pderwael

Hello Brainers...

I have just released a site brain about IT Governance.
Currently, it has the following frameworks: CobiT, ISO17799 and ISF's SoGP, plus the xrefs between CobiT and ISO.
I'm currently in the process of documenting the xrefs between ISO and SoGP.

Eventually, I might also add ITIL to the brain, if I get some more free time!

Have a look at http://www.webandco.be/IT_Gov

I'm not exactly happy about the layout of the "Transversal security topics", but I have no clue about how to improve this, without writing html, which is totally above my competences

Any comment is more than welcome, but ... caution: work in prorgress ahead

Patrick Derwael
pderwael@webandco.be

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Webbrain: http://www.webandco.be/it-governance/
sbmack
Peter,

Nice job with classifying all the project types.  But you are right, the "Transversal security topics" is pretty unruly.  It actually hung up my browser.

An obvious first step would be to add another layer in the tree.  Which could be a decomposition of Transversal into more than one node and an allocation of lowest level nodes across the several augment nodes.  Or a clustering of the lowest level into subtypes that sit under Transversal.  Or perhaps a combination of the two.

It is perfectly legitimate to use "artificial" clustering to simplify model design, even if they do not map to the real ontology.

Steve

pderwael

Steve

Thank you for your comment.
I have considered introducing adding another layer, but there are a number of reasons for which I'm somewhat reluctant to this option:

I could split the topics alphabetically in 4 blocs of 19but I would loose the immediate visibility on all topics which I have in PB.
Alternatively, I could add another conceptual layer, but this means introducing new transversal concepts, which do not exist in the framework, to which I want to stick as much as possible.
As above, visibility would also be impacted...

There is no miracle...

I believe I have to make up my mind and decide whether the final support for this brain is PB or the web...

As I said: "WIP ahead !!"

Patrick Derwael

btw, my name is Patrick, not Peter

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
jostber
Maybe you can have these main categories under Transversal Security Topics to organize it, and also retain the ability to get a view of all categories?

ALL TRANSVERSAL(all categories children under this),
Business Process
Application
Technical and Hardware
Information Security

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

pderwael
Jostein,

I like the idea of having 2 levels (all transversal + some categories).

But I definitely do not want to create an additional relationship level (between "all transversal" and topics).
I think this would induce relationships that might not be correct and/or complete.

As an example, the topic "intrusion detection". An IDS is a hardware device (category hardware), but its implementation and management should fall under categories "security management" and "technical process"...

I believe that adding such categories would make the model more complex than needed.

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Darkstar

In similar situations, I usually end up creating parallel structures. You can organize your infomation in multiple ways using the same thoughts, after all.

For instance, you can have your "Transversal Security Topics". I'd suggest renaming it "Security Topics, All". Then you create a parent thought of it named "Security Topics". Now, you can create your PARALLEL organization structure. For instance, by creaing the child topic, "Security Topics, by Categories" (under "Security Topics").  Now, under "Security Topics, by Categories" you could create the children thoughts "Business Process", "Application", "Technical and Hardware", "Information Security". Under those, you can then link to your appropriate "Transversal Security Topics".

By using parallel structures, you can have your "All listing" (which I previously called "Security Topics, All") and your different organizations of related information. And that is what you seem to be after with your Transversal tree/section.

BTW, I'd have made the Transversal Security Topics into parent thoughts, rather then using them as jumps. But that's just how I organize information. Parents of thoughts don't have to be of the same flavor/type. Indeed, that is what gives Personal Brain so much of its power in organizing information.

-Darkstar
pderwael
Darkstar,

I believe I will also have to create parallel structures, as suggested.
The only thing is that, as already expressed to jebster, I do not want to induce relationships that do not necessarily exist, I will have to choose the categories names very cautiously...

It is also for the very same reason I'm using jumps instead of parents. I feel it more appropriate to use the verb "is linked to" rather dan "depends from".

To be continued...
PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
pderwael
Just uploaded an update...

Browsing the topics by categories is better than browsing them all.
I'm not too happy - yet - with the categories definitions, but at least the browser is no longer hanging!

Any comment, welcome!
PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Darkstar
Depends on how you think.

I know when I first started using PB, I'd see any Parent-Child relationship as "Parent Owns Child" or "Parent Has Child" and Jump Thoughts as "loosely associated" or "loosely linked". After several years of PB use though, I realized that the only difference between my common Jump Thoughts being Parent Thoughts was the fact that I liked those common jump thoughts "called out" to the side rather then riding around in the parent cloud.

That's the power of PB--- the context of any information is purely assigned by you, the creator when you make the relationship links, and by the viewer's point of view and experience when they view that set of links. Arrange things as you like--- as long as you are consistant, other people will be eventually get it.
-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software