Spacenexus
Slightly off topic here but i thought this would be a useful pointer for community members concerned about their brains growing out of control.

http://www.drobo.com/

Effectively a smart data management / redundant backup system that grows seamlessly with your needs. "Take your brain out of that bottle, Igor..."

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Shiiko
Nice!
mbaas
Jim, do you actually have one of those?
Spacenexus

No, only came across it yesterday actually but all reviews seem positive. Will provide some feedback as and when i get it.

@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
JosefBetancourt
Nice looking unit.   I myself have an Infrant ReadyNAS, http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus

There are so many NAS device out there now, you really have to know what you are buying.  For example, performance varies greatly between them.

--- Josef

JosefBetancourt
Oops.   Didn't read enough on Drobo, its not a NAS, just a USB connected storage unit.  Nice.   No RAID?   Hmmm.

-- Josef

Spacenexus
Hi Josef

Was looking at the ReadyNAS which also looks like a great piece of kit. I always understood RAID to require identical sized disks for operation but it appears that the Infrant XRAID system gets around that too. How have you found it? Buffalo's terastation does a similar job.

The thing i like about this drobo is that you can start off with 2 disks that meet your requirements then sometime later add another disk of any size, manufature or SATA I/II format and simply stick it in the toaster, shut the cover and that's it. This is flexibility above and beyond RAID. No configuration or anything. The system will automatically and Locutusly assimilate the disk into its system without any further intervention. And i think that's the key thing; the system is future proof, robust, effective and above all simple.

cheers

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
mbaas
What I would really have loved about the Drobo if it would allow me to take out a disk, store it at home (for a wk or so) and then bring it back and exchange it with another disk - as some sort of home-made disaster recovery. But unfortunately, when you have a single disk (and a new drobo) you can not restore your stuff from there and start again (just checked this with Drobo-support). Pity, that would have been a major argument for my rational brain-side to get one
JosefBetancourt
Spacenexus wrote:
Hi Josef
Was looking at the ReadyNAS which also looks like a great piece of kit. I always understood RAID to require identical sized disks for operation but it appears that the Infrant XRAID system gets around that too. How have you found it? Buffalo's terastation does a similar job.

The same features are provided by X-RAID.  You can start with one disk and as you add disks they are automatically added to the RAID system, even different sized disks.  The catch is that it use the size of the smallest disk as the per disk size, so going up in size is easy.  I went from 250GB to 500GB with no problems.

The ReadyNAS is very good and solid.  I have an older model.    The fact that it is a NAS means the whole family can easily have access to it.   Very good OS and admin tools. etc.   Only gotcha is that small files are not as efficent as larger files.  I have not tried to use PB4 over the lan with this to see how well it performs.

Note that with the Drobo or anything else, backup is still an issue.

--- Josef

dschach

all these features (and more) are on Windows Home Server (http://www.homeserver.com).  It backs up my computers every night (including my brains). 

labische
I use a Western Digital My Book World Edition 1tb -
2 drives - 7200 speed - runs thru gigabit router - fast transfers
accessible to any computer over the LAN - back-up to it regularly with all machines
Brain is in its own partition -
I can sit on desktop and play with my Brain
Out on deck and play with my Brain
also use it with VNC from hotel rooms/offices across the country -
been using My Book for almost a year -- not had a problem yet

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software