dlorde
TB v.10.0.29

I decided to start using the timeline feature to keep track of my Google Calendar entries, so opened the timeline, clicked on the hamburger menu, and highlighted my main Google calendar account. There was no indication that anything was happening, so I closed the dialog box. 

That was hours ago, and the timeline remains empty - I did a manual sync from the main toolbar, but no change. 

I've tried changing to one of the other accounts listed, and get a message telling me that it will now sync to this account, but still nothing appears in the timeline.

I tried adding an entry to the timeline, did a manual sync, and found it was added to the Google Calendar, so sync to Google is working, but that remains the only item on the timeline...

How is one supposed to download the calendar entries onto the timeline?
mcaton
Dav,

Thanks for posting. If you connected your Brain to an account with existing content in the Google Calendar, then yes, the next time you make an edit in your Brain (do edit some content, like a thought name or a note) and click on Sync, the Google Calendar should sync with your Brain Timeline.  Here's a video on how this process works in case we've missed a small detail:

https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials#Timeline-and-Events

Thanks,
Matt
dlorde
Thanks, Matt - I have followed the steps shown in the video, but after extensive experimentation, I find that I only get one-way sync from TB 10 to Google Calendar, there's no sync the other way. So if I add an event to the TB timeline, it appears in Google Calendar, and if I edit or delete it from the TB 10 timeline, it is edited or deleted from Google Calendar.

But if add an event to the TB timeline, sync it to Google Calendar, then edit or delete the event in Google Calendar, those changes are not reflected in the TB timeline after the next sync. At the next sync, the Google Calendar changes are replaced with the existing TB timeline version.

If I add an event to the Google Calendar, it does not appear in the TB timeline; the only events on the TB timeline are events added via TB.

The video says the timeline sync is two-way, and that all my Google Calendar events should appear in the TB timeline. The reality for me is that the sync is one-way only, from TB to Google Calendar.

[Also, every now and then, the connection to the Google account is lost, which means I unexpectedly lose even the one-way sync from TB to Google Calendar, and have to set the Google Calendar account in TB again].
mcaton
Dav,

Yes, the sync should be two way with Google Cal events showing up in the Brain Timeline.  Can you please send us a copy of your output.log file after a sync for review? It can be found by clicking on Help > Open Log Directory.

Thank you,
Matt
dlorde
OK, will do.
dlorde
Whenever I update TheBrain or reload it after shutdown or restart, I check to see if the timeline sync to Google Calendar is fixed, and always find that the calendar link has been lost - I have to go into 'Manage External Accounts', enable it, and select the calendar I want to sync with.

It still doesn't sync properly, but I would expect it to keep the link to Google Calendar until I decide to change or disconnect it.
mcaton
Dav,

Thanks for the update.  I'll document test and this as well.

Matt
mcaton
I'm unable to replicate.  Are you just restarting the app and then your gmail account is no longer selected in the Calendar Settings list??

Thank you,
Matt
dlorde
mcaton wrote:
I'm unable to replicate.  Are you just restarting the app and then your gmail account is no longer selected in the Calendar Settings list??
Yes, that's right - after restarting, I often - but not always - have to go through the whole calendar setup procedure from scratch. 

Playing around with this timeline issue, I've discovered that a brain I originally imported from TB v.8 does show the Google Calendar events in its timeline, so I can have two tabs open, one with an imported brain that is correctly synced with Google Calendar, and one with a brain (created in TB v.9) that doesn't sync with the same calendar.

Further to this, I just created a new brain for testing, and it too fails to sync its timeline with Google Calendar. So, at present, only the brain imported from TB v.8 correctly syncs with Google Calendar.

I'm tempted to archive the brain that syncs correctly, delete its contents, and copy the contents of the brain I want to work with into the empty shell...
CaptainJustice
dlorde wrote:
Thanks, Matt - I have followed the steps shown in the video, but after extensive experimentation, I find that I only get one-way sync from TB 10 to Google Calendar, there's no sync the other way. So if I add an event to the TB timeline, it appears in Google Calendar, and if I edit or delete it from the TB 10 timeline, it is edited or deleted from Google Calendar.

But if add an event to the TB timeline, sync it to Google Calendar, then edit or delete the event in Google Calendar, those changes are not reflected in the TB timeline after the next sync. At the next sync, the Google Calendar changes are replaced with the existing TB timeline version.

If I add an event to the Google Calendar, it does not appear in the TB timeline; the only events on the TB timeline are events added via TB.

The video says the timeline sync is two-way, and that all my Google Calendar events should appear in the TB timeline. The reality for me is that the sync is one-way only, from TB to Google Calendar.

[Also, every now and then, the connection to the Google account is lost, which means I unexpectedly lose even the one-way sync from TB to Google Calendar, and have to set the Google Calendar account in TB again].

I just posted having the identical issue. Had not seen this. See  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/google-calendar-sync-only-one-way-10050741?pid=1307750671
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software