hherbzilla
I was excited to hear about v7 so, after reading about it, quickly installed the beta. I have been unable to open my main brain. I haven't checked my stats lately but I probably have 7000-8000 thoughts and a file that's about 7GB in size. Should it take an extraordinarily long time to initially open a v6 brain?

This is on Windows XP and I'm using v 7.0.2.8 

Details:
  • When I first started v7, it automatically tried to open my main brain. However, it eventually looked like the app was not responding. It was then that I panicked because I forgot to first make a backup.
  • I forced the app to end and, fortunately, I was still able to open the file in v6 and created a brainzip.
  • I've been able to open smaller files without issue.
  • This morning, I tried opening from the brainzip and it plugged away for hours. I saw progress bars and messages about tables updating, etc.
  • It finally looked like it was done with the conversion and was trying to open the file. "Opening...." with the animation. However, that's where I've been the rest of the day.
  • Currently, all I see is the title bar of The Brain... but not the rest of the application window. The Windows Task Manager indicates that it's Running... but I'm not so sure.
I'm going to force the app to quit, again, and try another time. FYI - Clicking the close button [ X ] isn't working with this particular situation so I have to use the Task Manager to kill it.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions! Thanks.

Herb
hherbzilla
Update #2 - Well, it did open... but now it's frozen again. When I switch back, I'm just getting the title bar again.

This is on my work laptop: IBM Control Pane for Java, v6.

Update: It's working now.

I killed the app using Task Manager, saw that there was another update, installed the update, and then attempted to reopen the file. This time it opened!

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Herb
hherbzilla
Win XP ver2002 SP3
3GB RAM
Almost 200GB free space
Herb
pthompson
Herb,

What version of Java is running on your machine? To check, navigate to Control Panel and type Java into the search field. Open the Java Control Panel and select About. 

Also, are you storing your Brains on a network drive or 3rd party sync/backup service, i.e. DropBox? Any additional information you can share will help us to troubleshoot this issue. Thank you.

Regards,
hherbzilla
I previously had the brain syncing via Dropbox but found it was slowing things down so stopped doing that. Could there be something "residual"?

I rebooted the computer to see if that would help. The Brain started up on its own and froze like the attached picture shows. It is now unresponsive and just the title bar is visible. I'm unable to exit / close the app unless I use the Task Manager and End Task.
Herb
hherbzilla
Back to using v6 for now

Here's more info, fwiw
Herb
hherbzilla
I rebuilt the database in v6 and created another brainzip, this time without attachments. It seemed to open OK in v7 but then froze up again.
Herb
hherbzilla
I guess I've run out of ideas at this point. I tried a backup with no attachments, and I tried another with attachments and search index. Same scenario as before: Files get restored from Continuous Backup Service, Brain loads (sometimes partially, sometimes fully), and then the app locks up. Only way to close it is using Task Manager.

Look forward to hearing other suggestions!

Herb
zoner
Looks to be the case that using DropBox with PB does not end with the best results. Doing some quick searches on this forum, just for the word DropBox brings back a bunch of posts where the support team has clarified that it can result in corrupted brain files. That aside, capture/post a copy of your output.log file (on XP look in "Program Files/TheBrain" folder) since it might reveal what is the cause. Capture the log file after you have closed PB from your task manager (so that it can log any exceptions) thrown when it goes into the hanging state.
hherbzilla
Thanks. I am sending my output file to support to see if this can get resolved.
Herb
hherbzilla
Update: After submitting my output.log, I saw that there was a newer beta available. I installed and now things seem to be working! Will use it extensively today and see how it goes.
Herb
pthompson
Herb,

Using DropBox to sync your Brains is definitely not a recommended practice. A simple file-based sync does not work properly for many reasons. For instance, many large files are modified in small but interdependent ways when the database is changed. Thus, a file-based sync is not only very inefficient, but also prone to corrupting the database. (When for example, the same database file is modified in two different places at once, a file-based sync will have no choice but to ignore one of those changes - likely corrupting the entire database!)
Additionally, there are factors beyond just the visible data that need to be kept in sync, such as index information, internal IDs that are different across machines, and so on.

This is why DropBox and other file-based sync services will work, but cannot be relied on since they tend to lead to corruption as soon as: 1) Changes are made to the data from more than one place at a time or 2) A sync is only partially completed before changes are made at the receiving computer. Worse yet, the database may only become partially corrupted so that you do not find out about the problem until weeks or months later when you cannot easily revert to a backup.

We recommend backing up your Brain on WebBrain.com. If WebBrain is not an option for you, a .brainzip backup is the next best thing. .BrainZip backups, however, need to be created manually.

In your initial screenshot, it looks as though this is an issue that was similar to one recently resolved in our latest release of TheBrain 7.0.3.0, available HERE.

Regards,

Add a Website Forum to your website.