CaptainJustice
(Windows 10)

I know. Depends on what each user thinks is important. But if a lot of people can indicate what they think is still missing of importance, then I'll have (and everyone will have) a good chance of seeing anything missing that I feel is important.
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 4, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
mctrexler
You're right, it's all in the perception of significance!  I don't have a lot of experience with the new TB9 because I can't switch over given the missing items. So all I can mention is those missing items. 

1. No TeamBrain
2. No Web Client up to 3rd party access
3. No expanded views (critical for developing interesting TheBrain visualizations) 
4. No filtered reports (critical for those same visualizations, among other things)
5. No Private thoughts (at least not that you can hide during presentations etc.)
metta

As Mark pointed out, the incomplete web client is the most severe limitation right now.

Other limitations and/or missing features in my Win7 installation are detailed below. (I don't know if Mac installations exhibit different behavior, and I don't know if some of the items I've listed are bugs that may, at some point, be fixed.)

Whether you will consider these missing features to be "significant" or not depends on how you use TheBrain. For me, the absence of these features, along with significant speed and performance issues in TB9, means that I'm still keeping my primary data in TB8.

Missing and/or Limited Features

• Notes
    • Font selection is set at the theme level -- with no option to change fonts within notes
    • Extremely limited control over line-spacing
    • No font size indicator in notes
    • No alignment option
    • No tables
    • No easy access to code view
    • Right-click menu in notes no longer has an insert link option
    • Checkboxes now strike through the adjacent text when checked, and there is no option to remove the strike-through
    • Inserting special characters is available, but does not (yet) work
    • No easy click option to open the notes (only) in a compact floating window
    • There is no "save" button now for the notes, and the "Edit > Undo" function (Ctrl+Z) often removes more than the most recent edit.
  • No static pane for search display with search terms highlighted
  • No static pane for editing thought types and tags
  • All thought icons assigned by thought type disappear when accessing thought properties (Only manually assigned icons show up in the thought properties box.) 
  • All thought colors and icons are lost in the right-click menus for "Set Type" or "Set Tag"
  • Copying the icon from an existing thought appears to be gone
  • No way to capture an image of the notes in V9 

Click Intensive Changes

• Back/forward navigation buttons frequently become non-functional when making changes in the note editor. This means an extra click somewhere outside the note editor is required before you can resume navigation.
  • Note access is completely lost when you access attachments
  • Drag/drop to move attachments is gone. Cut and paste is available, but if you want to drag/drop, the attachment will be copied from one thought to another, and then you'll have to go back and delete the attachment you originally wanted to move.

Sunsetted Features

• Virtual thoughts
  • Dock and auto-hide
  • Advanced tools layout
  • User Manual
Cerebrum

• Calendar (Timeline should have been in addition to, not instead of)
  • Saved Reports
  • Print function
  • Filters and options missing in Reports:
    • Date: Activated, Modified
    • Special:
      • Thoughts with Notes
      • Private Thoughts
      • Broken URL attachments
    • Attachments:
      • Internal attachments
      • External attachments
      • URL attachments
    • Sort:
      • Date activated
      • Date modified
      • Activity level
    • Filter:
      • Off, Inverse
      • Modification detail
  • Import Word Outline
  • Export to HTML and to Folders
  • More than one level of expansion
  • Many missing options in Preferences

Features that have already been mentioned that I would like back:
  • Expanded View
  • Editable list of Types and Tags
  • Tables in Notes
metta
Forgot to mention that speed and performance in TB9 are more subject to the speed of your hard drive than in TB8 -- which may be an important consideration for anyone who does not have a fast hard drive.

Also, for those who have not yet seen your other forum questions, there are reports of issues with Outlook integration. (I don't know any of the details on this, though, since I'm not an Outlook user.)
zenrain
These are available in reports:
  • Attachments:
    • Internal attachments
    • External attachments
    • URL attachments

Also, Date Modified sort isn't missing, it's the only choice (can no longer sort by date created in reports, just Date Modified and Name) [smile]

Edit:
  • There is no "save" button now for the notes, and the "Edit > Undo" function (Ctrl+Z) often removes more than the most recent edit.

This is a really annoying one... Can't say I miss a save button though.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mcaton
Working through the list above and making sure these are documented as feature requests.  Quick question, when you use Ctrl+Z in the Notes, what are you seeing deleted that you did not expect to be deleted?  Can you provide a scenario that can be replicated?

Thanks,
Matt
CaptainJustice
CaptainJustice wrote:
(Windows 10)

I know. Depends on what each user thinks is important. But if a lot of people can indicate what they think is still missing of importance, then I'll have (and everyone will have) a good chance of seeing anything missing that I feel is important.

Here is a compilation of all of the above notes which will help me to understand what I'm getting by diving into TB9 now, and I hope it will help others as well. I saw that Matt is looking over all of this so maybe this thread has been helpful. 

To clarify, I have complained elsewhere about the lack of Outlook integration and my disappointment in that but I am probably going to go ahead and pull the trigger on moving to TB9 as soon as I understand the list I just made  [biggrin]. I love the brain!

-------------------------- attribution to the contributor is noted below their list -----------------

1. No TeamBrain
3. No expanded views (critical for developing interesting TheBrain visualizations) 
4. No filtered reports (critical for those same visualizations, among other things)
5. No Private thoughts (at least not that you can hide during presentations etc.)
 -------------------------- by mtrexler ------------------

Missing and/or Limited Features

• Notes
    • Font selection is set at the theme level -- with no option to change fonts within notes
    • Extremely limited control over line-spacing
    • No font size indicator in notes
    • No alignment option
    • No tables
    • No easy access to code view
    • Right-click menu in notes no longer has an insert link option
    • Checkboxes now strike through the adjacent text when checked, and there is no option to remove the strike-through
    • Inserting special characters is available, but does not (yet) work
    • No easy click option to open the notes (only) in a compact floating window
  • No static pane for search display with search terms highlighted
  • No static pane for editing thought types and tags
  • All thought icons assigned by thought type disappear when accessing thought properties (Only manually assigned icons show up in the thought properties box.) 
  • All thought colors and icons are lost in the right-click menus for "Set Type" or "Set Tag"
  • Copying the icon from an existing thought appears to be gone
  • No way to capture an image of the notes in V9 

Click Intensive Changes

• Back/forward navigation buttons frequently become non-functional when making changes in the note editor. This means an extra click somewhere outside the note editor is required before you can resume navigation.
  • Note access is completely lost when you access attachments
  • Drag/drop to move attachments is gone. Cut and paste is available, but if you want to drag/drop, the attachment will be copied from one thought to another, and then you'll have to go back and delete the attachment you originally wanted to move.

Sunsetted Features

• Virtual thoughts
  • Dock and auto-hide
  • Advanced tools layout
  • User Manual

Forgot to mention that speed and performance in TB9 are more subject to the speed of your hard drive than in TB8 -- which may be an important consideration for anyone who does not have a fast hard drive.

Also, for those who have not yet seen your other forum questions, there are reports of issues with Outlook integration. (I don't know any of the details on this, though, since I'm not an Outlook user.)
 ------------------------ by metta-------------------

• Calendar (Timeline should have been in addition to, not instead of)
  • Saved Reports
  • Print function
  • Filters and options missing in Reports:
    • Date: Activated, Modified
    • Special:
      • Thoughts with Notes
      • Private Thoughts
      • Broken URL attachments
    • Attachments:
      • Internal attachments
      • External attachments
      • URL attachments
    • Sort:
      • Date activated
      • Date modified
      • Activity level
    • Filter:
      • Off, Inverse
      • Modification detail
  • Import Word Outline
  • Export to HTML and to Folders
  • More than one level of expansion
  • Many missing options in Preferences

Features that have already been mentioned that I would like back:
  • Expanded View
  • Editable list of Types and Tags
  • Tables in Notes
-------------------------------- by cerebrum ----------------------

Clarification by zenrain
These are available in reports:
  • Attachments:
    • Internal attachments
    • External attachments
    • URL attachments

Also, Date Modified sort isn't missing, it's the only choice (can no longer sort by date created in reports, just Date Modified and Name) [smile]

Edit:
  • There is no "save" button now for the notes, and the "Edit > Undo" function (Ctrl+Z) often removes more than the most recent edit.

This is a really annoying one... Can't say I miss a save button though.
----------------------------------------- by zenrain -----------------------------

-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 4, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
metta
Thank you, thank you, Matt, for documenting these feature requests! Very much appreciated.

Thank you too, Cap'n, for affording the opportunity for us to submit this collection of wish lists. (Yes, the compilation is helpful!) ;-)

In response to your question, Matt, the Ctrl-Z behavior is erratic, so I would (unfortunately) have no idea how to replicate the problem. However, when it occurs, I expect the last letter, or the last word I typed to be removed. Instead, it is not uncommon for 3/4 of a line of text to disappear, which is far more than what I wanted to delete.
revdavid

is the expanded view feature going to be added to Brain 9? God I hope so - that feature is critical when I do a presentation of my brain.

mctrexler wrote:
You're right, it's all in the perception of significance!  I don't have a lot of experience with the new TB9 because I can't switch over given the missing items. So all I can mention is those missing items. 

1. No TeamBrain

Peace,

Rev.D.
metta
Here is Harlan's feedback on the expanded view from last August:

We decided against including our first pass at expanded views this time because there were many other higher priority items. However, we have already invested many months of development time into a new expanded view. It's just not quite ready and still has a ways to go. FYI, it is a very different approach from the expanded view in v8 which has both positive and negative aspects to it.
> http://forums.thebrain.com/post/brain-9-no-expanded-view-8417935?pid=1297996318

These comments were extracted from a much more lengthy discussion of the expanded view which begins here:
> http://forums.thebrain.com/post/brain-9-no-expanded-view-8417935
Manni
For me a huge missing feature is the disappearance of Presentation Mode. I really like the uncluttered look of V8 during a presentation and for this reason only I'm waiting for this to be implemented in V9 (I understand it is listed in the requested features).
TB V10.0.23.0 running in a Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803 VM (Parallels 14) in Mac OS V10.14 (Mojave Public release). Host is a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz. Win VM has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available, Mac Host has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available as well.
Daves
metta wrote:
Forgot to mention that speed and performance in TB9 are more subject to the speed of your hard drive than in TB8 -- which may be an important consideration for anyone who does not have a fast hard drive.
a
Also, for those who have not yet seen your other forum questions, there are reports of issues with Outlook integration. (I don't know any of the details on this, though, since I'm not an Outlook user.)

metta Is that why we can no longer have brains stored on network drives or USB keys in version 9?
Dave S
metta
@Daves ~

To be honest, Dave, I don't really know much about the situation with network or USB drives and TheBrain 9.

If they don't work with TB9, I suspect it may have something to do with either:
-- (1) the way TB9 brains are stored on our hard drives and/or
-- (2) the way the TB9 interfaces with the web client.

However, it would be better to get feedback on this from the TB staff since I can't really shed any good light on this.
shatcher
Dave, Metta,

One of the things we worked on with V9 is the speed of access to files. As Harlan said a few months ago "TheBrain 9 depends on the access to the database being fast - if it is slow TheBrain will be slow. This is why slow drives (such as network drives, USB drives, or other drives where an additional layer is added) can have an impact."
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/v-215-running-extremely-slow-on-windows-9288741?pid=1300017857

We also recommend against storing Brains on removable media, or network drives, because it is very easy to corrupt the data, or mess up the links. If TheBrain 9 is started without access to the network drive, or without the USB drive plugged in, this will cause data issues.

Cheers, Sean

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software