pmasetti

Is it possible to import informations avaylable on excell into PB4  ?
I have same info about to convert to XML but I need more detailed info.
I have a big worksheet with my clientes adreess, phones, historical and I woul like tha each client were merged to my "CRM control brain" as Thoghts, the historical to the notes fields and so.
Many thanks for any help

Paulo Masetti - Brazil
PB Version
Paulo Masetti
agnor
Searching on the board will turn up a few discussions on the matter.

Your best bet might be to use the new "paste outline" ability in the latest beta.  See this thread for brief mention of it:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2721136

and the Beta release notes for an example:

http://www.thebrain.com/site/personalbrain/download/PB4.2%20Release%20Notes.pdf

pmasetti

Many Thanks Agnor but I need the oposite.
I need to copy and paste from the excel into the brain and not from the Brain to the excel.
Many thsnks.
Paulo Masetti
zenrain
You may want to review the release notes for 4.2.1.6 again, specifically under Paste Outline.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
agnor
pmasetti,

That's what "paste outline" does:  takes what you have in Excel and imports the structure into Personal Brain.

Read the document for details.
ski
I've read a series of posts that mention "paste Outline" Where is this function found? I've been looking through the menu's and can't find it

Thanks

pmasetti
This time I attached a "what I mean" file to help me explain what I need to do related to import data from Excel to PB4.
I hope it helps.
Any help will be welcame.
Many thanks

Paulo - Brazil
Paulo Masetti
mbaas
Hi Paulo,

are you thinking about a one-time transfer or about something you'd like to do repeatedly?

I assume Excel is not the original source of your data, but the database (Access/MySQL/MS-SQL/...)?

If you want to import notes too then "Paste outline" etc. is ruled out, because that copies only thought-names. The way to go would be to create XML for these records, copy it to the clipboard and then "Paste" into PB. (Select a few thoughts, copy via "Copy selected thoughts" and paste into txt-editor to get an idea of the XML-structure.)

If you are thinking about updating that data on a regular basis, you would need to also store the GUID assigned to those thoughts in your db, so that you can reference it again nxt time you do the transfer. But note that this would overwrite any changes you made to the notes in PB.

And as an alternative, you may want to have a look at the "corporate solution" BrainEKP which offers (among others) DB-Connectors for direct linking into your db.

HTH

Michael 

pmasetti
Dear Michael 
I think you are correct.
I realise PB is not projected for these level of conectivity with others
databases I want. I will consider some "corporate solution" like BrainEKP.
Many thenks.
Paulo Masetti - São PAulo BRAZIL
Paulo Masetti
bsnyder
I know this is an old topic but I'm still trying to figure this one out...

I've seen several references to being able to update/overwrite thought data via XML... the key seems to be capturing the GUID for the thought and using this same GUID when pasting or importing... but I'm having trouble with this working.  Here is what I've tried...

Right clicking a thought and pasting the XML to windows notepad...

Manually made a change to some text in the <body>...</body> portion of the XML code (attempting to make a simple change to the thought notes).  I did not make any changes to the GUID

Copied this modified code and pasted back to the plex (I tried under the parent thought and under the thought I had orginally copied)

I also tried to merge the code and I tried importing the code...

In every case it created new thoughts instead of updating the original thought...

It was my understanding that if the same GUID was used, that PB would update the orginal thought instead of creating a new thought.  I did not make any changes to the GUID.

Help me understand what I'm missing here!!

Thanks

tcarternyc

Realize that this is old post but anyone else looking into this might find that import feature works better than pasting (in this case). One would want to import the xml including the GUID back into the brain. 

Have a little fun each day.
RM820119
Hi All,
Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere in another forum or thread.

It seems obvious that a lot of information could be easier to view using PersonalBrain, not just info generated adhoc but also large data stores.

My question...
What does the GUID spec/format need to look like when creating "NEW" thoughts and such in XML/DTD?  I've used 'Paste Outline' successfully many times but would like to include other data sources (larger ones) as well.

I would appreciate any of your input or ideas. Thanks

RJ

RJ

PB 6.0.x.x - Windows 7
PB 6.0.x.x - Windows XP
zenrain
I believe you can leave the GUID blank and it will create one for you.
The information here is from a much older version (late 4.x or early 5.x), and the format has changed significantly since then, but it still contains some good pointers.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
RM820119

Maybe it's just me BUT... I haven't been able to "copy" thought types from one brain to another in PB 6. I've also been unsuccessful at creating them via an XML file. Attempts to create thought types in either manner will produce the first or last item ONLY.

RJ

PB 6.0.x.x - Windows 7
PB 6.0.x.x - Windows XP
br0nxl1ng
I am running PB (v6.0.6.4) under Windows XP/SP3. I just exported a simple brain (a parent thought and its "only child") to a brain.xml format. I then opened this file in Notepad, changed the name of the child, and saved the file. I then imported that same file back into PB using the Import Brain XML option. The resulting brain shows the child thought with the modification I made earlier. Again, this is a very simple example, and I'll have to play around with this test example to see if everything in the rest of the brain remains intact.

My interest is in using source data from Excel as input to Crystal Reports which would be used not as a report generator, but a source generator. In this case the source is xml code that looks just like an exported brain.

I sure would be nice to have a PB presentation layer capable of using SQL, but I'm not sure what my next step is for getting something like this to work. API's?
My Best,
Ken Meyerson

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software