ruudhein
Are all attachments downloaded? All thoughts? How does the setup work? If I would have a 15 GB brain, would I need a phone with at least 15 GB free storage space?
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.1.6.0
Thalamus
I'm with you ruudhein! I spent an hour drilling through every folder that looked remotely close to having Brain data and couldn't find anything! I access a good-sized brain on Galaxy Note 4 and it appears to function correctly with attachments accessible. I just can't figure out if the the files on on the device or if it's drawing from the cloud. I assume the device as I could see download progress when I first accessed this brain. But WHERE are they??
T
zenrain
I believe it now works the same as iOS. Which means when TheBrain downloads your database, the structure, thoughts and notes are downloaded, but attachments remain in the cloud, and are downloaded on demand (when you open one). 

This means that the size stays reasonable on mobile devices, but unfortunately also requires forethought if you are going to need access to an attachment and not have a data connection.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
shatcher
Thalamus,

As zenrain explained, TheBrain downloads all Thoughts and notes, but attachments are only downloaded on demand. This does require you to download any attachments you want to work on before going completely offline.

Cheers, Sean
ruudhein
Is there any way to know the size of such a brain, possibly before syncing even?
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.1.6.0
shatcher
Ruud,

At the bottom of the statistics window is the total size of internal files. This doesn't take into account the databases or other Brain files, but will give you a good estimate of the size of your Brain.

Cheers, Sean
Thalamus
Sean & All,
Thanks for the clarification. I have noticed that a download of an attached internal file only happens when you initiate it. I think that's a good feature, so you can select which files to have locally on the device. I also think this is a practical security feature, so that you don't have to worry about sensitive files being automatically placed on a mobile device.
Unless I have some obscure setting wrong on Windows 10 'File Explorer' you cannot 'see' any TB files on my Android phone (either phone itself or SD card). Nor can you find any TB data folders or attached files. I guess this is good as there is no way you can muck up the database structure. I also was not able to find an attached test file using the Droid file search, again maybe that's a good thing. I did however find the folder structure using another 'file manager' app (using search only). But what I found was buried so deep there is no way it would be practical to try to find data or files, this is probably good. If it's not readily seen no one would know it's there. So unless developers eventually include some kind of Android / iOS internal statistical report so you can see how big a brain on the device actually is, I guess if we run out of room, we'll just have to buy a bigger SD card. FYI, I did find out the structure appears to be placed on the SD card, so Kudoos for that!
I was concerned about a brain containing sensitive data being accessible on a mobile device without being encrypted, but with a database so obscure, there's probably not much to worry about. maybe an option to either have a local password or the users online password would provide sufficient security. Thoughts???
zenrain
+ 1 for the option to password secure TheBrain on both Android and iOS.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software