pshanks
Has anybody figure how to turn off (non-display) Thought Types within the plex.

TheBrain (Beta 10.0.25.0) 9.1.16.0, iOS V9.1.2, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1803), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.5
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

metta
If turning OFF the display of thought types in the plex is NOT yet an option, please add this as a preference setting for the user.

For my purposes, this new display only adds unnecessary and distracting clutter in the plex. It also duplicates information that is already available in my custom thought type settings (icon, color, etc.)

Also, if there are plans to eventually add the thought type display into the web client, please allow the brain owner to turn OFF this display as well, in order to avoid unnecessary confusion for our shared brain visitors.
vmilhoan
+1

My organic brain is having difficulty as it does add a bit more clutter but I also end up thinking "hmm, I wonder why I would have linked this Documents thought as a child to another Documents thought? Oh wait - nope, that's the type". 
ruudhein
+1

Also: should have theme preferences to change how types look in the plex. 
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.23.0
zenrain
I would like the ability do to this also, but I actually really appreciate this new feature. Especially with the ways they are displayed so I can easily tell the difference. 

Very good movement towards more functionality and flexibility for Tags and Types. Also, I love that I can now click a tag icon on a thought and have it show that tag.

Very good stuff.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
ruudhein
zenrain wrote:
Especially with the ways they are displayed so I can easily tell the difference. 

Types display the same way thoughts do, in my case. How do they look different for you?

1.jpg 
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.23.0
zenrain
Types have very rounded edges so look like pills. Thoughts have slightly rounded edges, so don't.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
stevelad
Agree with comments above.
Showing thought type in the plex only adds unnecessary and distracting clutter. It also duplicates information that is already available in my custom thought type settings.
metta
After giving this a bit more thought, I'd like to modify my original feature request above....

Although I would like a preference setting that would allow me to turn OFF the default display of thought types throughout the entire plex, I can see some value in being able to display thought types selectively in the plex.

Would this be a feasible enhancement to this new feature?
Cerebrum
metta, I agree. 
I think that "Visible Types" can make it simpler and easier to navigate the Plex but sometimes they can interfere.

Seems to me that there should be a setting for each Type: Visible in Plex, Yes/No, along with the ability to set the default for new Types.

Something that perhaps is not obvious: Thoughts, Types and Tags are all basically the same "kind of thing" and the software handles each one differently depending on an internal value in the database.  TB9 and TB10 use the same database so the difference between the two versions (as far as displaying Types and having clickable Tags) is not the data but in the way that the software handles Types and Tags. 

There's a good description available when using the "Convert Thought Kind" function:

Capture.jpg 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Capture2.jpg 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Capture3.jpg 
Isilion
I understand the value of the feature, so I'd like it to stay, but I would like to be able to turn it off, because in my case it adds clutter. 

Also, 

zenrain wrote:
Types have very rounded edges so look like pills. Thoughts have slightly rounded edges, so don't.

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks zenrain 🙂

I'd say that that differentiation is useful, but I think that they look too similar. I believe it would be helpful if they looked different. I know that from a system perspective they are the same kind of entity - a thought - but from an user's perspective they are different, so I believe it would be helpful if they differed visually too. 
metta
Thank you, Cerebrum, for the additional shared highlights.

I also agree with you, Isilion, that a more distinctive shape for the thought type would be helpful....

Perhaps using a rectangular format with horizontal points on each vertical end would provide sufficient contrast with normal thoughts and tags?

For example: < Thought Type >
metta
+1 for the option to set the default for new types
mcaton
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I'll make sure this option is documented.

... to late, already documented and in active development.  These engineers are fast!

Matt
metta
Thanks, Matt! I look forward to seeing this option implemented in a future update

It will be a big help in reducing extraneous clutter in the plex.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software