hughdrbf
PB 5.0.2.3 and saving expanded views is phenomenal...what a time saver and capability enrichment. So now...

I've laid-out a Brain in expanded view and saved the view. Maybe 20% of the plex is visible at any time within my PC's screen area. And, of course, that's all that prints.

What I want to be able to do is print the entire Brain of Thoughts as I've laid it out and saved it. My target output device is a 42" wide color HP wide-format printer (some call 'em plotters).

I've searched the User and Transition Guides and PB forms for tips on how to do this, but have come up with nothing more than WYSOIWYGWYP (what you see onscreen is what you get when you print).

Has anyone an idea or work-around to accomplish full Brain plex printing? Or, have I missed a golden egg somewhere in PBPro 5?

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Hugh

jostber
Maybe you can select print to file in the dialog and choose another application for printing it?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
hughdrbf
Thanks jostber, that's a great idea.

I printed to Adobe PDF but all that went was exactly what is being displayed in the visible screen area - same as printing to a printer device.
Darkstar
I don't think you've missed anything. PB's printing is currently very primitive. I don't know why, as it would be trivial to print all thoughts in a full plex view - all the thoughts that are displayed in an expanded or other view mode which I'll just call the "document space" - rather then just what is visible in the plex on-screen. The code knows what thoughts are currently displayed in the document space, so all it needs to do is dump the document space to the designated printer (or print preview). By looking before it does the dump to see how much of the document space maps onto a printer page, it can figure out how much postering, and what dimensions, will be needed to, and be able to do so automatically. It's really a fairly trivial bit of coding to do (I've done it multiple times in my professional career), so I don't understand why TheBrain's development team haven't done it in Personal Brain--- unless there's some cross platform issues or it has simply slipped down the list of "To Be Done" while higher priority issues and features are worked on.

So I hope that sometime in the future, PB picks this functionality up. I know it isn't there in PB 5.0.2.3 Pro. Just blowing up the effective on-screen plex printing by postering it (although I've yet to get that to actually WORK--- it always fails on multi-page poster printing on my work machine and its environment).

Humm... What I'd suggest that you do multiple screen caps of your super-plex, and stitch those screen caps together using a free automated picture stitcher (such as the free Microsoft Picture Gallery tool for Vista). Then you could dump THAT stitched picture to your plotter.
-Darkstar
hughdrbf
Thanks Darkstar, well said and much appreciated. This has to be a fairly common and widespread thing users wanna be able to do.

Yeah, I did consider for a moment stitching together segmented screen scrapes and printing that, but then...ugh! I...just...wanna...screa...so instead I shoved a pencil in my eye  and feel much better again.

Darkstar
Well, you could always set your PB to be floating, maximize your plex window, hide all the tools, and shrink the displayed font size to the smallest allowed. Set multi-page printing (ok, you might not need this, seeing as you have that sweet plotter) to poster the printout and then--- print. Then move the view to mostly fresh, non-printed area (leaving some overlap), and print--- and continue to move around to get all the plex printed so you can put the whole thing together. Which is why I think at this time, just doing a bunch of screencaps, and letting an auto-stitch program take its best shot at putting them together would probably be the best option for your needs.

That's all I can think of--- but let's hope there's a better/easier answer for you, and someone can post it soon.
-Darkstar
zenrain
Quote:
maximize your plex window, hide all the tools, and shrink the displayed font size to the smallest allowed

Presentation mode (View > Presentation Mode or Alt + V, M) may give you an extra 1 1/2 inches.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Tracy
Hi All,
The best available way to proceed is to maximize the plex, scale down the thought size, and fit as much on-screen as you can. An automatic "scale to fit page" function is on the feature request list.
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
Darkstar

How is "scale to fit page" going to work with "mutli-page printing" available in the Pro? I find it odd that this functionality wasn't already included in Pro, as it makes this feature worthless--- so it shouldn't even be MENTIONED on the "marketting" as a feature you get when you pay for that version.

-Darkstar
asexymind
was there ever a solution to this?
--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
jostber
Maybe in the new forthcoming version v.5.5?

Darkstar

We are currently hoping it is in the forth-coming version 5.5, as there hasn't been any official listing of all the new or improved features in it. Although there's been a bunch of "its in version 5.1" scattered about the forums, like the "no more missed created links while in expanded mode" fix.

-Darkstar
jostber
I'm not near a printer here for some hours. Anyone tested the updated print function in the new v.5.5?

zenrain
Yes, printing has improved immensely in 5.5.

It now bases the printout on the layout of the thoughts, not the edges of the plex, so it adjusts the thought scaling based on the thoughts, and page size.
It also includes thoughts not visible in the plex. For example, you have an expanded view and some thoughts are off screen. Those thoughts are now printed.
I've only tested this single sheet so far, not on the multiple poster pages, but as far as I can tell, printing the plex has changed from being a novelty, to a very useful tool.

The Page setup and multi page poster printing does have quite a delay between the Page Setup window and the Print Settings window (where you configure the maximum pages to use and the print using white background checkbox), but it's a small price to pay.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
zenrain wrote:
Yes, printing has improved immensely in 5.5.

It now bases the printout on the layout of the thoughts, not the edges of the plex, so it adjusts the thought scaling based on the thoughts, and page size.
It also includes thoughts not visible in the plex. For example, you have an expanded view and some thoughts are off screen. Those thoughts are now printed.
I've only tested this single sheet so far, not on the multiple poster pages, but as far as I can tell, printing the plex has changed from being a novelty, to a very useful tool.

The Page setup and multi page poster printing does have quite a delay between the Page Setup window and the Print Settings window (where you configure the maximum pages to use and the print using white background checkbox), but it's a small price to pay.

The improved print functionality is great news, thanks!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software