MartinGregory

Has anyone come up with a good way to do to-do list management in TheBrain?

It seems silly to have "another place" where I enter "things that I think of" depending on whether they are to-do list items or "other thoughts".

But I can't see how to tidly manage an ordered list in TheBrain

Thanks!

Brigitte
You can create Thoughts for each task then create a calendar event for each Thought and fill in your task details in the description field for the calendar event. You can also use the checkbox feature in the Notes section (in notes you can insert a checkbox by selecting Insert > Insert Checkbox) to insert your task with a checkbox next to it so that you can check off your task when you have completed it. Also, you can use the Tags feature to mark certain tasks completed by creating a "completed" Tag. You can track with a series of Tags or Thought Types, example, complete a project - change the thought type from "in progress" to "completed".
vmilhoan
I've been trying to follow the GTD methodology using task lists and project designators.

• Each project gets its own Thought and has a Thought Type of "Project", with the Thought Icon being a hammer
  • Each project that is urgent/high importance has its Type changed to "Project - Top" with the Thought Icon being a hammer, but it is red
  • All tasks are put in the project's note field with a checkbox next to it. It was too time consuming to create a thought for each task
    • This allows me to see my list of tasks for a project and change the text as needed (for example, if I need to do task A, and then I sent an email to someone and I"m waiting for a response, I'll put a "(w - name)" next to it to show I'm waiting for that person.
    • Once the task is complete, I will check the checkbox
    • I can rearrange the tasks as needed and get a quick overview of what has been done
  • All files, docs, other Thoughts for that project are Children of that project Thought

When I need to get a full list of my projects, I use the reporting area and choose "Project" or "Project - Top". This is essentially creating the task lists that are referenced in GTD.
metta
@vmilhoan ~

How do you quickly and easily scan across multiple project thoughts to find those individual to-do items that are the most urgent?

That has always been my challenge with trying to use TB for task management: I haven't found any good way to filter and view a variety of priority items that are spread across a variety of different project thoughts.

I could try sorting them by priority tags, but that can quickly become a tag nightmare since one project thought could have a variety of different priority tasks detailed in the notes.

Even if I highlight the high priority items by color, they still are all buried in my sea of project thoughts.

Any suggestions? Hints & tips?
vmilhoan
I would love to hear everyone's hints/tips for this too [smile]

I find it's somewhat hard to stay all digital at work (I may need to present my screen and take notes at the same time), so I started experimenting with adding a paper layer to my process. I have been putting together a daily list of 3 top projects to focus on for the day, along with a few lines of tasks that creep up. It's not perfect, and my main project list is still to look at the project Type in TB.

I have also started making some use of events on the timeline to mark the "next" task for a project that has to be done on a certain day if applicable. So, still playing around with some various options.
ruudhein
See my thoughts here on the forum in regard to using TB as a task manager. I find it better for higher level thinking (20,000 feet and up) then for runway and 10,000 feet task management.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.1.8.0
metta
For those who might be interested, here's a sample brain Andreas recently shared which illustrates his Kanban-style of task management within TB9:
> Kanban Brain | Andreas

L
ooks like a simple and streamlined strategy with good potential! ðŸ™‚
andreas
Thanks for uploading, Metta!

As you will see, the system I am using is a collage of different existing systems. I wanted to make sure to only use one single program for everything. Plus the system has to be simply and straighforward, it has to work in stress situations.

As many here in the forums I have tried about any existing ToDo list app that exists. Most are just too much work for me, or better said, I spend my hours "playing" around, putting the tasks under the right categories etc. and this leaves no time for the actual work...
The current system has been used for a couple years and has resisted my testing of new versions of more shiny dedicated ToDo apps.

Here is a zip of the actual brain. Happy to hear from you how to improve the system. 

az
metta
Thanks again, Andreas! Appreciate your generosity in sharing very much. Ã°Å¸â„¢â€š

To be honest, I've already starting playing with your model and, on a preliminary basis, I have added a few tweaks of my own. The challenge for me now is that just before you shared your system, I began a free trial of yet one more PIM (doogiePIM) and I feel like I need to give a it a good test run before the free trial expires. So far I really like what I've seen of this app, but I know there's a high potential (for me) for getting lost in "organizing" instead of "executing", which is why your simple system appeals so much to me.

Also, like you, I really would prefer to rely on "one trusted system" -- and I like the fact that your strategy helps to keep your focus on just a few tasks per day.

I'm also impressed that your current system has survived the test of time. Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°

Two years is a good test run, indeed -- and, in this context, I have a few more questions about how you've been using your system:
  • Do you ever use the MindMap view when working with and editing your notes? I really like the fact that multiple notes can be edited in the MindMap view without changing the active thought, I wondered if this functionality has been useful to you.
  • Do you use the events/timeline functions in TB9? If so do you have any hints/tips for getting the most from these features?
  • Have you found the limitations on reminders in TB9 to be a problem? (can't set them more than 28 day in advance, can't snooze for more than 1 day)
  • Are there any other important tags you use on a regular basis that you have not already mentioned?
andreas
  • New software, especially new todo apps are blinking and shiny and I like them. I start using them for a couple of days and then I realize that I forget to open them, I stop looking at them and this means they become useless... Plus, most software works for <20 tasks only :-) I used other software for information management but nothing beats the brain if you go beyond a couple thousand thoughts...
  • I tried using the MindMap view, yes. I stopped using it but should maybe give it another try...
  • I do use the timeline and have set-up a calendar that I sync with my iCal. All work related stuff is now in there. I have the timeline view on in the tab showing the work week. And this tab is always on the "week" thought. I open other tabs for accessing other parts of the brain.
  • Today I got an email. This triggered me to add a new project in the 10'000 Ft view. I number the projects and this was project 213... (tells you how long I am using the system). Under the project thought I added the email, a todo (ready) thought and I added a deadline in the timeline. I am a visual thinker and love that I see visually how much time is left before the deadline is up.
  • I do not use reminders in the Brain. The length of the task in the timeline is more useful for me.
  • Other important thought types I use are "read" showing me in a different color the papers I have read. I basically work with types of different color. Light green means it is a general topic with many sub-topics. And of course a couple of work related thought types. Thought tags are less used in my brain, I have the 1-5 stars tags for quality assessment but apart from that one I find many that I tried out but never used again...
  • BTW, if I do not move an email into the brain, I tend to forget it because the inbox is simply a long list. As I am using the Brain for all actionable emails, I do not have any structure in my email folder...

metta
Thank you, Andreas. Your feedback has again been very helpful. I've incorporated it all, along with your sample zip, in my new task management brain where I'll be giving your Kanban strategy a test tun.

Very much appreciate your generosity in shedding a little light on how you've been successfully using TB for task management since your approach appears to be quite simple and effective.

Thanks again! ðŸ™‚

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software