PaulaO
Can someone point me to a How-To on text outlines? Like what we can create to import?

I have some data I'd like to import and working on it in Notepad++ is easier to do the skeleton of it.

I tried using my Google-Fu but didn't find what I needed.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
shatcher
Hi Paula,

Creating text outlines for import is mostly a matter of the right spacing/indentation. I attached a sample .txt file that you can copy and Paste as Text Outline in a Brain. The tab formatting is the important part, that doesn't carry over in many text fields (including this one).

The included example should look like this:
Text Outline Format.png 
Cheers, Sean
Kriggel23
... BUT: existing thoughts with same name are NOT detected! In the example above, if you paste outline a second time, all of these thoughts (text outline, Thought level 1, Sibling Level 1, Thought Level 2) will be created a second time, without giving you an information or a choice what to create, or to reuse.

Open issue: #1635 from Nov 23, 2016

Christian
mcaton
Christian,

In an outline, hash tags (pound signs) can be used to indicate a link to a Thought that has already been created.

Try importing the attached outline.

In general:
  • Each line becomes a thought.
  • Indentation created using tabs show hierarchical relationships.
  • Line starting with - (dash) are added as notes.
  • Lines starting with a + (plus) are added as Web link attachments.
  • Labels can be added to a thought by separating them with a | (pipe) on the same line as the name.
And one last tip to share... If you are creating your outline in excel, be sure to add a space before a special character such as dash, plus or pipe. If you don't, Excel will think you are working with Value formatting, SUM, etc.

Matt
PaulaO
So if I had one Thought called Method and wanted to link to it in Production, I'd have a text that said, essentially,

(tab)Production
(tabtab)Research
(tabtab)#Method

And the link would happen?

Is there a way to add types and tags in a text outline?
PaulaO
Never mind. I see that in the second .txt you shared.
Kriggel23
Matt,

just a second: 
Quote:
In an outline, hash tags (pound signs) can be used to indicate a link to a Thought that has already been created.
"

Can't be serious?! I myself shall check before pasting whether these thoughts are unique, and mark any candidate with a has tag? No, please, change that!!

I might be wrong, but there should be a database within or behind TB, and checking for duplicates before insert or update should be pretty easy. Especially when TB already offers something like a report to list any double thoughts ...

Christian
shatcher
Christian,

If you copy some Thoughts as a text outline and paste it in a text editor, any Thought that is linked as a parent or child more than once will be marked with a hash tag. However, if you are creating this text outline from scratch, it will be up to you to mark Thoughts as duplicates.

Copying and pasting Thoughts from one Brain to another will give you a dialog to choose whether to copy/replace/skip. This relies on GUIDs. Text outlines do not contain GUIDs. Also, TheBrain will allow you to have multiple Thoughts with the same name. So if your text outline specifies a Thought name more than once, it will be added more than once.

Sean
Cerebrum
Hi Sean,

Let's say I want to import three movies and the three actors for each movie, and link the actors to each movie, but some actors are in more than one movie.
  • Movie1
    • Actor1
    • Actor2
    • Actor3
  • Movie2
    • Actor4
    • Actor5
    • Actor2
  • Movie3
    • Actor6
    • Actor2
    • Actor4
Actors 2 and 4 are in more than movie, and Actor 2 is in all three movies.

I'd like to import the data into TheBrain so that there will be no duplicate entries as a result of the import.
How do I structure the data to accomplish this?

Thanks.

shatcher
Cerebrum,

The way you have it is perfect, just add hash tags when the Actors are repeated. These posts are not perfectly formatted for the text outline so I attached a text file example.
  • Movie1
    • Actor1
    • Actor2
    • Actor3
  • Movie2
    • Actor4
    • Actor5
    • #Actor2
  • Movie3
    • Actor6
    • #Actor2
    • #Actor4
Cerebrum
Thanks. It worked.
I thought I had tried the same layout several times and it didn't work. 
Anyway, this opens some possibilities for importing data from other databases.
PaulaO
The text/coding program I was using for years, Notepad2, doesn't do the outlines right. I have no clue why. I downloaded/installed Notepad++ and it works.

If one does not import, check to make sure everything is where it should be. The importer is very picky!

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software