HanBav
Now Import of Word 2007 outlines shall be possible (don't have it for test) and Import of OPLM is possible (made a little test, works).
My question is: is there or will be an export of brain-parts to Word or OPLM?
Or does anybody know a translator from Brain XML to Word or OPLM?

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
jostber
And OpenOffice too.
TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

Harlan
These formats do not support all of the data that is available in PB, so export is not possible. Copy outline gives some of the data and of course the XML export gives 100% of the data.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Adathome wrote: "Copy outline gives some of the data" But how do you get the flat information, all the personal input out of the brain? TOUGHT_TEXT, THOUGHT_TYPE, LINK_TEXT, LINKTYPE and NOTETEXT.    "and of course the XML export gives 100% of the data" But for that people that are not familiar with XML they can't do anything with that XML file.

PB's database is quite complex and uses many tables. If you really want the info you can import it into Excel (From Excel: File > Open > select XML file type), but as you will see there is a lot of data. The XML format is far more accessible IMHO.
Regards,
-Harlan
Adathome
OK, thanks

I think i need spent some time learning XML schema and xml transformation.
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
HanBav
Harlan, but why does the outline exported to Word not contain the Notes? I don't understand the non-symmetry: import is with notes = text, export without notes. Or do I confuse something?
Harlan
The outline format uses text only. Notes are in HTML format and could contain just about anything so they can't be included.
Regards,
-Harlan
HanBav
Don't know the effort to convert, but: I would be happy to get only text transferred with the outline.
ottohirr
Some of the concepts you are requesting are like trying to map the world to a flat piece of paper, eg export to excel - it is inherently flat. The reason you all like PB is because it is not flat, not simply a tree structure (outline like FreeMind). So xml is the single best import/export format.

That being said, use of xslt on the xml will provide some of the formats you want.

Another programmatic alternative is the use of something like perl, activestate's is available free, and use the xml treebuilder to parse, then walk the tree and format (print) out what ever you want...

Just some alternatives.

Use of regex's as someone noted (maybe in different thread) should be avoided.

..Otto

paulgonzalez

ottohirr wrote: Some of the concepts you are requesting are like trying to map the world to a flat piece of paper, eg export to excel - it is inherently flat. The reason you all like PB is because it is not flat, not simply a tree structure (outline like FreeMind).

---

And herein lies one of the disadtantages of PB.  It is so incestuous in its brilliance (it is a brilliant piece of software) that it cannot communicate with the outside world.  And so, what does a brain matter if it does not communicate well?  Look at MindManager -- it's export to html is nearly website/document/presentation quality (it even includes stylesheets!) and onto a structure that most other prople would understand.  On the other hand, for example, the HTML export in PB is sophomoric:  Each thought is it's own *.html file?  Gimme a break. 

Thinking in "three dimensions" is nothing new. Documents and websites aptly do so all the time.  I mean, seriously "Create Jump" cannot be desbribed linearly?  'cmon...

Heading 1 (a parent)
  Heading 2 (a child)
  Heading 2 (another child)
   -- See also <this link> <this link> <this link> <this link> (a "jump list!")

PB needs to grow up and speak to the outside world, otherwise, who's going to listen? /pg.
JavaMan
Hi paulgonzalez,

I have created an export from brain 5.5 to open xml i.e. word 2007.  It works and gives me a great tool for exporting to a format "the masses" find acceptable.

Can you have it?  Well no, I asked the support team if they wanted it but they said the were not accepting external developers currently.

I have created functionality to have word 2007, title, header1..6 then ordinals if you wish to order the thoughts in a particular order.  Then also, a 'descends' that says capture everything below me using decreasing header levels.

PB is cool, all that is needed is to cut the multidimentional problem into the level word can handle.  In my solution I used tag's to define DisplayStyle=title, ordinal=1, DisplayStyle=Header3, Descends=true ...

It is like a data warehousing problem in multi dimensions, you cut through to a solution that works for you.

If you are interested I will send you an example brain and an example word generated document.

When I have finished this I will move onto an import which is much the same game but in reverse.

Hopefully, you will shout loud and they will do it themselves or pay me some money for solving my own version of your frustration.

Good luck

JavaMan
Gilatiaeafilar
All that is needed is to cut the multidimentional problem into the level word can handle.  In my solution I used tag's to define DisplayStyle=title, ordinal=1,isplayStyle=Header3, Descends=true ... It is like a data warehousing problem in multi dimensions, you cut through to a solution that works for you.If you are interested I will send you an example brain and an example word generated document.When I have finished this I will move onto an import which is much the same game but in reverse.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software