jester1966de
Just lost a brain - and it seems unrecoverable.

I had created a brain in

h:\testzone

called Renaissance. Filled it with thoughts and data.

Then created another one in h:\projekte\sebastianus

called Sebastianus.

Also filled it with thoughts and data.

Then created a third one, in h:\testzone

and called it Test. Just created thoughts numbered 1-10. No data.

When I wanted to switch back to Renaissance, the message appeared, no such brain, delete button?

The main file and folder structure Renaissance_brain seems to be intact, however, the file renaissance.brain is missing. Also started a data recovering programm but it does not appear there either.

???

Any chance to recover my work? The built-in function doesn't work because I cannot open the brain in the first place. BTW, never got a message as stated in the "Vaporized"-Thread.

Any help would be highly appreciated, I started to love that programm and now it does not seem to be reliable...

(Windows XP, SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, MSI Star-Force, GeForce 6600 - any other specs needed?)

Jester

jester1966de
Just managed to retrieve my brain, er, my access to the Renaissance brain I had created earlier.
I just created a new brain at the same location with an identical name - and my data and information showed up again.

Therefore my question: Is there any built in backup solution? When I export a brain, it seems that I can't import it into PB from these types - wouldn't this be a feature?

Jester

zenrain
File > Create Brainzip will create a compacted backup file of your brain. You can restore from a Brianzip by either double-clicking on the file, or opening it with PersonalBrain.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jester1966de
Ugh, didn't see this last night... thank you!
Harlan
It sounds like your .brain file got deleted somehow. The .brain file is not strictly necessary and just provides backup data. The _brain folder is where the real info is stored. This is why you were able to recover by creating a brain with the same name.
Regards,
-Harlan
jester1966de
Harlan, thanks for answer and information. The really weird thing was that the .brain file just disappeared into nothing. Even a file recovery programm I ran over the disk did find anything but a .brain file!

Jester

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software