galactic_star
Hello,

Anybody experience this? How do you organize/manage it?

Example 
Thought : Population
This is linked to a website about population
Youl create a Thought: Population Website

You found another source for population, this time its a book
You read the book and link another thought: Population Growth to thought: Population 
and also you create a Book Thought to Population Thought

And you add more Thoughts to Population like Exponential Growth and other websites which is not related to the Book thought

The problem is when time passed you forget what is related to the Book thought, what do you do so you know the thoughts are connected to the Book?
shatcher
Galactic,

On my Brain, I would make Population Growth a child of Population and a jump link to Book, then write a quick note in Book "How quickly do populations grow?" This way I can see that the two are related, and I know what originally prompted me to link Population Growth.

Cheers, Sean
enkidu
Depends on your way of working :

either
- "Population" is a thought, everything related to it is in the Notes
or
- "Population" is a parent thought, everything related to it is a child thought

of course, if you have many thoughts referencing books, then you might be tempted to have a Thought "Books".

Personally, I tend to prefer a graphical approach - meaning everything is a thought.
I create two thoughts subtrees : DATA and METADATA, so I can crossreference correctly.
Thought categorisation in TheBrain is one my greatest impediments to using it in all my work.
A lot of time is required to plan your thought organization if you want to keep it crystal-clear.

cheers
enkidu
metta
Not sure if this directly answers your question, but there are several different strategies I use, depending on the context and my current needs:

(1) For links that are all closely related, I sometimes create ONE thought, and add ALL the related attachments to the single thought. Then, in the notes section, I explain which attachment is which and how they are related.

(2) When I want to set up completely separate thoughts, I frequently create a single thought "header" and put the related items (or common sources) underneath as child thoughts. In this case, I often use specific thought types to identify the "source":
> Book type
> Link type (referring to web site URL)
> People type, etc.

(3) In scenario #2, if the single thought header is connected more closely to some child thoughts than others, I use a slightly larger (bolder) link style to demonstrate a stronger connection between parent and child.

(4) In scenario #2, I also often link closely related siblings as jump thoughts.

Finally, although I have not does this as much, you could also consider using either of the following devices to further describe relationships:
> Link labels and/or
> Tags

Hope this provides some options that may help you more clearly illustrate (1) the source/thought relationships as well as (2) your original rationale for setting up the connections/relationships in the first place.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software