IvanPsy
Hi all,
Do you have a public WebBrain?
How do you make it findable on the Web?

I see the Brain is the best solution to show the intricacies of a complex topic (Cyberbullying, Internet Addiction and others in my case).

The question is: how do people find my Brain on the Web?
Any strategy to suggest?

As far as I know there are many ways to make a web page found on the Web:
1) SEO
2) links on Social Media, guest posts, etc...

While point 2 is easy, many visitors still come to a webpage by searching on the search engines, the best solution due to the very short life of a post on social networks.

I know I can embed a Brain on a standard webpage, but this solution would increase the complexity and the job, for there would be huge job to set the Brain, then the extra job to adjust the SEO of the webpage.

Any thought about it?
I'm confused.
mcaton
Ivan,

Thanks for posting.  There are several different things you can do, but here are a few to get you started:

1. Set your Brain to Public.  When you sync your Brain, it is Private by default.  No one will EVER find your Brain if it's Private.  This, of course, is a safety measure so that you can securely post and sync a confidential Brain to multiple machines with one account.  Setting your Brain to Public means that no one will have to have a Brain account or log in to see your Brain.  More on account settings available at http://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials/sharing/sharing-your-brain
  2. Next, find your Brain's URL and start sharing! With TheBrain open in the web interface, right click in the background (behind the Thoughts) and select SHARE.  Here, you'll find an abbreviated URL that you can post, email, tweet and share!  For example, check out my Canoe Brain at https://webbrain.com/u/1047
  3. Embed your Brain on YOUR website.  Use the available IFRAME code (also in the Share window) to embed your Brain in your own website.  This is much like embedding a YouTube video.  Then you can add your own frames, keywords, metadata, etc. to help your page and your Brain get discovered.  I know you mentioned this option above, but it's really the best way to add additional content to be discovered by search engines. And you don't need to embed, you can always just link.  Here is an example of how Jerry linked his own Brain to several different buttons on one of his own web pages.  The links point right back to specific Thoughts in his WebBrain. http://www.jerrysbrain.com/
Hope these are some good starting points for you!

Thanks,
Matt
IvanPsy
Thank you Matt: lots of options here, and the examples are good! [smile]
I checked the links on mobile too (iOS), and the Brains render better as "native", not embedded.
Each node has a unique URL, it's good to share a node on social media when you add it.
You lose some passive traffic (no SEO).
The Jerry's Brain is interesting, though the links take you away from the website.
Yet it's the best solution.
I take note of it.
Thank you!
metta
Thanks for your great inquiry, Ivan -- and thank you, Matt, for your helpful feedback.

@IvanPsy: Here are 2 more links that might (?) shed a little additional light on your very important SEO question:
-- Search Engines and TheBrain (2009 Blog Post from TheBrain)
-- Wordpress Plugin for TheBrain (Scroll down to see Laura's post) <== FYI, this plugin may help prevent users from leaving the embedded brain in your web site

@mcaton: Can you elaborate a bit more about how much of the data in a public brain is actually accessible to the search engines?

Specifically, can Google access and "read" search terms located in:
-- thought names?
-- thought labels?
-- the text within notes?

This is an important consideration since TheBrain's share links are not SEO-friendly.

Thanks,
Metta
IvanPsy
Thank you for your reprise Metta.

I agree with you: while Harlan says that the Webbrain is "converted" to HTML to the eyes of Google, it's important to know how Google sees the Brain and each single content.
I think we need real feedback if we want to use our Brains for professional (commercial?) purposes, at the same level as we curate the SEO of our websites.

I think the staff of TheBrain should take it seriously: questions like these mean we are really seeing a great potential in TheBrain, that goes beyond the internal uses.
It may take this software to a higher level.

I work in the Psychology field, most of my issues (Cyberbullying, Hikikomori, Internet Addiction, and related) are multi-factorial and intertwined like the Web itself, so even a mind map is too simple.
A 3D mind map (like a Brain) is the best solution.

Anyway, I see embedding the Brain into a web page is the best thing to do right now:
- you share the actual link to your website, and people click on it and learn your domain
- while people navigate your Brain, they stay on your website, and Google likes it ;-)

Hope to read news from the Staff very soon.

Ivan
metta
Thank you, Ivan, for your insightful feedback.

I very much appreciate and share your interest in increasing the visibility of our public brains. I also agree with you and Matt that using an embedded brain is the best way to go right now.

Will also be looking forward to any additional feedback TheBrain staff will be willing to share.
mcaton
Metta,

Although the article is rather old, the information is still valid. Here's some detail on how WebBrain content is viewed by search engines:

https://blog.thebrain.com/search-engines-and-webbrain

No word yet on how v9's Cloud Brains will be handled since it's still in development.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Matt. I am familiar with the article you shared, and I'm glad to know the info is still valid.

I will also be keenly interested to learn more about the plan for SEO in the v9 web brain (cloud brain) as more information becomes available.

My sincere hope is the SEO in v9 would be an enhancement (and not a reduction) of the SEO functionality currently available in v8. (Fingers crossed)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software