rengel
That is breaking the metaphor of a tab. Just below the tab bar, there is ample room for a menu at the top of the working area.

PushingUpATabForAMenu.png 
Reinhard TB 9.0.263.0, WIN 10
mcaton
Thank you for posting. I'll share your thoughts with the design team.

Matt
zenrain
I would prefer NOT to have a menu area at the top of the content window. The current design works, provides good feedback for the active tab and provides more room for the content display.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mcaton
Thanks for the input Zen.  Looking at both sides of the coin is always welcome.

Thanks,
Matt
rengel
zenrain wrote:
I would prefer NOT to have a menu area at the top of the content window. The current design works, provides good feedback for the active tab and provides more room for the content display.

Yeah, many things just work. That makes me wonder why some people prefer a premium-priced Mercedes over a low-cost Toyota.
Could it be the quality of the design?

Compared to other world-class products in same price category (i.e. the IDEs of JetBrains) the attention to detail - the hallmark of a quality design - of ThBrain is wanting. 

If you don't follow the overarching principle that components with a similar functionality (in this case tabs and menus) should have a uniform design you don't get quality.

It took Microsoft years and many iterations to reach this goal with its Office product line. The lessons to be learned are out there if one wants to find them.
zenrain
Some people just have different opinions and preferences. There’s no need to imply I’m making do with a Yugo just because mine aren’t the same as yours. Or that because it doesn’t follow preconceived notions on tab behavior that it ain’t no fancy car. [wink]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
rengel
zenrain wrote:
Some people just have different opinions and preferences. There’s no need to imply I’m making do with a Yugo just because mine aren’t the same as yours. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything personal. 

I tried to say something about quality and criteria for quality design. These are not my preferences but the result of more than three decades of user interface design for PCs. As you are working on a Mac, I'm sure you are familar with the scrupulous attention to detail Apple laid down in the Apple user interface guidelines. To what end? To ensure that quality and user experience remain the same across diverse applications. That's the same attitude that makes a Mercedes a Mercedes.

This attention to detail is what I'm missing in TheBrain v.9. 
TheBrain is charging premium prices. I was willing to pay that price, but in return, I expected premium quality. In my postings since I bought v.9 a couple of days ago, I tried to communicate where quality is wanting, because there wasn't given enough attention to detail.

Of course, these tab menus work. They appear on some tabs and don't appear on others. But would you call that 'slick', a term used for (some) Apple products?

Is it user friendly, that one has to ask where the dialogs are, to create, edit, and delete tags and types independently of the thought property dialog, a feature that was avaible in v.8?

Is it consistent, if on the menu bar of a PDF file in the content area, there differently styled (!) icons for going to the next/previous and the first/last page, positioned at disjoint places? Even in ASCII we could do better: |< < > >|. This is the ubiquitous pattern for presenting such functionality.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software