sandysantra
I tried deleting a brain with Finder (I'm on a Mac), but when I went back into PB, it was still there on the list; accessing it caused all sorts of errors.

I really need to delete a Brain completely, so that I can then recreate it with the same name.

Please advise. Any help appreciated.

zenrain
If you have deleted the .brain file and _brain folder than it should be completely gone.
However, PB will try and open the last brain you had open, so I usually open another brain, and remove the button in the toolbar (if I added one) prior to deleting the file and folder.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
sandysantra
That worked!  Thanks.
sandysantra
No, wait--it's still on the splash screen opening menu.  How do I get rid of it?  I can't create a new brain with the same name until I do!
zenrain
I just tested this (ok, I didn't delete the brain, I just moved it ), and when I opened it up it went to the splash screen.
I then selected new brain, typed in the same name with the original location and it worked for me.

What behavior are you seeing?

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
sandysantra
I'm good now.  The key was removing the "brain button" from the top before deleting the files.  The named brain still showed up on the opening splash screen, and of course wouldn't open (because the files were gone), but I was now able to create a new brain with the same name.

I'm surprised, though, that there isn't some way to delete a brain from within PB.

BrainyBill
Zenrain, my situation is similar though the circumstances are a bit different. How can the past created/opened brains on the splash screen be removed? Where is that stored in Personal Brain? In an ini file? In the registry? In a log file?

Thank you.

zenrain
It's the the same list as at the bottom of the File menu dropdown. I'm not sure where it is stored,and at least on the Mac I'm not seeing a clear recent files option (some programs have a clear list feature on the same list).

Sorry, hopefully someone on from the Brain team can provide more information.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
BrainyBill
Many thanks.
DSilvius
Snadysantra, I deleted the brain files and have the same issue with the splash screen. My deleted brain files have been cleared from trash. How do you "remove the "brain button" from the top"? I'm not following. I also can't do it before deleting the brain files because they're already gone. (i'm using the mac version as well). Any thoughts?
kipwilliams
I'm able to remove deleted brains from the splash screen by going to the file menu and using the brains list at the bottom. When I click on a brain that no longer exists it prompts with: "This Brain does not exist. Remove from the list?"

Hope that helps. 
DGBurtch
Good thread. I'm playing with PB 6.0 under Ubuntu 10.04. Same issue with PB entries showing on splash screen after deleting brain files.

Solution for me: open the file manager to the directory (in Ubuntu, the file manager will show 'Home', under 'Places' on the top menu bar. Click on it)

/home/dgburtch/

Turn on 'show hidden files' option, under 'view', to see and access the PB directory

/home/dgburtch/.personalbrain

You will see a file in in the directory

'TheBrain6Preferences.xml'

Open this with an editor (I used LibreOffice) 

Near the bottom of the file, are the entries for Brains displayed on the splash screen. Line references show 'Brain 0", "Brain 1" etc, with the name you've given to the brain in question. 

Simply delete the offending line with the brain name that no longer exists. 

Save the file, run PB, and the entry on the splash screen should be no more...

Not sure if it's possible to cross-ref this entry to the Linux forum, but I didn't see this thread there.

Regards

Dave

Running PB on Ubuntu 10.04
zenrain
Just to update this again, you should be able to click on the brain in the splash screen, or from the File dropdown menu.
It will give you an error that the brain isn't found, and then remove from both places.
Tested in Windows, but I believe the behavior is the same on OS X (not sure about Linux).
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software