SmartDust
Hi,

I am still trying to recover from this indexing issue and it's not really working.
I have the impression that indexing does not work properly and is still too error prone. There is some exception handling like skipping troublesome files but it is still unpredictable. My brains (test and production) don't have any completed index anymore because the process crashed. I tried it on a brainzip, and on a regular brain and both have stalled. I've posted this before but never received any constructive feedback on this. I've posted the log files. I can not post my brain because it contains sensitive information. I hope stability and performance will improve with a next release because this becomes a real hassle to deal with to the point that I am not updating my brain anymore.

Best Regards

Siegfried

mcaton
Siegfried,

I looked through some old correspondences and could only find records of some 4.0 log files.  Did you upgrade to 4.1?  The current release version is 4.1.2.8.  Please upgrade and send me a fresh copy of your log files.  You can post the logs here, or send them to either support@thebrain.com or matt@thebrain.com.

Thank you!
Matt
SmartDust
Matt,

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2299693
This is from 4.1.2.7

Best Regards

Siegfried

Harlan
Hi Siegfried,

I have asked Daniel, the engineer in charge of search and indexing for PB, to take a look at your log files. He may be contacting you for additional information. Thanks for your patience with this issue.

Regards,
-Harlan
Daniel

Hi Siegfried,

Your log files show that your Indexing Process hangs when trying to index an attachment of the Thought 14468.

Please try the following to avoid the problem and complete the Indexing Process:

Starts PersonalBrain and skip the Indexing Process that runs at startup.

Activate the Thought 14468 to view the attachments of it. You can activate this Thought typing in the Search Box of the Plex the number of the Thought, 14468, and pressing Ctrl+Enter after this.

After activating the Thought 14468, please temporary remove the attachments of this Thought to complete the Indexing Process that runs at startup.

Restarts PersonalBrain and continue the Indexing Process that runs at startup. The Indexing Process will be completed because the bad attachments are not present in your Brain.

Please let us know if the previous steps work for you.

Can you send the bad attachments to us? (This will be very useful to exactly reproduce your problem).

Some other useful logs are created during the Indexing Process and also will be useful to see what is happening with your indexing: IndexBuilder.dat, IndexBuilder.log, UrlIndexBuilder.dat, UrlIndexBuilder.log. These log files are located in your _brain folder, please send these files also.

Regards,

dperalta@thebrain.com

SmartDust
Thanks Daniel,
And thanks Harlan for stepping in...

The solution proposed worked. Nice to know one can access thoughts by their ID directly in the search box. Speeds up the debugging. The last entry in the index file before it stalled is actually the last thought that could be indexed (was just a thought without any attachment). I had to increment the index with one. This could have saved a lot of frustration if I had known this before. Ironically, the file that stalled the process was a copy of my PB activation file (.bin file) :-), go figure...

Once again, thanks for having solved this issue, big sigh of relief!

Best Regards

Siegfried

Daniel

Thanks Siegfried,

It is good to see that your problem was solved. We will continue working with Indexing to improve the process and to avoid this type of situations.

Thanks again,

dperalta@thebrain.com

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software