Harlan Show full post »
Rennie
OK

That adds a whole load of children....not attachments ? I think ? well it does for me..with one attachment each ?

Can you have a Child say (Company Name) with multiple attachments....?

And can I search for a company name in my address book and attach say 30 people in that company ? to a single thought ?

Or does it only search name field in address book ?

Thanks...

zenrain
Yes, it does create one child each time you add the item, with one attachment each. As far as I can tell, you can move the attachment to other thoughts, but you can not re-name it, as it breaks the link.

I believe it searches all fields for the name, when I did a search on company name it found over 30 employees who were in my Address Book.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Appleman
iCal integration is not working for me.

Address Book is working fine.

When I search on a Calendar item in the search bar, I can see the iCal items in the search results. I had the + button to add it to the brain. So far so good.

However, when I click on the attachment to open the event in iCal, Personal Brain ignores iCal and opens Microsoft Entourage instead. This is annoying because I no longer use Entourage as a mail client, and I just keep it around in case I need to search through old emails. So when it kicks off Entourage, I get all kinds of error messages about setting up email accounts and allowing external connections. It will open the ics file in Entourage in an otherwise empty calendar.

Am I doing something wrong?

(By the way, I just tested the integration with Mail.App, and it is working as expected. It opens properly in Mail.App without getting Entourage involved.)
Appleman
Never mind my previous post. I sorted it out myself.

Just in case anyone else runs into this, do the following.
Find an .ics file. (If necessary, save one to your desktop from the Calendar)
Right-click/Get Info on the .ics file - you will see that Entourage is selected as the default application for this file type. Change the default application to iCal.
Now, select the checkbox that says to change the default application for ALL files of this type. (Note: this could cause entourage .ics files to open in iCal, so be sure this is what you want)

ibsteve
I have not been able to get these features to work in AddressBook or iCal. Mail seems to be ok. If addressBook is open I get "unknown error -1728" and in the PB search is returned "AddressBook: button returned: OK."

It also freezes PB until I click OK.

One question, what does PB search in Mail?

Thanks,
Steve
Harlan
We're looking into why under some configurations Address Book does not respond to our requests for information.

PB searches mail using Spotlight - the subject and body of messages are searched.

FYI, drag and drop from Mail will be working in the as yet unreleased 5.1 beta with some minor caveats.
Regards,
-Harlan
JLRoberts
Thank you for your efforts to get PB for Mac up to par with the PC version.

Please please please add drag-and-drop from Address Book. Without this, PB is like a hot dog without mustard. Or even the option of automatic creation of a "Contacts" thought and automatic creation of every contact as a child of "Contacts"

Also, why is it that Spotlight and Finder can't see into PB?

Lastly, if pressing space bar made a preview of the attached file I would appreciate it greatly. It is one of the most useful (to me) features of OSX and it will be great when PB can take advantage of it.

tcarternyc
Harlan wrote:
We're looking into drag and drop support, but so far we have not been able to get them working.

Hi Harlan,

Would the team be able to include an option to select multiple address book entries using checkboxes and provision a button to Add Selected or Add all?

I feel this would ease the pain somewhat.

Regards,
Tommie Carter
Have a little fun each day.
leedherman
Harlan,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the drag and drop. Being able to link address book entries and other common Mac objects directly into an idea (not just as children) really is a show stopper for me. I love the visual linking of ideas in The Brain but I have too much in many places in my Mac to be able to afford the overhead of search and there are other places (DEVONthink PRO Office, OmniFocus, to mention only two critical ones) where I drag these links now and need that same ability in The Brain.

Waiting hopefully,
Lee
dthompson310
I have been unable to get my iCal or Address info to come up in a search.  Mail works fine.  It would be so helpful if iCal and Address would work as well.  I haven't seen anything in the forum here that would tell me what is wrong.  eg. I put a name in the search and no address info comes up at all.

Could someone please tell me what else to do?  Can I fix this?

Moe
dthompson310, Thanks for the post.  When you do a search for an Addressbook entry or iCal, is any information returned into the search results pane? If there are many matches, it could be that you have to load the next page of the search results to locate the entry. Next, are you able to do a search for the Addressbook or iCal entry using Spotlight and not PB to locate the entries? If possible, can you try doing a search for the iCal or Addressbook entry from within PB's instant search then send us a copy of your output.log file and search.log file to support@thebrain.com.  The search.log file can be found in your "_brain" folder. To find the output.log file on the Mac go to PersonalBrain in the Applications Directory then select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS in the Finder window, you can find the output.log file in the Contents > Resources > App folder.

Best regards,
Moe

zenrain
You can also try rebuilding spotlight's database.
I've had similar issues with Leap, and rebuilding the database resolved the issue. Just be aware that depending on the amount of data and speed of your Mac, it may take a while.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Roy
Any further update no drag and drop?
zenrain
Drag and drop for mail at least is implemented in the 5.5 betas. However, I'd review the beta forums for current issues and weigh them against the new features before deciding to take the plunge.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Rennie
error -1728

Anytime I use a search I get error -1728 and my address book freezes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software