iOnChristopher
I got twisted in a new account / old account that I trusted sales to resolve (It's taken 48 hours on the clock and two hours of my time.) And I'm still going because I ended up losing brains - they're in there, but I have no idea how to open them since there is no "open a brain" command - just import.

Okay, I know that Harlan wants to eliminate every non essential button - but both sales and support left me 24 hours so far waiting, and I've got a critical deadline, and the answer is NOT ANYWHERE - to the question, WHY IS THERE NO "BRAIN/OPEN" command? I really shouldn't have spent more than FIVE MINUTES / ONE EMAIL - Boom! on this upgrade (from a 1998 purchase, fyi, thank you Harlan.) instead of a COUPLE HOURS in 2 days and counting.

So I assume I have to use the command that IS universal (I am feeling the light from above) - import - even though yesterday I had all these brains working. Cause the only file that's available is a *.brz. I'm just worried there's another gotcha coming - yes I "backed up" the directories by making a copy. Why don't you guys work weekends? I have to.
metta
Unfortunately, there's a major server problem right now that is affecting everyone:
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/impossible-to-have-access-to-my-brains-9463537

When the servers are working properly, you should be able to access and open all your brains by clicking the plus sign (+) in the tab row immediately beneath the top menu bar. Specifically, under normal working conditions, the plus sign will bring up a screen where all your brain are listed, and you click to open the brains(s) you need.

However, this may not be possible right now if you are not already logged into TB9's web server.

I hasten to add, I certainly share your frustration and concern about this access issue, as well as the fact that the "streamlined" interface seems to leave so much to the imagination....
Moltaire
Streamlined interface = dumbed down?...
metta
My concern as well, Moltaire....
zenrain
Moltaire wrote: Streamlined interface = dumbed down?...

Not my experience. YMMV. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
To answer the original question, yes, File > Import for new upgrades. You can either point to a .brz file or choose the v8 database. Once they are imported into TheBrain 9 you can open them as usual.

This is because the database architecture changed considerably from v8 to 9 and the data must be updated to the different format  
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
See this thread for detailed information on what it is doing. In essence, it's not actually updating the data, it's migrating the data to a whole new database, which is why it can't just open.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
iOnChristopher
These brains were created with the same revision, whatever it is. Read the OP. Thank you ms Metta. I don't want to have to assume things - like that the brain can figure out that I'm trying to import a brain that doesn't need to be imported and just open it. Every time I give an inch it costs a foot. OUCH! So, onward.
iOnChristopher
Still not resolved. Does anyone know how to tell the brain CPU where the brain is? When I attempt to import the BRZ file that was made in a brain's main folder, it refuses. The error message says "the brain already exists" - and I can "change the GUID" or "delete the brain." It also won't open it - there is no thumbnail and no brain name for any of the four brains sitting in that directory, and it reports a problem and offers to send email.

Also should mention that I got an email with a link from my first emailed support request late Friday, but can't find an entry in the support section - don't know what's going on there.

Yeah - How's your Sunday going?
iOnChristopher
APPARENTLY, there is no way to import or open a version 9 brain, that is not already in the system. It has to be a backed up or exported BRZ file. But I can't create a backup or *.brz file unless I can open it to do so. FYI, it was created using the free version on a different account in a different directory on the same machine. Does anyone have an idea here?

I have a critical deadline. This has been since Friday.

I guess the only work around is to swap accounts, which will give me the free version, open the brains in the original directory, and then export them. And then switch accounts again and import the BRZ files. Mind you this is all to open a brain in the pro version. Okay? Harlan...
iOnChristopher
Nope - dead end there as well. I don't even know what's going on between cloud server and local. This is not transparent, and has become totally unmanageable. Exactly what I expected - which is why I asked Brigette to take care of it on Thursday.

(Well - they're supposed to know when to call in a heavy hitter for an assist, no?)
iOnChristopher
Dead in the water. Rocks on the shoreline. It's Holloween around here.
iOnChristopher
FOLKS, There HAS to be a way to just OPEN a local V9 brain. It just has to be there. Why wouldn't it be there?
metta
iOnChristopher ~

Are you on a Mac or a PC? (Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions if you are on a Mac.)

However, if you are on a PC:
  • Are you able to navigate to the brain .db file in the My Documents section of your Windows Explorer?
  • If so, can you right click on the .db file in question and open with TB9?

Just trying to see if we can find a way to get you in.....

Of course, if you've created several brains using your free account, you may have to open each of them to figure out which is the one you need (another frustration for many of us with the new file storage system since the brains are numbered, not named), but even that would be a worthwhile exercise IF it would allow you to open and access the brain you need right now.

Please let us know if you make any progress.....or if you need help specifically from a Mac user....@ZenRain, perhaps?
zenrain
1. Can you log in to TheBrain using your old account? If so, are the brains listed there? If so, can you open them? 
If you cannot open them, my advice is to send both a copy of the error message and the output.log to support. You can get the log file using an option under the Help menu.

2. If you can open the database using your old account, first, make a brain zip. Make sure you select the option to allow anyone to open that file (it’s the second radio button). 
After you have made a successful backup, I would now right-click the brain and choose to reassign the GUID. Do this for any brains you need to transfer over. Then Restart TheBrain.

After restarting TheBrain, log out of your old account and into the new one. Choose File > Import and point to your new brainzips. 
If you receive any errors or messages, note them and also grab the logs and send them to support. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software