rjkantor

I have a brains folder structure with U01 and B01, B02, etc.

How can Import these into my current installation? 

Please advise.

Robb

mcaton
Rob,

Thanks for posting.  Typically Brain databases are recovered from a .BRZ (Brain Archive) or by downloading a previously synced Brain from TheBrain Cloud. However, we may be able to recover your Brain data from a Brains/U01 folder if this is all that is available to you, such as in the scenario of a recovered data from a hard drive failure.  I'll share a process that should recover data from your "Brains/U01 backup" but also let you know that we're willing to help you through this process in a web meeting.

First, please be sure you have a backup of your Brains folder you want to 'import' (don't attempt these steps with the one and only Brains folder you have). If you have just recently installed TheBrain, and have logged in, but not created any new Brains on this machine, you can simply run the application and click on Options > Preferences > System (on a Windows system) or TheBrain > Preferences > System tab (on macOS) and click on the Select Folder button under the Storage area.  This will allow you to specify a different Brains Folder where actual Brain Data exists (the Brains folder you plan on 'importing').  Follow the on screen instructions to complete the process. If you try pointing your storage location to a directory that contains anything other than valid Brain data, the transition cannot complete.

Additionally, these instructions are under the conditions that you have not yet created any Brain databases on your current machine.  If you have created Brains, you'll need to sync these Brains to TheBrain Cloud, or manually create a Brain Archive (.BRZ file) and then delete your local Brains for the Storage location to be moved to the new directory. After the storage location is moved and you've recovered data from the Brains/U01 directory that you have a copy of, you can import the .brz's or download any synced Brain.

I realize this may look like a lot of steps, but I'm happy to join you in a web meeting to review this process. We have several other options that we could explore to recover this data if necessary. Please send a note to support@thebrain.com and we'll schedule a meeting.

Thank you,
Matt
rjkantor
When I switch to the new folder, none of the brians that are in those folder appear in the UI.  Please advise.
mcaton
Rob,

Let's schedule a web meeting.  I think we can resolve this much faster if we can both see your screen at the same time.  Let us know what works best for your schedule at support@thebrain.com or call us directly at 310-751-5000.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software