rogerwalk
This morning I tried to install v151 (before was v150) when it was offered as an update. The install was successful for the download, but when I closed TheBrain for the install to complete, it "hung up" with the window "Updating the Brain" (running >15min). I terminated the non-responsive app with the Task Manager of Win10. When reopening TheBrain, it opened v150 just fine. Several attempts to sync with the server then were unsuccessful (stopped at "Getting remote Data"). Opening v150 15min later again resulted in a successful sync with the server. 

Logfile is attached.
Roger
Harlan
Hi Roger,

The problem you had syncing was likely unrelated to .151 and was probably a co-incidence.

FYI, when the sync says "getting remote data", that means that it is waiting for a response from the server. It's not an error or indication of a problem unless if takes an excessively long time (which depends on how many changes have been made on the server side). You can let it continue to run in the background. If you close TB while that message is still there, the sync will be incomplete but will re-sync it self on the next round.

Please try updating to .151 again and let us know what happens.
Regards,
-Harlan
Visnet
I had the same yesterday also. This was caused by my virusscanner (Symantec). I earlier had set a directory for skipping scans in the directory C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\TheBrain\Updates. But the latest update is not going there anymore, but is going to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp. 
This caused the upgrade to start, but the window "Updating the Brain" was running but never finishing. probably because the antivirus program moved the executable to quarantine. This was 'because of to "There is not enough information about this file to recommend it." And then it just removes the file....

maybe that is what is happening for you?

Temporary adding o C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp to the exceptionlist gives the opportunity to install the update. Do not forget to remove the exception again as this is not a save area at all. 

Wim
andreas
I tried to sync today but always got the following error:

2017-02-14 18:40:36.6398 | ERROR | TheBrain.Desktop.UserAvatarManager | [64] Failed to load avatar for name@address - Could not initialize an instance of the type 'AppKit.NSImage': the native 'initWithContentsOfFile:' method returned nil.
It is possible to ignore this condition by setting MonoTouch.ObjCRuntime.Class.ThrowOnInitFailure to false..
System.Exception: Could not initialize an instance of the type 'AppKit.NSImage': the native 'initWithContentsOfFile:' method returned nil.
It is possible to ignore this condition by setting MonoTouch.ObjCRuntime.Class.ThrowOnInitFailure to false.
at Foundation.NSObject.InitializeHandle (System.IntPtr handle, System.String initSelector) [0x000ad] in <189177a3c19f4817a9949e2a4d50d18e>:0
at AppKit.NSImage..ctor (System.String fileName) [0x00042] in <189177a3c19f4817a9949e2a4d50d18e>:0
at #eyq.#hAq.#l8p (System.String #bc) [0x00000] in <b79765f1dc6f4c97a81354c0dd7e4c00>:0
at #g6p.#M4z.#Dqp (System.String #Q) [0x00000] in <b79765f1dc6f4c97a81354c0dd7e4c00>:0
at #g6p.#oU.#Dqp (#g6p.#z8u #t4z, System.String #Q, #g6p.#I4z #u4z) [0x0000f] in <b79765f1dc6f4c97a81354c0dd7e4c00>:0
at #g6p.#oU.#T0f (System.String #bc) [0x00016] in <b79765f1dc6f4c97a81354c0dd7e4c00>:0
at #QY.#2eA.#eFw (System.String #OEv, System.String #ME, System.String #NE, System.Action #1eA) [0x000d9] in <b79765f1dc6f4c97a81354c0dd7e4c00>:0

Additionally, the error message in output.log has a timer that runs 1 hour earlier than my machine. It's 10 am but the  output.log logs the error at 9 am.

Andreas
Harlan
Andreas,

That error message is unrelated to sync and is not actually a problem. If you are having trouble with sync, please let us know what the error message says and send us your output.log file.
Regards,
-Harlan
andreas
Harlan,

I do get an " Unknown error syncing". Before, I used to get the "mergesync" error. Output.log is attached.

Andreas
Harlan
Thanks, but that looks like only a small portion of the output.log file. We'll need the complete file to troubleshoot the issue. (Please update to .152 also if you have not already done so prior to posting a new output.log file.)
Regards,
-Harlan
andreas
argh, it archived the old log file.
BTW, 152 seems not to download, even with the alpha channel active.
mcaton
Andreas,

Correct - 152 will be available on Alpha soon...

Thanks,
Matt
rogerwalk
Harlan wrote: Hi Roger,

The problem you had syncing was likely unrelated to .151 and was probably a co-incidence.

FYI, when the sync says "getting remote data", that means that it is waiting for a response from the server. It's not an error or indication of a problem unless if takes an excessively long time (which depends on how many changes have been made on the server side). You can let it continue to run in the background. If you close TB while that message is still there, the sync will be incomplete but will re-sync it self on the next round.

Please try updating to .151 again and let us know what happens.

--------------------------------------------------
Hello Matt,

The sync problem is gone a few hours later, as you predicted. This is with running v150.

Re the problem to update from v150 to v151: Still not working (and I tried 2x each day since it has been offered. The "TheBrainUpdateHelper (32bit)" becomes -non-responsive (endless notification "The Brain is updating ...") and I have to shut the install down with task manager. After each attempt, I can open TheBrain v9.150 just fine. 

Please find two more log files for two independent attempts to install v151. Maybe your engineers can see what is going on.

Cheers,
Roger
Roger
mcaton
Roger,

Thanks for the update and complete log files.  I'll document this issue.  9.0.153 is now available - same response?

Thanks,
Matt
rogerwalk
Unfortunately "Yes". Also 153 is not installing. All attempts to install new versions of 9.0 are now not completing the notification "The Brain is updating .......". At this time I am stuck with 9.0.150, which works just fine with its challenges such as not attaching all URLS to Thoughts, loss of notes text when pasting) that I have reported before elsewhere and that may have been resolved in 153.

Cheers,
Roger
Roger
pthompson
Roger,

If you are having trouble auto updating, which I have not been able to replicate, you can manually download and install the latest version from TheBrain 9 Information Page.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mcaton
Roger,

We're also happy to join you in a web meeting to help you get 9.0.153 up and running.  Just let us know if you'd like to set something up - or you can contact me directly at matt@thebrain.com.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software