g0liath76
I am editing this rant because upon reflection it was a little too ranty.

Rantensity notwithstanding I have a couple of concerns as I am testing my Brain.

1) I gather from elsewhere on this forum that v9 is in fact a Beta; should we then be expecting performance issues? Would it be irresponsible of us to trust our data to a beta?

2) Sync seems to be unreliable. I have entered thoughts into the web browser which have indeed synced to ios but have come across issues when forgetting thoughts in the browser. Those thoughts seem to remain in ios and also seem to hang around in the browser as some kind of ghost thought which is isolated from all other thoughts but which can be searched for and will not disappear not matter how often I click 'forget'. Then, after some time I will click on forget and the thought is gone. The Brain software looks great but the whole browser / ios / mac integration and sync is a huge selling point for the way I currently work.

3) If I were to forget a thought in error is there anyway to recover it?

Any comments or input most welcome.
zenrain
3. Yes.
From the Desktop version choose Options > Show Forgotten Thoughts and then search for it. Or Reports > choose Forgotton. 
Activate the thought. 
Right click and choose Remember Thought
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
The Browser version is in a much earlier beta than the Desktop version. I currently stick to the mobile or desktop and only use the browser to look. 
Personally, I'd wait a bit longer before using it (web version) to modify thoughts, but that's just me.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
g0liath76
Thanks for your response,

Having had the chance to spend an hour or two on the desktop version now this seems like sound advice; seeing how the desktop version handles forgotten thoughts it seems that the browser may still sometimes display thoughts which have been forgotten but not deleted.

So, I think the browser will be good for entering and, as you say, viewing thoughts but I will leave any modifications until I can access the desktop version.

This is beginning to look very promising - I am feeling quite excited to develop my Brain!

David
metta
@g0liath76 ~

I am one who has been extremely cautious about committing valuable data in TB9 since I've had significant performance issues (now resolved and caused primarily by my anti-virus program -- not TB9), including sync issues and lost data.

However, I've been very encouraged by the progress with TB9 development, and I am confident enough now to have begun the early stages of developing what will (eventually) be a public megabrain.
> Like ZenRain, I only use the web client to check and compare data (no editing there)
> I also backup my new version 9 brain religiously: every day I edit, I backup in the evening, just to make sure I don't lose any recently added content.

I confess I have not been confident enough (yet) to try importing my big, old megabrain, but one of these days (when I'm feeling brave) I'll give it a try.

In the meantime, it's great to see your excitement for using TB9, and I hope you'll be pleased with the results! :-)

Please keep us posted on your progress -- and, if your new brain is eventually going to be pubic, I would enjoy seeing what you create!
g0liath76
@metta

Thanks for you reply and your words of caution are well noted. It makes completes sense to backup after each edit. Having followed zenrain's advice and used the desktop to forget the test thought I wanted to forget it seems to have now synced perfectly (fingers crossed). So, I will proceed with entering thoughts on both desktop and browser and just use the desktop to administer and modify.

No plans as yet to go public but I shall see how it goes - I am certainly going down the road of just having one brain so who knows what will emerge!
metta
Sounds like a great plan, g0liath76! Thanks for sharing your update.

Since I've been building my megabrain for almost 5 years now, I can hardly imagine managing my digital life without TB.

🙂
metta
@g0liath76 ~

FYI, I'm continuing to have problems with notes in my desktop brains randomly not syncing with the web client. Unfortunately, this means that edits I've made in my notes locally are being overwritten by older versions of my notes located in the web client.

Wanted you to be aware of this issue, since my previous recommendation about making daily backups will not provide much (if any) protection on this issue, especially if you sync frequently, as I do.

Oh, almost forgot to mention: I'm also occasionally losing images from my notes when I sync, as well. 
g0liath76
@metta

Thanks for the update. I haven't experienced such issues though I am currently inputting most of my thoughts in the web client - I haven't found any sync issues with the desktop (Mac) version. 

I did encounter an issue yesterday after attaching a PDF to a thought in the web client. I later went to open the document on my iPad and ran into a 'handling error' which informed me that the file could not be downloaded. I was able to open it though on my Mac and on my iPhone.
metta
Thanks for the update, g0liath76.

Glad to hear the web client is working for you, and that you did not completely lose access to your PDF after running into the "handling error".

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software