bot__bot
(I posted this as a comment to this thread

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/slow-note-editing-any-tips-9659829?highlight=slow+note+editing&pid=1303687840

but I see the forum category will be closing soon and we're encouraged to post here, so i'm cross-posting it here. Thanks)

─── 

Just wanted to bump the post because i'm experiencing the problem as well. 

There's a noticeable lag when inputting text in the editor. 

It's not extreme (not like e.g. having to wait a full second for a letter you typed to appear in the note editor), but it's slow enough (maybe 0.2 second or so) to affect user experience.

My desktop resolution is also 1920 * 1080 for what it's worth. Windows 10. Dell XPS 15 latest model. IT worker so it's not an issue of virus/trojan affecting overall system performance, etc.

I can provide a screen recording if it's desired.

One thing that may perhaps provide a clue: the same lag exists if I load a webpage in the note editor area (dynalist.com, where I store some outlines) and try to edit text there. There is no lag if I input text into the Dynalist webapp in Chrome or Microsoft Edge, but there is a lag if I do so in TB's editor area.
mcaton
Bot,

Thanks for posting here.  Yes, a video may be helpful for us to review.  Also, are you scaling your resolution by any chance?  I believe this was mentioned in the last post and I'm curious if there's a connection.

Thank you,
Matt
rht
I'm having the same frustration with adding notes...the slight but noticeable delay. I'm running a Yoga 900 pc - i7 with 64g memory. windows 10 Pro v 1803. I'm using the notes area to take notes on tech books and sites. there are usually urls in there ( am lazy do a lot of cut/paste) but no big pictures or anything like that...Its working well except for the delay. I've tried taking the notes with a word doc, or onenote but they each have their own downfalls for me...any idea what would help?? I dont currently have services, so its not syncing or anything
Any ideas??
Randy Click image for larger version - Name: braincapture.png, Views: 51, Size: 72.10 KB
Randy Thurber
mcaton
Randy,

Thanks for posting. We're looking into a few related issues with sluggish notes.  Do you have spellcheck in the notes turned on?  It's an option in the Notes Toolbar.  Can you try turning it off and see if there is any difference?  Also, how large (word count) do your notes tend to be?

Thank you,
Matt
rht
ah i was looking for that setting, thanks, I'll turn that off and see if it makes a difference...i wondered about that too, since a lot of my notes are obscure and not recognized by the dictionary...i'll play with that today and let you know.
-  as for the size of the notes..i have many that are over 2000 words and at least one over 7,000.....i don't have a lot of big pictures, but sometime headers in ebooks come across as an attachment rather than text.- do
another thought i had was could it depend on the notes theme?? I"m using a customized codex theme...any chance that could chew up time?

sorry for the delay in my response, i forgot how to get back to this issue. 
Randy
Randy Thurber
mcaton
Quick update. We have a new 9.1.8 build now available from https://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/thebrain9-1 .  This new build has some fantastic updates for application speed on Windows. 

Not to be left out, some earlier enhancements to 9.1 also improved performance on macOS.

Thanks,
Matt
rht
thanks Matt.. I downloaded 9.1.8 today...and in general it appears much snappier.... with the little bit of playing i've done so far, when i turn the spell check off, on my largest note it seems great, no lag ...when I turn on spell check I still have a lag...if its any help, it seems to lag when i'm starting a word - or maybe even resuming a word - but when i'm starting to type after stopping....then it blasts all the letters in at once...like its storing them up and batching all at once...that supports the theory of spellchecking ...but it seems kinda like if i type a long sentence of multiple words....I can sometimes see it pause in middle of one of the words, like 1/2 thru the third word or something...so the 'batching' isn't necessarily tied to word boundaries?? any chance its a buffer size or something in there??
I have the 9.0 backed up...i can probably bounce back to that if you want me to try these same scenarios on it....but for now for me, it looks like turning off the spellcheck really helped...I'll watch your site for any new beta updates and try them as they come out too. 
thanks!
Randy Thurber

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software