asexymind
somehow, when I opened a thought, it appeared about 15 screens away from the rest of the thoughts on my screen. I "drug" the screen (following the links) up to the thought, screen after screen. Then, I un-anchored it, and it dutifully headed back towards all the other thoughts (now off-screen).

Challenge - I have zero orientation to where the other thoughts are. I can only see the background of my screen, which is white. So, after 4-5 minutes of systematically trying to find the other thoughts, I was just lost - like trying to find up from down.

Finally, I searched, found a thought that was connected to the other thoughts, selected it, and it showed up on screen - with a link pointing the way back to the herd...

It would be nice to have some "centering" function to avoid this...anyone know of one that I am missing?

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
dyslucksia
I think you mean Expanded View. I'm posting this so we can find this thread later by searching on Expanded.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
zenrain
No, you're not missing anything, sorry.  Thoughts still shoot off, and trying to find them is, well, almost impossible, especially after a period of time. Even if you click on the thought in the past thought list, it may take a period of time to center the thought, and the plex is blank until it does. 

Hopefully this will be addressed in a future beta release.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
What to do when a thought is lost, or you are lost, in expanded view:

Options:
A) swap to normal view: Bang! There you are.
Advantages: Instant
Disadvantages: You've lost all those thoughts floating around.
Note: You should link it back to the nexus you are interested in, before you swap back to expanded view

B) Hit the collapse all button. Bang! Their it is.

Advantages: Instant
Disadvantages: You've lost all those extra thoughts floating around.
Note: linking this thought to other thoughts will be trivial. No waiting for anything to show up, as any links will just pop up.

It is unfortunate that there isn't a "zip now!" command to make the plex display just jump straight to the thought you want. It is, once again, another point in PersonalBrain where the plex animation gets in the way. Frankly, the program would be 10 times more efficent in usage if the plex wasn't animated. I know the animation looks like to new users, but most experienced users tune it out, and it just gets in the way of us doing things. It is the plex animation that causes new thoughts and new links to FAIL in expanded view, which is frankly unforgivable in an information application.

-Darkstar
jostber
That centering function would be great to have in the Outline view too to quickly make the active thought the center of the plex.

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

Harlan
FYI, animation can be turned off in normal and expanded views. In expanded view it cannot be turned off because the calculation of thought locations is iterative and cannot be done instantly.

The problem with "getting lost" in expanded view is something that we are working on a solution to. It happens because when there are two disconnected groups of thoughts the "center" of the total area of thoughts is often located between these two groups, where there is nothing.
Regards,
-Harlan
Darkstar

What creates the problem in Expanded view is the (apparently) eternal repulsion of thoughts. You need that to be an "anti-gravity" force, where the further away a thought (or cluster) is from other thoughts, the less it repulses until after a set distance, there is no more repulsion, so the thought(s) stop travelling away from other thoughts, and the distance will no longer grow between thoughts. 

If you have any "inertia", remove it, and this will allow unconnected thoughts to stop travelling after going out the minimum distance. This will help to cut down on that LONG wait time if you jump between the already displayed unconnected thoughts. Of course, if activation just reset the plex at the new thought, rather then "travel" to it, long distance between thoughts wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

In a more complex system, I'd suggest you use a powerful "short ranged" repulsive force to keep thoughts naturally seperated, with a universal weak gravatic force to attract all thoughts to a common center. This could result in an system that never "settles", but that could be overcome fairly trivially by using a small cellular system that is used to map out the location of the thoughts and allowing anything within a certain amount of screen space to count as "done" when making an adjustment. Then you wouldn't need to update the placement of thoughts unless a new thought is added, a thought is deleted, or a displayed thought changes its cell placement (due to user or other thoughts coming into its short repulsing range).

Well, that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are better answers out there.

As for "getting lost"--- if you just put a small highlighted arrowhead on the plex edges to show that an unconnected thought(s) is in that direction, users would then know which direction to go to find those other thoughts. If a user knows where the other "unconnected" thoughts are, they could then eventually find them. You don't need arrow heads to ALL the in plex non-connected thoughts--- just the CLOSET in that direction. And if the user mouses over that arrowhead, I'd suggest a small "tool tip" style pop up text showing the shortened thought name (so they can figure out which of the arrows is pointing to what they are after).
-Darkstar
zenrain
Please increase the rate of thought entropy!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
Exactly!
-Darkstar
Steeph
Darkstar wrote: What creates the problem in Expanded view is the (apparently) eternal repulsion of thoughts. You need that to be an "anti-gravity" force, where the further away a thought (or cluster) is from other thoughts, the less it repulses until after a set distance, there is no more repulsion, so the thought(s) stop travelling away from other thoughts, and the distance will no longer grow between thoughts.

The dev team should add some Dark Energy for Darkstar. If they can find any though, astronomy can't so far
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
dyslucksia
I think I prefer a steady-state universe to a Big Bang.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Harlan
Unfortunately we do understand quite well how this problem is caused and you'll all have to trust me... It's just not that simple.
Regards,
-Harlan
Darkstar
Harlan, it is ALWAYS simple--- when you aren't the one that has to do the work.

Steeph, PB's Expanded View plex has plenty of Dark Energy. Dark Energy is the simple expansion of empty space--- and the Plex seems to have that to spare. What we need is some "dark matter" hanging out with our thoughts, so that they all try to slowly collect into one collective mass.
-Darkstar
asexymind
This is the problem... - black holes are really no fun after the event horizon...
--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software