rob_davis0
I love the new look and feel. Multiple tabs and windows are very useful. Also like the facility to preview attachments in the notes window. 

Some requests - hope they are useful

Rob

1) Make properties window re-sizable. I have very long thought and label names and can only see the first few letters in the properties window. (Auto-resize would be useful). There is now nowhere I can see and edit the full name and label text.

2) Allow thought names to be edited by clicking twice (slow clicks not double-click) on the thought and also have a rename option on right-click menu. This would be compatible with most other software and allow quick changes to be made.

3) Allow the properties window to be dockable and/or permanently visible. I like to move round the plex selecting thoughts and quickly looking at my long thought names and label names without more clicking. This doesn't work well with current property window. It would be great to be able to have the property window on a separate screen.

4) Allow the notes window to be detachable. Again it would be great to have it on a seprate screen.

5) Provide custom sort option for child thoughts. i.e. be able to drag them into a specific order that is preserved (also see next)

6) Provide auto-numbering option for child thoughts. There could then be an option to sort by number and dragging a child thought to a different position would change its number. There could be an option to have the number appear as part of the thought name or as a separate entry. (I do something like this now, but manually and its a pain to change the order of lots of child thoughts).

7) Mindmap view looks good, but I think to be useful it would be necessary to be able to drag the thoughts  around into different positions.

zenrain
2. If you set Properties > On Click Active Thought set to Open Properties, you can single click a thought to rename it (it opens the Properties window, with the cursor in the Thought name. You can also access it by hitting [Enter] for the active thought or Option/Ctrl + Enter for the non-active thought.

5. To define your own custom sort, prepend the note name with ".1",".2" etc. The numbers will only be visible when view the Thought Properties and the thoughts will sort in the numeric order you provide.[smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
rob_davis0
Thanks Zenrain

zenrain wrote:
2. If you set Properties > On Click Active Thought set to Open Properties, you can single click a thought to rename it (it opens the Properties window, with the cursor in the Thought name.

Yes I do this, but with my long names I only see the first couple of words so have to scroll back and forwards to find the editing point. Its not as easy as going straight to the field in the Brain 8 thoughts window

zenrain wrote:
 You can also access it by hitting [Enter] for the active thought or Option/Ctrl + Enter for the non-active thought.

That's a great tip - it makes life much easier.

zenrain wrote:
 5. To define your own custom sort, prepend the note name with ".1",".2" etc. The numbers will only be visible when view the Thought Properties and the thoughts will sort in the numeric order you provide.[smile]

Would you explain this a bit more - what do you mean by note name? I tried the thought name and label but the numbers are still visible.

Thanks

Rob

zenrain
Quote:
Would you explain this a bit more - what do you mean by note name? I tried the thought name and label but the numbers are still visible.

Sorry, I meant Thought Name. For Example, ".1 Hydrophobia" and ".2 Agrophobia" will appear as "Hydrophobia", "Agrophobia" but sort as defined by the numbers.

One other tip for reading long thought names. In the content pane, at the top right you will see the full thought name. I think I read somewhere that they will be evaluating displaying multiple lines in the plex in a future release, but it's not easy, so it'll take a while. 
Edit: I tried searching for the thread but didn't find anything, so take this with a grain of salt. I could just be mis-remembering. [smile]
Edit 2: You can also click on that text to get to the thought properties. Not helpful for your issue, but pointing it out anyway because it's not obvious.

Sorry I'm not much more help. I don't generally use long names, so don't run into the issue as much.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
rob_davis0
yes thats what I thought you meant, but I had tried it out in Brain 8 and it didn't work, but now I have tried it on Brian 9 and yes it works - very useful.

The display at the top right is useful you and party gets around my problem.

thanks for your help. 
mcaton
Thanks for the ideas and feedback.  I'm in the process of documenting the feature request.

Regarding 2) Allow thought names to be edited - as ZenRain mentioned, you can easily rename from the Though Properties Display (TPD) with a single click - or ALT + Click a not active Thought (on Windows)  And opening the TPD can be done with keystrokes or from the right click context menu.

The hidden ordering system is a great new feature of TheBrain 9! Glad you like it.

Thank you,
Matt

Harlan
We have made the thought properties dialog automatically resize when there is a long thought name in 9.0.137.
Regards,
-Harlan
rob_davis0
Thats great - just what I wanted.

Thanks

Rob

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software