mkowske
Hello,

Am partway into my trial period and am loving the software (mostly). The concept is great and I would love to purchase it but there are some issues I'm having in linux that make it significantly less attractive... wondering if they are just not supported on linux or if I am having issues specific to me:

1) Drag and drop doesn't work -- I am using Nautilus as my file manager on Ubuntu 14.04.

2) Pasting rich text into the notes field from another application (Thunderbird, Firefox, etc) produces gibberish. I have to turn on the option to paste everything as plain text which loses a lot of useful formatting.

3) No option to "hide" the program off to the side like it does on Windows. No transparent mode.

4) No email integration. I've gathered that even if I did get drag and drop to work I still wouldn't be able to drag and drop a Thunderbird email.

5) Specifying programs to open an external file aren't remembered. This one seems more like a bug probably... e.g. I open .eml file from TheBrain, it asks for the program, I enter 'thunderbird', works great but I have to enter 'thunderbird' again next time I do this.

6) Trying to find a text expander that works .. AutoKey is what I have used in the past but when it is triggered in TheBrain it does some REALLY weird stuff. The text gets expanded to something unreadable and my keybaord keys no longer funciton how they are supposed to like they got remapped. I have to restart TheBrain to fix it.

Anyone have fixes and/or knowledge of whether these things will be developed? I am worried of paying so much for a software that is on a neglected platform. I would hate to move so much of my files/organization/life into TheBrain only to have the linux version discontinued at some future date.. thanks for any feedback.
pthompson
mkowske wrote:

1) Drag and drop doesn't work -- I am using Nautilus as my file manager on Ubuntu 14.04.

I am not familiar with this file manager. Is this a default file manager in Ubuntu? If not, does the default work for you? Dragging and dropping relies on Java so you may also want to make sure you are using the latest.

mkowske wrote:

2) Pasting rich text into the notes field from another application (Thunderbird, Firefox, etc) produces gibberish. I have to turn on the option to paste everything as plain text which loses a lot of useful formatting.

Have you tried the built-in Paste Special option in the Notes section?

mkowske wrote:

3) No option to "hide" the program off to the side like it does on Windows. No transparent mode.

Transparent Mode should exist as far as I know: View > Transparent Mode. The option to auto-hide is a Windows only feature.

mkowske wrote:

4) No email integration. I've gathered that even if I did get drag and drop to work I still wouldn't be able to drag and drop a Thunderbird email.

Dragging and dropping of email only works with Outlook on Windows. You may be able to drag an email to your desktop first and then into TheBrain on Linux.

mkowske wrote:

5) Specifying programs to open an external file aren't remembered. This one seems more like a bug probably... e.g. I open .eml file from TheBrain, it asks for the program, I enter 'thunderbird', works great but I have to enter 'thunderbird' again next time I do this.

This is simply how opening attachments works on Linux.

mkowske wrote:

6) Trying to find a text expander that works .. AutoKey is what I have used in the past but when it is triggered in TheBrain it does some REALLY weird stuff. The text gets expanded to something unreadable and my keybaord keys no longer funciton how they are supposed to like they got remapped. I have to restart TheBrain to fix it.

I am not sure what you are referring to here. Is this some 3rd party app that you're trying to get working with TheBrain?
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mkowske
Hello and thanks for the replies.

1) Drag and drop: I use the default file manager with Ubuntu (which is called Nautilius). Drag and drop doesn't work. I did verify that I have the most recent update of Java from Oracle (Version 8 Update 25) and this is the version TheBrain is using.

2) I did try all options of the Paste Special.. they all produce output like the below. Only plain text pasting works:

Screenshot from 2014-11-27 11:44:02.png 

3) I don't see transparent mode on the menu?

Screenshot - 11272014 - 11:45:37 AM.png 

4) That's too bad... guess I'll see if I can live with a workaround.

5) I don't think that is the case -- I use many programs in linux that remember my choice of external applications. (e.g. Firefox remembers how to open a downloaded file - I only have to tell it once.)

6) AutoKey is a popular text expander software for linux. It captures your keyboard input and expands specified phrases. Works great everywhere I use it except in TheBrain.
mkowske
One more to add.. sync'ing with Google Calendar isn't working. I enter my login and password and the dialog just disappears. Nothing from Google gets sync'd and nothing from TheBrain goes the other way either.
pthompson
mkowske wrote:
1) Drag and drop: I use the default file manager with Ubuntu (which is called Nautilius). Drag and drop doesn't work. I did verify that I have the most recent update of Java from Oracle (Version 8 Update 25) and this is the version TheBrain is using.

Strange. I haven't seen any other reports of this not working so I will need to try and replicate this on my end and let our engineers know if it is an issue.

mkowske wrote:
2) I did try all options of the Paste Special.. they all produce output like the below. Only plain text pasting works:

Again, I will have to test this on our end and report it if it is indeed an issue.

mkowske wrote:
3) I don't see transparent mode on the menu?

I don't have a machine immediately available for Ubuntu testing (I will have to set one up), but it may simply be that this feature is not available on Linux.

mkowske wrote:
5) I don't think that is the case -- I use many programs in linux that remember my choice of external applications. (e.g. Firefox remembers how to open a downloaded file - I only have to tell it once.)

I will go ahead and add this to my list of items to test for Ubuntu.

mkowske wrote:
One more to add.. sync'ing with Google Calendar isn't working. I enter my login and password and the dialog just disappears. Nothing from Google gets sync'd and nothing from TheBrain goes the other way either.

This is a known issue our engineers area aware of and is occurring due to some changes Google has made to their Calendar API. I don't have any ETA on a fix for this at the moment.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mkowske
Well although all the above issues still effect me I am encouraged by the speedy support attention given to this thread. Thanks for looking into it... I'm hoping you'll know more before my trial period is up (21 days). In the mean time I'll continue to explore --
mkowske
I did find a semi-solution to #5 (remembering external applications) from this forum thread:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=5437416&trail=#2

You can set up default applications which should do the trick, but it makes sense to me that the application should be able to remember your choice at the prompt and set this file up for you.
mkowske
Hi Patrick,

Is there an update on the issues you needed to look into or is there a more appropriate place where I can track progress?

Another one I found: no ability to import bookmarks?
pthompson
I don't have any results  yet. I'm just now finishing up putting a test machine with Ubuntu together so should have some results early next week.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mkowske
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any update on these issues? My trial period is expired tomorrow and would like to know the likelihood of fixes in the near future. Thanks!
pthompson
I haven't been able to replicate any issues. Can you please replicate the issues you are experiencing on your end and send us an output.log file. 

You will find your output.log file in your installation folder, the same folder which contains the file TheBrain.jar. You can use the locate command from the command line to find the output.log file, below I have listed the command.

Code:
 locate output.log

Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mkowske
I'm not sure how much output.log is going to help. It hasn't been updated since Nov 19th it looks like. I can reproduce my issues but nothing changes in the output.log.  The two most concerning:

1) No drag and drop

2) No rich text copy & paste

Could you share your testing platform config? I would be curious to know what version of Ubuntu & Java you are running if you were able to successfully drag and drop into The Brain and do a rich text paste into the notes window.
mkowske
I have been doing some investigating and have some more information for you. I thought this might be a mismatch of character encoding between the source (Firefox) and the JVM, so I played with forcing the JVM to use a particular encoding with -Dfile.encoding option. This didn't seem to fix anything, but I did notice the following output to the console when I pasted the text into a notes window:

208104 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN com.thebrain.personal.h.u - Not found: text/html

Also this is output several times during startup:

967 [main] ERROR com.thebrain.personal.view.bi - Failed to write US_ASCII version of pblang_ja.utf-8.properties - run as administrator to correctly setup this file.
1404 [main] ERROR com.thebrain.personal.view.bi - Failed to write US_ASCII version of pblang_ja.utf-8.properties - run as administrator to correctly setup this file.
1866 [main] ERROR com.thebrain.personal.view.bi - Failed to write US_ASCII version of pblang_ja.utf-8.properties - run as administrator to correctly setup this file.

Thinking this could be a permissions issue I tried opening my brain as root.  I don't know if the "Failed to write" messages were still there or not, but the "Not found: text/html" still appeared as soon as I tried to paste into the notes window and the text was still gibberish, so I think that is clue to focus on. Any insight you might have? Thanks --
pthompson
It's very strange that you are encountering these issue. Are you sure you are just running a basic Ubuntu installation? Not a modified or altered version? I've tried everything on a stock Ubuntu installation and have found none of the issues you are mentioning.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mkowske
It is a standard installation of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as far as I know... a System76 laptop.

I have done customizations over the last couple of years like fonts and such but nothing that I would expect to cause issues like this.

Regardless, the message from the console about text/html not found surely can help us in figuring this out? It has a class name and everything to look at.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software