mctrexler
Getting past that every individual brain has a name specific to it, as in the case of the Climate Web, I'm trying to figure out the best thing to call "brains" as a whole. Are they:

"virtual brains"
"second brains"
"digital brains"
"supplemental brains"

or something else I haven't thought of?  Please chime in!!

Mark
Brigitte
They are your "Digital Brains", but anything works. 

Best,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
mcaton
I refer to them as my Brain Databases...

Matt
mctrexler
I'm trying to think about it from a marketing perspective. What's the term that triggers the right curiosity response in someone who has never heard of digital brains before.  What is the problem that digital brains solve for them?  It might be that "your expanded brain" might do that better than "your digital brain," because it's a lot clearer what problem we're solving. Has TheBrain ever done market research on the SEO terms to use to get the best response to TheBrain?  

Mark
metta
At this point, I simply refer to brain projects, for lack of a better, more intriguing term. (Don't like using the term "brains" for all the strange connotations this term evokes.)

IMHO, "digital brain" is more appealing and intriguing than "expanded brain" (which initially seems, to me, like something undesirable, at least biologically speaking). ;-)

One alternative example I've come across (for an Evernote productivity training program) refers to:
Building a Second Brain

Unfortunately, from an SEO and marketing standpoint, "TheBrain" (as a brand) produces relatively poor results. As you'll see with a quick search, "TheBrain" is almost indistinguishable from "the brain". This means that finding additional information about TheBrain (articles, reviews, etc.) usually requires a search on "TheBrain Technologies" or even "Personal Brain" (the earlier/older brand).

Separate searches on each the following 3 phrases will demonstrate the SEO differences:
> TheBrain
> "TheBrain Technologies"
> "Personal Brain"

FWIW, I have been exploring this question myself (also for the purpose of marketing), and I think there are a variety of different options one could consider depending on the nature of the brain project:
> Gerard has already used the term "compendium"
> In other cases, "discovery engine" could describe what a large brain might provide
> Other brains might fit the description of a digital "commonplace book"
> Still others might fit a more conventional description:
-- Curated Collection
-- Research Archive
-- Training Program
-- Knowledge Base

In the end, the language we use is ultimately going to depend upon the intended purpose, focus and end use of the brain project itself.
mctrexler
Thanks for pointing me to the Second Brain course.  How cool!  Have you taken the course?   Has anyone who sees this?   I think SecondBrain might be a great way to characterize topical Brains.  

Mark
metta
I have not yet taken the course, but I will be attending a webinar next week presented by the SecondBrain trainer and another Evernote expert that might be of interest:
> Digital Empowerment with Evernote
ruudhein
My "external brain". Some people get it right away when I describe it as a memex 🙂
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | TheBrain v10.0.6.0
metta
Great description, Rudd! Thanks for sharing. ðŸ™‚
mctrexler
Rudd, I had never encountered the term "memex" before, so thanks for that!  "External brain" is nice and simple!  

Mark
ruudhein
🙂

Just in case someone might think I came up with Memex:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memex ← that guy was a visionary
PaulaO
"MindMapping on really good drugs with data organization tossed in for gits and shiggles."
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
ruudhein
<looks around> OK, where's the Like button or similar? Gotta give Paula props 😃
GaryW
I have been referring my TB as my "thinking framework". Just a way to map my thoughts like my actual brain does. I refer to Evernote as my "info database" which I link with TB using URLs.

EN is based on how a computer stores and retrieves data. That was the metaphor used to design knowledge management systems. Searching in EN while doable is not easy nor fun. We now know why - a computer is the wrong metaphor. From cognitive science research we now understand the brain is designed to recognize patterns. This is why TB's ability to make a zillion connections plus raise certain thoughts in the foreground works so well.
We see the world not as it is but as we are.
mctrexler
Gary, an interesting point. Have you played with Plectica.com?  It's interesting because the developers of Plectica really go after mindmaps as being totally counter to how our brains actually function. They're going to walk me through Plectica tomorrow with respect to my Climate Web Brain, so I'll have a better idea of how it's actually different.  But it's interesting to ask which software deserves the award for: Best Emulating How Our Brains Actually Think!  

Mark

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software