stanhoffman
I've downloaded Jane's Brain and Travel Brain. Both unstuff corectly. When I open either with PB, there is but a single thought in each. What am I doing wrong? (I'm running PB on a Mac Pro).
tcahill
Don't un-stuff them. Just open the Brainzip file with PB.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Windchyme50
Can you explain whether this works on a Mac, and if so, how to open them? I have the same problem: downloaded them, can't see how to open. If I try to open from within PB, I find the Jane file, which doesn't in itself open (the "open" button doesn't go blue when I select that); if I go then to the file's contents, there are several things I can highlight that will open (see attached if it comes through) but none of them have a complete brain.

Thanks.

PS: it would be nice if one of the valid file uploads for this forum were tiff files--on Mac we can "grab" a picture of the problem and get a tiff, but that's not a "valid" format for uploading so it has to be converted to a pdf or whatever. Thanks.
zenrain
That's strange, the default format for screenshots for Tiger is .png

If you are running Tiger, you can type in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format

killall SystemUIServer

where image_format is one of jpg, tiff, pdf, png,
bmp or pict.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
stanhoffman
On the Mac, you first have to specify what application will open the brain file. Select it in the Finder, press Cmd-I, under "Open with:" drag down to Other.., select PB, and close the info window. You should now be able to open it from within PB.
mira4bai4
Tried this but cannot get passed a bunch on files that PB has no interest in.

To be correct, I unzipped and found the files shown in the screen shot of a previous post but none of these open by selecting open with PB. I also tried just for the experience selecting the zipped file to open with PB and PB opened but Janes July brain would not.
mcaton
From the looks of the screenshot, items in the _brain folder didn't stay in the right place.  Try moving the all of the other items (except the .brain file) into the _brain folder.  So in the end, you'll just have these 2 items in the same directory:
Jane_July_17_2007.brain (file)
Jane_July_17_2007_brain (folder)

See if the .brain file can be opened now in PB.

Thanks,
Matt
Neocortex
tcahill wrote: Don't un-stuff them. Just open the Brainzip file with PB.

I tried that. Brain opens, but the Brain-zip does not.. Has anyone had any luck ? found a workaround?

thanks,
Neo
stanhoffman
stanhoffman wrote: On the Mac, you first have to specify what application will open the brain file. Select it in the Finder, press Cmd-I, under "Open with:" drag down to Other.., select PB, and close the info window. You should now be able to open it from within PB.

Once I did this, I had no trouble opening either Jane's Brain or Travel Brain.
Neocortex
stanhoffman wrote: stanhoffman wrote: On the Mac, you first have to specify what application will open the brain file. Select it in the Finder, press Cmd-I, under "Open with:" drag down to Other.., select PB, and close the info window. You should now be able to open it from within PB.

Once I did this, I had no trouble opening either Jane's Brain or Travel Brain.

hmmm, I am very familiar with "open with"...
I used 'open with" on both the downloaded Brain-Zip file directly and also the "jane_July_17_2007.brain" inside the upzipped folder. Both times, 4.1.0.8 merely opens whatever previous (local) Brain doc I had opened last time I opened the Brain app... no sign of Jane's brain. Does anyone else (still) have this problem?

thanks!
Neo
Harlan
neo, from the file menu of pb, select open and then choose the brainzip. pb will ask where to extract the brain to. Select a location and it will extract and open.
Regards,
-Harlan
Neocortex
Harlan wrote: neo, from the file menu of pb, select open and then choose the brainzip. pb will ask where to extract the brain to. Select a location and it will extract and open.

Glad you mentioned this method . I have tried this method as well ( 4.1.0.07 thru today's .9) and i've received the following error:

<<<< TheBrain/Users/X/Desktop/jane_17_2007.brain.zip.brain does not exist or has been moved. >>>>

I tried (re-)downloading the brain-zip numerous times... to no avail.

thank you for getting back to me.

best,
Neo
Harlan
at what point do you get that message? The filename looks incorrect - it should be filename.brainzip

Can you post a screenshot of the error?
Regards,
-Harlan
Neocortex
Harlan wrote: at what point do you get that message? The filename looks incorrect - it should be filename.brainzip

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Yes.

Thank you. Click image for larger version - Name: Screenshot_Brain-zip_error.png, Views: 1686, Size: 19.67 KB
mira4bai4
This reminds me of numerous times when Safari did not download files properly or at least they cannot be opened. Downloading via Firefox used to provide a good working file to open and enjoy.

I have not tried this here as it has just come to mind so maybe.........

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software