miadonis
When using a hidden ordered list, i.e. ".1, .2, .3, etc.", the ordering breaks down once I reach ".11"

While in Outline View, the eleventh Thought will become wedged between the first Thought and the second Thought in the list:
".1 Thought I 
.11 Thought XI 
.2 Thought II"

Please note that this issue comes up while using hidden ordering function with the 'comma trick' function.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.25

rengel
Mathematically, this is the correct place. You are not using the integer 11 but the fraction .11. It holds .1 < 0.11 < 0.2. So that's the correct position.
Have you tried to number the list with integers?
Reinhard TB 9.1.19.0 and 10.0.25.0. WIN 10

Quality is the result of the attention paid to details.
miadonis
Ok I see what you mean. Yes it’s mathematically correct, but we’re not talking about a cell in an Excel spreadsheet here. It’s a Thought Name. If the system is indeed treating hidden ordering lists as fractions then it needs to be changed. (I feel like I’ve moaned about this before in the forums so apologies for any double up.)

@rengel I’d like to hear your thoughts on whether or not there is any need for the “.” to have a decimal point function because I can’t think of a reason as to why it should behave this way. Is this perhaps a technical limitation? The “.” is really a formatting device; the Brain User Guide refers to it as a ‘period’ rather than a decimal point, and I feel it should behave in line with how Word documents treats numbered lists.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.25

Cerebrum
@miadonis, you're right. It is a period not a decimal point.

It will work as you expect if you select Name in "Arrange Thoughts by", when you right-click on the Plex.
rengel
miadonis wrote:
@rengel I’d like to hear your thoughts on whether or not there is any need for the “.” to have a decimal point function because I can’t think of a reason as to why it should behave this way. Is this perhaps a technical limitation? The “.” is really a formatting device; the Brain User Guide refers to it as a ‘period’ rather than a decimal point,

I never read the documentation on this topic. With my types, I just use a numering scheme (00, 01, 02, ... - without dots or decimal points), and it just works, when I select 'Arrange thougths by type' as Cerebrum points out.
Quote:
... and I feel it should behave in line with how Word documents treats numbered lists.

With TheBrain, I learned: Don't expect anything, don't assume any shoulds or shouldn'ts, then you won't be disappointed.

Cerebrum
rengel wrote:

I never read the documentation on this topic. With my types, I just use a numering scheme (00, 01, 02, ... - without dots or decimal points), and it just works, when I select 'Arrange thougths by type' as Cerebrum points out.
Actually, I said "if you select Name in 'Arrange Thoughts by'."

Arrange by Type will work if all the thoughts have the same Type. It won't work (i.e. the thoughts will not be sorted by number) if the thoughts have different Types.

Your numbering scheme works but the numbers are displayed as part of the thought's name. Also, using leading zeros avoids the problem of having "11" come before "2". 

With the "period trick", the numbers are hidden, unless you go into Thought Properties. You can even use the "period trick" with Types, but it can get weird. 
mcaton
I too include the extra zeros just out of habit.  Another tip on using this feature - I'll space things out so that there's always room for more at a later date and I don't have to rename EVERYTHING in a large group after .002.  For example, I'll name a group of thoughts:

.005 Discovery
.010 Documentation
.015 Research
.020 Purchase

Then if I decide to add a step/level called "Discussion"  I can add ".007 Discussion"  It shows up in the second slot without any additional renaming.

mc
miadonis
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed in a future version of TB. This method of adding extra zeros doesn't scale very well.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.25

rengel
@Cerebrum
Cerebrum wrote:
Actually, I said "if you select Name in 'Arrange Thoughts by'."...

Sorry, my mistake. I should have quoted you more carefully.

So far, I've never used dotted numbers in thought names to arrange thoughts in a certain order. I always arrange thoughts by type to get certain groups of (i.e. Books, Articles, Persons, etc.) together, and be quite happy with the alphabetic order within a type.
If I want to enforce a certain order within a group, I'm using a combination of types, subtypes, and numbers and then arrange thoughts by type, i.e.
order.png 

I use this scheme to avoid additional layers of purely organizational thoughts.
This is a little clumsy, but I don't have to care about renumbering single thoughts. Also, I only do this for some favorite topics of mine (especially some programming languages) where I collect many pieces of information from different sources. This works well if the subtypes have relatively few thoughts (the famous seven plus/minus two).
Of course, this falls apart if there are many more thoughts per subtype. Then an additional layer is in order (i.e. a glossary with fifty thoughts is probably ok, but fifty examples should probably arranged by yet another topical layer.)
Conversely, this scheme would be an overkill, if there only few thoughts per type (i.e. for topics you only have a cursory interest in).

Cerebrum
rengel wrote:
This is a little clumsy
Seems to me this applies to any attempt at going beyond the built-in sort options.

The fundamental problem is that sorting by Thought Name or Type is based on a text field and using a numeric prefix in the name is a clumsy workaround for sorting numerically. It would be less clumsy and more intuitive if there was a numeric field that could be used for sorting. The number could even be (optionally) displayed next to the thought. Also, it would be nice to have an editable date/time field so that thoughts could be sorted by a date other than Date Created/Modified/Activated.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software