SteveZ

Hello,

Pardon what is probably a dumb question, but I just downloaded the latest update to version 7 and saw that there is now a 64 bit installer to go along with the 32 bit. I tried running the 64 bit and got a message that I needed to upgrade my Java to run that version, so I want back and just installed the 32 bit. Anyway, my question is am I losing any performance running the 32 bit? Should I upgrade my Java and go that route. My computer is only a few months old, so I don't see any problem running 64 bit, it is just that in the past (on other computers) I've had issues after upgrading Java, so I don't want to do it unless there is a reasonable reason.

Thank you.

Steve
Tracy
Hi Steve,
No, this is a great question to clarify. If you are running Windows 64 bit, then you could install either without problem. The main reason why you would want to make sure you pick the Brain 64 bit installer is if also use Outlook 64 bit and you want to drag and drop from Outlook into your Brain. If this is the case, then you would need to install the 64 bit in order to support this functionality. Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
SteveZ

Tracy, I appreciate the speediness of your response. Thank you.

Steve
Spacenexus
Thanks Tracy. Could you also clarify if the 64bit version is 'backward' compatible with 32bit office and other software or are the two formats mutually exclusive? The reason I'm asking is that I'm tempted to explore the 64bit version to observe if there are performance improvements in Win7 64bit but don't want to lose compatibility with the 32bit office and other software I use.

thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
zenrain
Quote:  Could you also clarify if the 64bit version is 'backward' compatible with 32bit office and other software or are the two formats mutually exclusive? The reason I'm asking is that I'm tempted to explore the 64bit version to observe if there are performance improvements in Win7 64bit but don't want to lose compatibility with the 32bit office and other software I use.

Ditto.

macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Tracy
Hi Jim,

The 64-bit Brain is not compatible with Outlook 32bit / Office 32bit. Now, just to point out,  the 64-bit version of TheBrain will not work on a 32-bit Windows computer. Please let me know if that clarifies everything for you. Tracy 
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
Spacenexus

OK thanks Tracy all clear. I'll set up a sandbox on a secondary computer and run some comparisons there.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
HeinrichUnger

HI Tracy,

must I do something differnt to install 64 Bit version. Downloaded the new version but it is still 32 Bit? And does not workt togehter with 64 Bit

pthompson
Hello All,

Due to product quality issues, TheBrain 7 (64-bit) for Windows has been temporarily removed from the download page until further testing can be performed. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Regards,
SteveZ
Uh, if we've already installed the 64-bit version, should we uninstall it and reinstall the 32-bit version?
Steve
HeinrichUnger

Hi Patrick,

thank you for information - nevertheless it is a good message that you will support Office 64Bit and WIndows64 Bit.

BR

Heinrich

pthompson
Steve,

The main issue involved with the 64-bit version was cross-compatibility with other 64-bit applications and we want to make sure everything is working correctly before making it available again.

Regards,

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software