mctrexler
Recent postings by Harlan remind me of something that came up a while back.  Is it now impossible to back up TB9 via any kind of "copy this directory" command, as we could with TB8?  Here's why that matters to me:

1. With a 30+ GB brain, doing a full back-up is, I suspect, a painstaking process (I'm not in TB9, so I don't know).  With TB8 we use Foldermatch to synchronize TO a hard-drive the relevant directories to keep the backup up to date, and it does a very good job. 
2.  We're using TeamBrain, and TeamBrain doesn't actually sync correctly between computers (in our case thought icons usually disappear along the way).  Periodically we simply synchronize FROM the hard drive to the second TeamBrain computer, and get all the thought icons back.  That wouldn't be possible if having to restore from a compressed backup.  Which would mean periodically having to delete a 30 GB brain, and then restore a 30 GB Brain.  I am NOT looking forward to that, and the opportunity for errors gets much larger.  

Mark
Quote
Cerebrum
mctrexler wrote:
Is it now impossible to back up TB9 via any kind of "copy this directory" command, as we could with TB8?
It is not impossible. It is most definitely possible.

All TB9 brain data is stored in folders within one folder which, in Windows, defaults to c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Brains, with each Brain having a subfolder in this "master" folder. 

If you copy that one folder "Brains", you'll get all the TB9 data except for external attachments.
Quote
mctrexler
Cerebrum, thanks for that insight.  Have you actually verified that? When asking about this a year ago as I recall Harlan gave a different answer.  I do like your answer!  :-)  
Quote
Harlan
Cerebrum is correct. Copying your Brains directory backs up all your Brain data. Any standard backup software or manual copying of your Brains directory will work.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
Harlan
Also, the problem with icons sometimes not syncing correctly has been fixed in version 9.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
Antonio68
How it will work if I want to open a folder "Brain" coming from another computer and containing different brains with the software on my computer where I have already a folder named Brain?
How can I tell to the software to look at that folder? If I go to System, storage, select folder it seems he will duplicate what I already have on my computer.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Quote
metta
Harlan wrote:
Also, the problem with icons sometimes not syncing correctly has been fixed in version 9.
Are you referring to icons not syncing correctly between computers, or between computers and the web client?

The reason I ask is that I just installed the current alpha version (9.0.225) and some of my icons (and my thought order) are still not displaying correctly in the web client. Didn't know if that aspect of the sync had been fixed or not..

(Also, FYI, Support already has a copy of the brain to which I am referring.)
Quote
Harlan
Antonio68 wrote:
How it will work if I want to open a folder "Brain" coming from another computer and containing different brains with the software on my computer where I have already a folder named Brain?
How can I tell to the software to look at that folder? If I go to System, storage, select folder it seems he will duplicate what I already have on my computer.


Selecting a new folder to store your brains will use the selected folder instead of the current folder. TheBrain will not allow you do select an existing folder containing brain data unless your current brains folder is empty. If you want to move brains from on computer to another you should sync the brains you want to move to the cloud and download them on the new machine. If you do not want to use the cloud, you can also use File >  Backup to Brain Archive... then import on the new machine.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
Harlan
metta wrote:
Are you referring to icons not syncing correctly between computers, or between computers and the web client?

The reason I ask is that I just installed the current alpha version (9.0.225) and some of my icons (and my thought order) are still not displaying correctly in the web client. Didn't know if that aspect of the sync had been fixed or not..

(Also, FYI, Support already has a copy of the brain to which I am referring.)


I am referring to the the sync of icons from one computer to another. The web client has the correct data but there may be issues with rendering of icons there. At this time the web client does not support all of the thought ordering features of the desktop.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
metta
Thanks for confirming, Harlan.
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software