JosefBetancourt
My PB3 had many thoughts pointing to folder locations.  On import into PB4 these thoughts no longer contain the folder shortcuts or are not virtual.  Shouldn't PB4 have created thoughts and then attach the folder as an attachment or something?

Btw, some of these thoughts were pointing to networked drives that were not available when the import was done.

-- Josef

Harlan

We'll test this out and see what's going wrong. I do know that if the shortcuts cannot be resolved at import time, they can't then be imported.

Regards,
-Harlan
mroskow
I am having the same problem.  When I import my PB3 it just shows a thought with then name of the folder and no connection to the folder it self.

All of the folder are on a local drive and accessible (they work on PB3).
Marc Roskow
mroskow
Here is some additional information

my version info:
Pro Edition
Ver 4.0.7.5 with Indexing Libraries july 16.2007
J-1.6.0_01

I recreated the problem with a very simple brain

1. create folder @ c:/pb testfolder
2. put 2 text file in it
3. created a new PB3 brain  testfoldermigrate
4. dragged testfolder in to testfoldermigrate brain
5. Everything works as expected.
6. exit PB3
7. Start PB4
8. open testfoldermigrate brain
         it prompts for converison said OK
         it prompts for private and and forgotten thoughts, take defaults

9. open finishes with no errors
10. click on pb testfolder there are no documents attached or otherwise

Marc Roskow
Harlan
This is on the list of things to fix. Thanks for investigating this for us and reporting it!
Regards,
-Harlan
jakway
This is a major problem for me.  One of the most important benefits of PersonalBrain for me is the ability to link files and folders  on the hard drive in many different ways without having to duplicate the information on the hard drive.  I thought PersonalBrain facilitated new conceptual relationships with data leading to more insightful ways to solve problems.  I was amazed that such a major omission exists the conversion process.  I was set to buy the new version but there is no way I'm going to go back and spend hours relinking folders/files/internet links/etc. which now I would be forced to do. 

Do you have any idea when PB3 to PB4 conversion will be fixed?  I'm getting the impression from reading the forum posts that this function is more important to me than to your company - though I hope I'm wrong.  Is there a date yet for resolving this problem with the conversion process? 
Harlan
We've fixed this problem in version 4.0.8.1, which will be available as the Windows beta version at the bottom of the download page within a few minutes.
Regards,
-Harlan
jakway
Thanks for a prompt response!

I 've just installed the PB4 beta version and at first glance it appears to resolve my issue with the PB 3 to PB 4 conversion results.

Thanks again.

Regards,

jakway
jakway
I've sent several messages through email without success so I'll use the Message Board to reach you.

Harlan:

I was hoping you could give me feedback regarding how PB4 shows
virtual files.  After importing PB3, PB4 appears to create an
additional 'virtual folder' holding the virtual files and rather
than displaying the individual files on the plex below the
folder, it lists the virtual files to the right of the plex under
'Properties and Attachments."  Could you clarify that this is
intended or if I can change the settings or import process so the
files show on the plex beneath the transferred folder together
with any subfolders it may also hold?  Also, PB4 always freezes
after viewing several folders or so where PB3 works fine with the
identical data loaded.  Is there some way such as a file within
PB4 that logs problems as they occur and identifies the source of
the problem?

I would appreciate your help since I like the presentation of PB4
and I could live with how it displays virtual files if that is
normal.  However, the constant freezing makes the program
unworkable.  It cannot be a memory issue, I have 2GB of RAM and
PB3 works great with the exact same database - which is funny
because I'm now using it on a new computer with Vista and some of
my other programs didn't function as well as PB3 is with Vista.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

David

zenrain
Well, Harlan I'm not, but until he replies, here's something.

The way PB 4 displays virtual folders is in the original thought, P&A will display a shortcut to the folder. Below the shortcut will be the virtual folder. With the virtual folder as the active thought, all files within the folder are displayed in P&A (not as individual thoughts as 3 did). All subfolders are then displayed below as children virtual folders.
The times I've found that virtual folder performance slows down is when I'm browsing network files. It may take a while to connect depending on the network connections and file transfer speed etc. If this occurs on your local folders though, it's probably something else.

Good Luck!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
David,

As zenrain stated, PB4 does show the files within folders as attachments instead of as thoughts. This was a design decision to make virtual thoughts parallel how PB4's thought work - you'll note that you can now also add notes and icons to virtual thoughts.

In order to troubleshoot the problems you are having, please reproduce the problem and then upload your output.log file, which is located in the PB program folder. We'll take a look and see if we learn anything. Can you also describe when the problem tends to occur? Does it happen consistently in the same spot? Can you describe what's there? Are there a any shortcuts? If so, where do they point? Also, is the folder local or a network share?

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software