zenrain
This may be only be useful to a small subset of TheBrain users, but thought I'd post it anyway. 

If you use the Pinboard bookmarking site, you can export all your links to XML. Using this file, you can run a regex find and replace to modify it to TheBrain outline format and then rename the text file and import into your brain.

Here's what you need:
  • A Pinboard Account
  • A decent text editor capable of RegEx Find and Replace (I use Sublime Text)
  • A sense of adventure
To export your bookmarks, go to  http://www.pinboard.in/export  and choose XML. 
This will export all your bookmarks. Now open the file in your text editor of choice. 
Choose Find and Replace and you generally will have to enable RegEx.

Here's the syntax I use. Note that Sublime Text uses Boost Syntax. Others may have slightly different formatting.

Find:
<post href="([*]*.*)" time=[*]*.* description="([*]*.*)" extended="([*]*.*)" tag=[*]*.*

Replace:
$2
   $1
   -$3

Please note my RegEx skills are poor. I'm sure there is a vastly better way to do this. If you have one, please feel free to scoff at my measly attempt and post your better version.

This expression should replace the majority of your text into an outline format you can import into TheBrain. I've noticed some text with certain notes are not modified by the expression. I also noticed that if notes have linebreaks, that will cause issues also. I'm sure there is a way to modify the expression to fix it, however I haven't invested the time yet. 

I wouldn't recommend importing all the bookmarks at once. For one, TheBrain can't handle anything over approximately 500 at a time. I would also recommend that you use File > Import Text Outline. I've found that if you copy and paste it will miss thoughts, even if you do less than 500. You will have to rename the export file from .xml to .txt for TheBrain to see the file. 

Once this is done, TheBrain will take a while to import the favicons and index the sites.
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192
Pinky
I'm another pinboard user. Does this import tags?
What does the $1 $2 $3 refer to in the Regex expression?

Thanks,
----------
Pinky
zenrain
In a regex expression, anything in parenthesis is stored so it can then be parsed later. 

The $1 refers to the contents of the first parenthesis, $2 the second, etc.
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192
Pinky
zenrain wrote: In a regex expression, anything in parenthesis is stored so it can then be parsed later. 

The $1 refers to the contents of the first parenthesis, $2 the second, etc.

How to I import tags?

------
Pinky
zenrain
You can parse out the tags from Pinboard, however the outline import format used to import that information into TheBrain doesn't include a way to import tags.
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192
Pinky
zenrain wrote: You can parse out the tags from Pinboard, however the outline import format used to import that information into TheBrain doesn't include a way to import tags.

A few thoughts on that...

Upon looking at the python export script contributed by unhinged in this forum

del.icio.us to Brain

and using The Brain XML dfd information --- importing tags looks possible with a few changes to the python script. At some point I may give it a spin... or maybe unhinged is checking this thread

------
Pinky
zenrain
Yes, it is possible if you create the XML structure to import the thoughts. I just didn't want to expend that sort of time and effort.
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software