Harlan

Do not update to Java 6 update 22. Updating to this version of Java causes PersonalBrain to fail to start on some computers. On others, it will cause Notes on Thoughts to fail to load.

As of now, the solution is to roll back to the previous release of Java - 1.6 udpate 21. This older, stable version of Java can be found at:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/6u21/index.html

Make sure to uninstall update 22 prior to installing update 21.

At this point, the errors look like they are due to problems introduced by the changes in Java 6 update 22. We will post more information as we learn more.

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
PersonalBrain 6.0.5.1 is up now and fixes this problem and works properly with Java 6 update 22.
Regards,
-Harlan
veit
Actually, it seems worse than that for PB 5 users. I was surprised to see my notes missing after upgrading Java today...came here to check if my suspicion of a correlation was right...it was.

Then uninstalled J22 and reinstalled J21....just to find that any thought that had notes before that I had opened while running J22 is GONE! Deleted.

Luckily I run a backup of my brain every 4 hours...but still, now trolling through those backups and finding the notes that were erased is a major pain.

So yes, a warning to the user base via email would have been very much warranted....and in fact, I already pity those that will not have backups of their brains and have their notes wiped out after they upgraded Java in the coming days.
veit
Argh, it's actually not so easy to restore those notes from backup (because I create my backups while running pb, seems like they are quite corrupt as well)...does anyone have an idea how to find the notes for a certain thought in all those files?

I ran a report on my brain to show the last modified thoughts (10 or so)...and now I see that I can open the .clb files from /brain_db_backup ... but finding the right ones is rather tricky since they don't seem to correlate to the internal IDs of the thoughts.

Does anyone know how to do this?

ric
Is there some reason that PB5 can't be patched to work with the latest Java? Other than that not patching it spurs users to spend money on a PB upgrade... or forgo updating Java, which presents other problems.
Moe
PB 5.5.2.5 works with the latest version of Java. Please download and install PB 5.5.2.5 from the following link.

Thanks,
Moe
grahamrhind

I am using PB 5.5.2.5 and have just installed it on a Windows 7 machine to find that I am having exactly this issue.  I can't find my way around the PC enough yet to know which version of Java is installed.  Is there still an issue (as you suggest that the problem is resolved)? 

Thanks

zenrain
To find out what version of Java you are running, choose Help > About PersonalBrain [Free\Core\Pro] Edition in PB. It will be listed under the Version line for PersonalBrain, and start with J-.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
V2Belleville
was using PB 5.5.2.4 when updated to Java 6.22

Notes were not showing

installing
PB 5.5.2.5 brought them back. only notes created under PB 5.5.2.4 and Java 6.22 are lost
PB 6.0.7.9 on Windows 7, J-1.6.0_30
RobinHood
A good 70% of my notes dropped off. Was last using version 5.5 but found that updating to 6.0.5 did not restore my notes.

Has there been any news on how to recover notes data from older backup versions or other recovery plans?

Bringing awesome back. Fight mediocrity and homogeneity!
Bro
I have upgraded to 5.5.2.5 and regressed to Java 6 u21.  However it appears all my notes have been deleted.  It also looks like I cannot recover the information from my Brainzips.  It just gets stuck at "Restoring the table entries" stage.

And now I can't get into the original file either. Looks like I have lost everything.  THis is the second major loss all my information in PB. 

I have used PB for about 10 years, but  I will have to abandon it as it is just not robust enough to store important info.

zenrain
@RobinHood, no, according to the mods there is no way to get the notes back, you will have to restore a brainzip from the java upgrade.

@Bro you may want to contact support@thebrain.com and ask them to look at the brainzip you are having issues with. They may be able to help with that.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Shiiko
Zenrain, 

I see by your signature that you are still at 0_21.  I've frozen myself on 0_21, afraid of updating java and taking a step over a precipice. I'm probably being overly cautious but I was really shaken by how these PB users lost their information.  I understand that this was a Java caused error that impacted PB.  What are your thoughts on upgrading Java?

Win7/6.0.5.9/0_21
zenrain
Ooop, I just haven't updated my signature in a while (doing that right now) .

I am running _22 at this point. However, my Java settings weren't set to automatically update the latest version so I saw there was an issue with PB and Java 22 in the forums prior to upgrading my version of Java.

After the 6.x version of PB was available that resolved the notes issue with that Java upgrade I made a brainzip, stopped automatic syncing, upgraded java and installed the latest version. Then I opened my brain and as far as I can tell, haven't lost any note information. I re-enabled automatic syncing to WebBrain a few days later, and everything was caught up.

I have Java set to check for updates automatically, but to notify before downloading. Generally I wait a few weeks prior to actually installing the update because PB is so reliant on it, and I'd rather wait and see then to blindly install.

I would also add that this issue prompted me to add a new calendar reminder to create backups again. I used to be fastidious about making backups when using DropBox, but got a little lax again after the 6.x synchronization became stable. I work for a software company and am constantly surprised that people have databases critical to their every day workflow but don't back it up. Even with stable databases, 3rd party upgrades (including OS upgrades) or hardware issues can corrupt data irrevocably, and backups are the only true line of defense against this. Imagine my chagrin when I realized I wasn't applying this to myself. D'oh!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
cd

this is it. sorry. i've had it. just lost enough thoughts in my pb due to this thread's mess that it'll cost me about a month of work and don't ask about financial loss.

i know i could have checked the forums/ kept updated with pb dev/ ... BUT ... really?

no way, a software that costs that money just cost me too much... and i've been a +10year user. i just can't take this "stuff" any more. sorry.

--
PB 5.5.2
Java 1.6.0_14 w/ -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dawt.toolkit=sun.awt.motif.MToolkit
Crunchbang Linux on an NC10

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software