Rob2050
Looking for some advice on how to structure many to many relationships. I know broadly the answer to everything is "there are lots of ways to do it" but looking for specifics on how you did something similar.

1. I have groupings of things (books, musicians, movies, etc.) where I may want a full broad collection and then I want Books I Like (or Favorite Books). From a parent thought of Favorites I want books, musicians, movies, etc. as the next level down. So do I create one parent of Books and one partent of Favorite Books? That seems redundant and maybe I am missing a better approach

2. Biographical events. I have created a Thought for every Year (somewhat inspired by Jerry's brain). I can see connecting world events to a year, but then I also want a smaller collection of MY events for a year. Do I create two different 2018s one for the general and one for me?

I hope these examples make sense, but broadly I am talking about when things fall in to multiple hierarchies.

all suggestions welcome!
Rob.
ruudhein
I'll just use some examples of my own brain.

movies.jpg 

tv.jpg 

timeline.jpg 

As you see, I use the comma notation quite frequently. In the last screenshot I keep the mouse over the "TV Series" entry so you see it actually reads "TV Series, 2018"; the other related thoughts also have ", 2018" appended but as "2018" is the focused thought, they all appear without it, making for a nice clean look.

Here's an expanded author/people/books view:

author.jpg 

The title of the book has a parent, the author, which lives in People. It's a Book. It was read in 2010. The book is related to several Microsoft projects Gordon worked on.

So, when do you create a new parent, child, or jump? For me TheBrain is a priori associative. So in my 2018 timeline, it just makes sense for me to think "ah yes, and what did I watch or read that year?" That book? That relates to this project. That author? Wrote this book. Gordon worked with Jim Gray (jump) who mysteriously went missing during a boat trip (child). Both worked for Microsoft (Microsoft, People with Microsoft going back to Companies).

In general I'll add something to a general top level parent, just so it has a fixed place. Then I'll add it to relevant other thoughts.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.0.263.0
Rob2050
Thanks, very much appreciate your examples. I am doing similar. So for that book then, is it linked up to "Books" and also "Books I Read" and "Books I Read, 2018" and potentially "Books About Microsoft" and "Non-Fiction Books" ?

Any tips on how you do Timeline? So you have a year 2018, how do you decide what things to link to a Year or do you have sort of standard categories (nodes?) that you put under each year?

For example I have Places I have worked and Places I have Lived, and I want to know the range of years, but I am not sure that i will link them to Year thoughts.
Rob2050
Am watching some of Jerry's videos... he does not seem to use the comma approach. He has Types and he has music, but his union thought is Types of Music spelled out. I assume it is a preference to use or not use the comma.
ruudhein
Quote: So for that book then, is it linked up to "Books" and also "Books I Read" and "Books I Read, 2018" and potentially "Books About Microsoft" and "Non-Fiction Books" ?

The master category in this case is Books. Then I also link it to Books Read, 2018. Most of my books I read -- if I didn't read it, it just won't have a "Books Read" parent. So if my query would be "but damn, what are all the books I read at any time?!" I basically can look at my list of Books. If I need it to be precise I can go select the Books Read years → right-click selection → select related thoughts → children and I have my list.

If I would categorize (non)fiction then yes, I would give it the appropriate parent.

In the example of Total Recall the book is only distantly related to Microsoft, not about Microsoft, so I associate it with the projects related to this book -- and those projects relate back to MS, just like Gordon Bell does.

Quote: Any tips on how you do Timeline? So you have a year 2018, how do you decide what things to link to a Year or do you have sort of standard categories (nodes?) that you put under each year?

I run an ongoing log/diary in Evernote. That's where I note almost every little thing. Journal sometimes but mostly logging. Did this, met XYZ, ate ABC, watched DEF, etc. Already do that for a good 10 years and it has proven itself to be useful. "When did we last...?", "when did we see...?", "since when do we know...?" etc. But some events get snowed under like that. Those bigger events I add to my year timeline. "M lost tooth", "A died", "bought car", etc. 

Every year also has jump thoughts for Bought, Books, Movies, TV. Recalling those triggers memories of that time for me.

Quote: For example I have Places I have worked and Places I have Lived, and I want to know the range of years, but I am not sure that i will link them to Year thoughts.

Matter of preference and if I'm backlogging or not. In my Places We Lived I have the addresses. When I click on one I see when we moved there. A move is a Big Event to me so I will have it linked in my year timeline.

An important aspect to keep in mind with the whole setup is that nothing is set in stone; it's organic. So you added that you work at ACME. Then later you make an entry about Jenny, whose phone number you still have. Jenny is with ACME so it reminds you of that time with her, so you link it. And oh! That reminds you of that funny anecdote the doorman told you, so you add that too:

2018.jpg 
While working on your brain you find some other funny stuff, so you create a Funny Stuff thought and then or later realize the funny anecdote could also be added to it.

funny.jpg 

And who knows, maybe by the end of the year when you revisit Funny Stuff you feel you need to take a few minutes to group all anecdotes together and all brain jokes, but you don't have enough cat material to warrant a new place.

Quote: I assume it is a preference to use or not use the comma.

Always. But also: search.

b1.jpg 
b2.jpg 

versus:

b3.jpg 
b4.jpg 

Makes it a lot easier to immediately go to "software wiki" instead of software → wiki or the general topic wiki and work back.

I notice I use it mostly for information that would appear elsewhere as well. So I have "Movies, A", "People, A", "Movies Seen, 2018", etc.

Quote: I can see connecting world events to a year, but then I also want a smaller collection of MY events for a year. Do I create two different 2018s one for the general and one for me?

I would. Not saying that is the way to go; just saying that's the way I would go. 2018 with a jump thought to "World News, 2018" or "World Events, 2018"

After having been on a TB hiatus I can say upon rediscovering my joy for TB that the power lays in its free associations, the discovery of connections. I can quickly do a search in Evernote for Gordon Bell but no matter how complete that entry would be, I would never see these far away connections:

discover.jpg 
ruudhein
To come back to:

Quote: He has Types and he has music, but his union thought is Types of Music spelled out. I assume it is a preference to use or not use the comma.

The "beauty" of the comma "trick" is that it will hide the common denominator. 

comma.gif 
zenrain
A picture is worth a thousand words:

Book.png 

The image is of a Book Series. I first create a Parent thought for that series and link it to the Genre it's in, and the author (if the book isn't in a series it's linked directly to the genre and author). 
There are 4 Thought Types represented in the picture:
  • Read - The two child thoughts on the left, a sub-type of Book
  • Unread - the child thought on the right, a sub-type of Book
  • Person (also has a link type) - The author
  • Topic - used to signify the thought is used for classification, used for both the series and the genre

Using thought types this way, I can run reports easily to see what books I have read, or not read, or just see all thoughts which represent a book.

In addition, I can tell at a glance how I rated it using the following tags:
Tags.png 
Which are represented in the plex by it's icon (v9 only). I also create a timeline event for when I'm reading or have read the book.

I use the .1, .2 trick prepended to the thought name to force the order (v9 only). Also, in the label I have the name of the series and the position in the series. For example, The Way of Kings label is 'The Stormlight Archive 1'

This will cause the book to appear when I type in "stormlight" in the search window (v9 only) which is a very useful timesaver. [smile]
Search.png 

I do something similar for movies:
Movie.png
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
Also, I keep the notes consistant:
MovieNotes.png 

You'll notice there is a table in there. While you can't create tables in TB 9, you can paste them from html. [wink]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
Multipass.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
ruudhein
The star icon is a 5 star rating tag, right?

I like the icon you picked for Topic. I have mine called "Binder Thought" at the moment, indicating the thought contains multiple things vs just one thought, using a yellow folder....but I think I might go with your icon choice [smile]

I notice I use a limited amount of Types, a handful of Link Types (person, company/organization, stats, video/audio, binder thought), and hardly any tags. I had started to use year tags but stopped. "Needs Attention" is a nice tag [smile]

Do you use (Link) Types and Tags a lot to organize?
zenrain
Yes, the stars are for ratings, and I use them for books, movies, products, coffee... a lot. 

I do use types and tags quite a bit. For me:
  • A thought represents something (for example a book, a movie, a web page, an article, a to do, a project, a file)
    • or a hierarchy (where I use topic type)
  • A thought type is used to collect groupings for either reporting or assigning colors or icons (or both). For example, books, people, movies, projects)
  • A link type represents a specific relationship or an easy way to assign link settings. 
  • A type represents a status or something I want to do with the thought, or have done with it. For example, revisit (my version of your Needs attention), the rating system, interesting, task, frequent, next, currently (for currently working on).

So I primarily use types for reporting and collection, and tags for easily grouping statuses. So I do technically use them as an organization system, but for specific purposes.

Update: Here's my full list o'tags:

Tags2.png
A
nd Link Types:

Link Type.png 

Notice the one with the note emoji is specifically for when I add a note to a link.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
A tip if you decide to implement the rating system: I put 5 Stars, 4 Stars etc. in the label so when I search and type "1 star" it will come up for me.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Rob2050
Great advice guys! Appreciate the time. I am definitely looking for more of this practical tips. If you have other organizational/structure tips, let me know.

Quote: After having been on a TB hiatus I can say upon rediscovering my joy for TB that the power lays in its free associations, the discovery of connections.

This describes me exactly, have been away for several years. Of course I know wish that I had kept it up all these years but such is life!

ruudhein
Quote: This describes me exactly, have been away for several years. Of course I know wish that I had kept it up all these years but such is life!

I at least have 1 system almost "complete": Evernote. Using Filterize all notes have date tags so I've now started to every day do a search for that day and add some stuff from Evernote to TheBrain. By the end of this year I'll have processed it all [smile] My wife colors me crazy for doing this but hey, some are into gaming, some are into this [smile]

had to step away as I didn't "trust" my brain around version 7. Weird little things, weird little data moments. Plus, after having stepped away and acquired experience with other data consistency, I have a much better feel for what I want from the brain now.

Quote: Update: Here's my full list o'tags: [...] And Link Types:

Thanks! Very helpful! Mind sharing your Types?

Quote: the rating system

You use unicode characters to get the stars?
zenrain
Work / Personal Brain
TypesW.png  TypesP.png 

I work on macOS, so it has a character viewer. I seached for Star and found it. So.. no. [smile]

These are the ones I use if it helps: ★☆
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software