Cerebrum
I rarely use any of the menu items in Notes and I would like to turn off the menu, and then turn it on for those rare occasions when I need one of the functions.

From the first time that I used Notes in VB9, I found the on-and-off menu to be distracting.

If there were only two choices: 1) Have the menu always visible or 2) the current behavior, I would pick having it always visible. If though, the two choices were: 1) Have the menu always visible or 2) have a way of hiding and displaying the menu, I would choose #2.

Best for me: Choose which icons are visible in the Notes menu, along with the option to hide the menu.

I know that the reason for hiding the menu automatically is to reduce screen clutter but I find it annoying.
mcaton
Cerebrum,

Thank you for posting.  I see a few different requests in this post.  Options for Off/Auto/On and a request to select which buttons appear when the tool bar is being displayed.

I'll document your requests.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
I, too, have found the on/off display of the notes menu to be quite distracting, and I second the request to have toggle (on/off) control over the menu display -- but for the opposite reason.

I personally prefer to keep the note menu turned ON since I use the notes menu so frequently.

- - - - - - - - - -

Related to this is a secondary (but related) issue, which may have already been mentioned and documented. Specifically, with the notes editor currently defaulting to the "off" setting (with the menu hidden), the user has to click in the notes area to activate the editor (and the menu) before highlighting text to make formatting edits or insert a link.

This extra mouse click could be completely eliminated if users had the option of simply keeping the notes editor (and the notes menu) turned ON by default.
jbaty
I would also like to toggle the notes menu manually. 

The auto-hide implementation may have been done in response to complaints of the menu taking up so much space in v8. As is, I like the notes much better in v9, but rarely use the menu and also find the auto-hide behavior a bit distracting.

One behavior I would like changed is shown in the following capture. It shows what happens when I double-click on the word "note" when the menu is not displayed. There are 2 things here. Most importantly, the wrong word is selected, but also the words I'm working with move out from under me. Minor but disconcerting.

jumpy.gif 
mcaton
Jack,

Thanks for posting and including the gif.  I see the obvious 'jump' in the text to make room for the toolbar, but I haven't replicated the wrong word being selected as seen in your image?  What OS are you using?

Thank you,
Matt
zenrain
I'm able to recreate this also in macOS 10.12.2 on both MacBook Pro laptops.

If I'm not in edit, double click any word except the first word in the note it will change to Edit and select the incorrect word. Usually the first word in the first paragraph, unless I double-click any word in a second paragraph, when it highlights a completely different word.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mcaton
We've replicated the "wrong word being selected" issue on Brain Notes in macOS.  Documented for review.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Any update on whether or not consideration is being given to providing users with the option of toggling the notes menu permanently ON or OFF by default, based on their particular preference?

Looks like we have users on both sides of the fence here (some want the menu OFF all the time, others want it ON) -- and yet we all agree that the current set-up, with the Notes menu constantly appearing and disappearing, is quite distracting visually.

In addition, the current set-up also creates extra mouse clicks for those of us who would like to be able to keep the menu ON by default.

Will be looking forward to your feedback on this feature request.
zenrain
Quote: In addition, the current set-up also creates extra mouse clicks for those of us who would like to be able to keep the menu ON by default.

If I remember correctly, in TheBrain 8 the notes menu was always available, but you had to select the notes pane somehow (either by clicking or keyboard shortcut) to be able to apply a menu option or interact with it. If this is correct, it's the same behavior in TheBrain 9, you still have to select the notes pane somehow to interact with it. Doing that either by mouse or keyboard shortcut activates the menu, so I don't believe this is adding an extra mouse click.

As far as the menu disappearing and appearing, I like that it shows the menu bar when I'm editing, and hides it when I'm not. However, I suspect I'd try turning it off by default just to see how it went (this would force me to assign and use keyboard shortcuts which would probably be quicker in the long run).
I think I'd be in the same boat as Cerebrum:

Quote: If though, the two choices were: 1) Have the menu always visible or 2) have a way of hiding and displaying the menu, I would choose #2.

So I'd be quite happy with having the options to default the note menu to on, default the note menu to off, and the current behavior of show and hide menu based on use.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta

metta wrote: ...yet we all agree that the current set-up, with the Notes menu constantly appearing and disappearing, is quite distracting visually.
Apologies for any confusion here. The context for making this comment was "we" being people who are not happy with the menu appearing and disappearing. I realize there are many people happy with, and enjoying, the menu exactly as it is.

zenrain wrote: If I remember correctly, in TheBrain 8 the notes menu was always available, but you had to select the notes pane somehow (either by clicking or keyboard shortcut) to be able to apply a menu option or interact with it.

Actually, this is not how the notes work in my Win7 installation of TB8.
-- In TB8 the note editor is ON by defaultThis means that in my installation of TB8, text can be highlighted and immediately edited without any extraneous mouse clicking. Not so in TB9.

-- In TB9, the note editor is OFF by default. The editor, and the note menu, are immediately activated with a mouse click in the note field. As a result, this creates at least 2 instances where extra mouse clicks are required.

(1) There is an extra mouse click any time you want to highlight and edit existing text in the note editor.
-- Notice that any highlight you add with the menu HIDDEN will disappear with the first mouse click, which opens the editor and activates the menu.
-- Then you have to re-highlight the text again to be able to interact with the note menu.

(2) Any time you've been working in the note field, an extra click is required to access the +# attachment tab (if the attachments are displaying as tabs above the note editor):
-- The first click will close the editor.
-- The second click will allow you to view the list of attachments on the +# tab.

Both of these problems could be resolved for those of us who use the notes editor frequently by providing an option for us to keep the notes editor (and the note menu) turned ON by default.

For those who are happy with the current menu/editor behavior, no change would be needed at all.

zenrain
Good points, thanks Metta. 
Quote: Notice that any highlight you add with the menu HIDDEN will disappear with the first mouse click, which opens the editor and activates then menu.
-- Then you have to re-highlight the text again to be able to interact with the note menu.

Yes, this is a side effect of the change state. I missed this, and you are right, I run into this quite a few times each day and it's annoying. I think (hope) I posted about this somewhere. 

Edit2: Whew, I did.

Quote: (2) Any time you've been working in the note field, an extra click is required to access the +# attachment tab (if the attachments are displaying as tabs above the note editor):

Hmmm, this is not the behavior in macOS, when editing the note and clicking an attachment tab it activates immediately. I would find this annoying also.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Thanks for your feedback, zenrain. It is always helpful to know how TheBrain works on different systems.

Thanks also for providing the link to your previous feedback on the first issue! I had remembered seeing it, but wasn't able to find it again to include when I submitted my previous post.

Good to have it documented here for future reference. :-)
metta
I seem to recall seeing an announcement here in the forum some time ago indicating we now have an option to set the note menu to display in full mode (with no pull down shortcuts), and I saw Matt's V9 brain set to display this way in today's productivity webinar.

However, I've lost track of how to do this.

Could someone please remind me how to set the note menu to automatically open in full view with no shortcuts?

Thanks,
Metta

P.S.
FYI, Matt, this was the question I asked in today's webinar -- not how to open the notes themselves into full view. ;-)
zenrain
Go to:

Preferences > UI 
Uncheck Use Compact toolbars for notes
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Thanks, ZenRain! Appreciate you being available and willing to provide quick and helpful feedback. :-)

Will make this change as soon as I can get TB9 up and running again.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software