quarkburger
I've read older articles that says to go to the report view of a brain you want to copy, select all, and go to the brain you want to add it to and paste (ctrl-v), but nothing pastes. 

Is there a different way to merge brains in TheBrain 9?

Thanks
Harlan
You can still use the copy/paste method if you want (you forgot to copy the thoughts in your above steps, that's why it didn't work) but the easier way is to use File > Backup to Brain Archive then open the other Brain and File > Import > Add to Current Brain and link > Brain Archive. I'd recommend that you backup the brain you are importing into prior to executing the import also since the import action cannot be undone.
Regards,
-Harlan
quarkburger
Thank you [smile]
RSNEAD
Harlan, will the procedure you outlined work for a partial transfer from one brain to the other?

Also, is there a way to merge two brains that have duplicate thoughts and attachments?  I have a brain that I created during one of the incidents where I was experiencing data loss while working with Brain support in an effort to isolate the cause.  It would be nice if I could merge the brains into a single brain.
Harlan
Yes, you can copy and paste a portion of a brain into another Brain.

If you have created duplicate thoughts in two separate brains, there is no way to automatically merge them together. You can import one into another but that will create duplicate thoughts. You can use Report > Duplicate Name to identify the duplicates when you are finished. From there it will be a manual process of deciding which version you want to keep.
Regards,
-Harlan
RSNEAD
OK, I guess I'm having a stupid attack.  I can copy and paste a thought with its attachments from one brain to the other; pretty straight forward.  I should have been more granular in my question.  when I try to make a copy, all I am getting is the selected thought and attachments.  What I want to copy is the selected + all dependent thoughts and attachments to move to a new brain.

I have started a tree in an existing brain related to a potential consulting opportunity.  At this point, the tree has maybe 15 thoughts probably no more than three levels deep.  Now that the opportunity is going to become a reality, I would like to copy the branch with all of its related thoughts and attachments to a new brain dedicated to this project.
Cerebrum
Click on the parent Thought that you want to copy and go to menu Edit, Select Related Thoughts.
You'll get this:

Capture.jpg 

After specifying what you want to select and clicking OK, you'll see the list of selected thoughts on the left side of your screen. You can then right-click on the list and "Copy [number] Thoughts" and then paste them into another brain. The hierarchy will be maintained.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software