhere in these forums is a "nice to have thing", except one thing:
CALENDAR !!! It's a MUST HAVE !!!
I tried Personal Brain 4 and now my trial Period is over.
Maybe an API would be nice to do whatever people want to do... i dont know.
But i really have to wait for good integrated Calendar.
It's just too much work to emulate a Calendar.

Pls pls pls pls put in a good Calendar, after that finish the API, then the rest...
...i really need the Calendar
Adathome
FransJehoul wrote: Isn't it a pitty that dates have to be emulated in/as thoughts? Wouldn't be better that events (a special type of (visible) thoughts, like the (invisible) type thoughts) could be used in combination with the calendar?

What can i say, in this forum a lot of discussion in the past about te calender function.

I don't use the PB calender at all. For me the UI isn't logical, only one way direccion, from event in the calender to find the thought and not from thought to find the event.  

Maybe with some small changes the calender can be more use-full.
- When there is a small icon or something like that so you can see that a thought is connected  with  a event in the calender;
- when you click on the event icon from a thought, automatically the tab of the calender and the event is in front;
- the possibility to create a new childthought name with the date by linking the thought to a date in the calender;

zenrain
Hum, I use the calendar extensively. My workflow is to put due dates on thoughts, and then at the beginning of the day, review the calendar, and activate the thought I need to work on.
I agree that it would help to have some sort of notification on the thought also that there is a due date, or something in the Calendar.
It seems much cleaner than creating thoughts for each day, and month and year though.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Adathome

zenrain wrote: It seems much cleaner than creating thoughts for each day, and month and year though.

The way your workflow is, looking everday on that particular date is workable but what do you do when you want to do an activity a few days ahead? you now a planning is always changing!  
- how do you search for thought information with a event in the calender when you don't no the date, looking in your calender on every date?
- how do you keep events in the calender in your brain for reference?
zenrain
I'm not sure my requirements are as rigid as yours. But, here's my answers

- what do you do when you want to do an activity a few days ahead?
If my task requires me to start several days earlier, then I enter two calendar entries for that thought. One is Start, and the second is Due. Since it lists the thought name in the calendar, I don't usually add any more information than that. If the task just requires that it's started and ends on the same day, I just use the Due entry.

- how do you search for thought information with a event in the calender when you don't no the date, looking in your calender on every date?
Usually if I have thoughts with date requirements, they are under one of three parent thoughts (although they may have other parent thoughts), under Inbox, Waiting for Someone, or Later. Thus all my thoughts with dates are easily found. I also use the Monthly calendar view to begin with, for an overview, and then go down to the week level if necessary (when I can't see everything in the box at the month level). So I pretty much have two ways that I can get to my date driven tasks (that aren't completed), the Calendar or Inbox etc.

- how do you keep events in the calender in your brain for reference?
If my task thoughts are permanent (sometimes they are just quick one offs that I don't need to retain for any reason), then I never delete the calendar entries. I just check the box on the calendar entry when they are completed, and unlink them from the Inbox parent. This way if I need to reference the dates associated with them in the future, I can always pull up the thought and look at the calendar for it's entries, or use the calendar to browse back by month to see what I did. This also allows me to view all thoughts completed on a specific prior date.

This works for me, although if you have more complex searching requirements, your mileage may vary. At least hopefully this gives a few ideas.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
Oh, one last thing, I don't use the calendar as a partial pane, in with the notes etc. I have it as an autohide tab on the side of the plex, so that when I mouse over it, it slides out over my notes and plex and takes about half of the screen. I've found if you use the calendar at all, it's really difficult if you don't have a large view to work with.

I do the same thing with search and reports. They are autohide tabs on the right side of my window. Notes, Properties and Attachments, and Details are in a permanent pane at the bottom of my window.
Click image for larger version - Name: plex.png, Views: 3316, Size: 304.86 KB Click image for larger version - Name: cal.png, Views: 3313, Size: 118.78 KB
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jamcar
zenrain wrote: Hum, I use the calendar extensively. My workflow is to put due dates on thoughts, and then at the beginning of the day, review the calendar, and activate the thought I need to work on.
I agree that it would help to have some sort of notification on the thought also that there is a due date, or something in the Calendar.
It seems much cleaner than creating thoughts for each day, and month and year though.

steve625
Nice example, I have used GTD for about 3 years now and find TheBrain to be the best tool I have ever come across for keeping track of projects, context etc.  I also use thought type to identify my action context @Call, @Office, @errands and so on.  What makes it so powerful is the ability to create a report by thought type, add it to selection, then copy to text.  Every morning I copy my @Calls, @Office etc to my Q (or Palm) so I have all my action lists with me on the go.  Each week I pull up the  report for thought type Projects, and can review all the Next Actions I have pending for the project.  I can review all the @Waiting for... simply by looking at another report.  My weekly review used to take the entire weekend, but know I can get through my 59 some odd projects etc in a regular afternoon.  Best thing I have ever used!!
sjeeke
Hi Steve625,

Can you elaborate a bit more how you link Next Actions (NAs) to Projects in PB?

I am wondering if I should go for PB or for the Gyronix add-in for MindManager for a GTD implementation using a Mind-Mapping like application. I would highly appreciate if you have some additional insights on how to use GTD with PB (as you have used PB for 3 years with GTD).

Cheers,

S

steve625
"Can you elaborate a bit more how you link Next Actions (NAs) to Projects in PB?"

S, happy to....

A "Project" according to David Allen is anything that requires more than one next action. (I would put quotes around, but I'm not sure if that is a exact quote or not).

My Brain is organized into many area's like most (I assume).  Each main thought (for example Family/Father/Husband) has attached as children thoughts, three (at least) they are: Discussion Areas, Library & Network (I stole this idea from TheBrain  web seminar on Innovation).

Under Discussion Areas, are additional thoughts (which have the POTENTIAL to turn into projects or there could be projects further down the tree ).  To continue with the Family/Father... role example, the names of my children...  Larry, Curly & Moe  (not their real names) would appear as children thoughts to Family/Father/Husband.    As a side note I love the whole comma idea to help identify who the parents are further down the line.

Larry, is involved in sports, scouting and is a student.   Here is where PB works to the N'th degree.  Right now Larry is really struggling in one of his classes in school. 

As a child thought to Larry is the name of the class...  English..  (again use the comma thing to identify that it is "Larry, English"  that is the child thought)  I have a thought type set up as "Project" complete with thought icon & color.  Then as children thoughts to the English "project" are all the "next action" thoughts I can come up with, or are currently taking place, or that I am waiting for.

To continue with the example.  Some of the children thoughts are:  email response from his teacher (which I dropped from outlook into its current location), his current assignment (which I have a link type set up as @home), last week assignment (which I have a link type set up as @Waiting For, because it hasn't shown up on the computer at the school as being turned in yet... Larry swears he turned it in) etc. etc.

What makes PB so powerful is the ability to turn on and off the thought type with just a right click of the button and I can move something from @Office to @Waiting For without having to completely move or relink to something else.   Any time I want to review all my @Waiting For, I can just pull up report and there they are.

One last point in my rather long winded example is that I often have many next actions that I have thought of as belonging to a project, but I either can't take the action now or I might not have to take at all.  In PB I can go ahead and link as a child thought to the project parent, and attach the thought link "Next Action"  without any context what so ever and know that I'll never loose the thought and if it does change to an action such as @Call, I'm just a right click away from putting it on my @Call list for tomorrow.

Hope this helps.....   Steve

steve625
S,   Sorry I just noticed a couple of areas I used thought link instead of thought type to describe the intended usage.  Hope you can make out the differences...   Steve
sjeeke
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the posting and explanation how you link GTD with PB. This was very helpful.

FYI: I am also looking forward to the webinar next week (7-feb-2008) about how to use PB to manage projects and events.

Cheers,

S

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software