punkmonksf
I'm using PB 4 to create a hypertext work of fiction online. Everything from character lists to timelines, appendices and chapter menus are being created in PB with the idea that the book can be read in any order the reader wishes to discover the story.

I'm finding that PB is particularly well suited to character development and tracking links in the narrative thread to other characters and other periods of time.

twospoons

I'm really interested to see how this turns out for you.  Please keep us updated on your progress.  Any links to some samples?

Wes
yuryg
This sounds really interesting, can give us a very small example?
RLPopeIII
punkmonksf wrote:
I'm using PB 4 to create a hypertext work of fiction online. Everything from character lists to timelines, appendices and chapter menus are being created in PB with the idea that the book can be read in any order the reader wishes to discover the story.

I'm finding that PB is particularly well suited to character development and tracking links in the narrative thread to other characters and other periods of time.

Very Interesting!  I am using the Brain as well  for a set of novels.  Actually the novels are paper and the brain is an online companion knowledge Base of Characters, places and concepts.

I also use the brain for character and concept development as well as it does a great job of keeping continuity.

Cheers,
Ren Pope
ChrisCase
"To me, a barbarous Englishman, has been entrusted the revelation of this diaphanous mystery. After more than a hundred years, the details are irretrievable; but it is not hard to conjecture what happened. Ts’ui Pe must have said once: I am withdrawing to write a book. And another time: I am withdrawing to construct a labyrinth. Every one imagined two works; to no one did it occur that the book and the maze were one and the same thing. The Pavilion of the Limpid Solitude stood in the center of a garden that was perhaps intricate; that circumstance could have suggested to the heirs a physical labyrinth. Ts’ui Pên died; no one in the vast territories that were his came upon the labyrinth; the confusion of the novel suggested to me that it was the maze. Two circumstances gave me the correct solution of the problem. One: the curious legend that Ts’ui Pên had planned to create a labyrinth which would be strictly infinite. The other: a fragment of a letter I discovered.....”

Read more of Borges' "The Garden of Forking Paths":
http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/borges-garden.html
punkmonksf
<grin> LOVE LOVE LOVE Borges! Actually, PB is just such a labyrinth and I am having the time of my life constructing it. Will surely post samples when I'm ready.

Karekin

ChrisCase
The only disadvantage to a PB-created hypertext novel is the matter of How Would You Sell It?

Needless to say, no True Artist would care at all about that,,,,(cough,cough)....

RLPopeIII
ChrisCase wrote:
The only disadvantage to a PB-created hypertext novel is the matter of How Would You Sell It?

Needless to say, no True Artist would care at all about that,,,,(cough,cough)....

For me, the Novel is traditional paper with and online companion.  I would covert to SiteBrain or use BrainSDK to create content and there would be a subscription fee for certain features on the site.

This is of course if I what I've have is good enough to get someone to publish me, and enough interest for people to follow up online. 
Ren Pope
punkmonksf
take a look at Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic to see how a hypertext novel in print format works.

ChrisCase
ANother interesting link is http://www.stc.org/confproceed/1994/PDFs/PG128130.PDF

a PDF file about publishing hypertext books in Windows hypertext Help.  Much of what it says could be applied to a book published as a Sitebrain....

yuryg
If you want to sell your novels there are ways of doing so.  There are e-book products that convert from html to e-Book form.

There are a few products that do that, although I do not know if the java will stay within it or even if you wanted it to stay.

All the products that you have that can do that are Digital Rights Media (DRM), in my past job I reviewed quite a few of the DRM solutions out there for security and the ability to steal books.

Now while DRM is one way to go, you can also go another way and release the book in to public domain as shareware.  The choice is yours, if you want I can tell you some of the solutions for this, although truthfully I have not touched the DRM solutions in about 2 years.  Although the marketplace did not change much there, it has been pretty stagnant.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software