rustada
Can thought indexes split at comma, spaces for quick search.

Say there is thought Relation, John Doe, and I only remember to search for doe; it will still find it. Or even better I could put in acronyms like JD, and it will find john doe.
metta
The search in TheBrain should pick up any combination of letters preceded by a space.

However, I doubt that the search function is "smart" enough to interpret JD as John Doe since JD could stand for many things, including Jane Doe and JD Rockefeller. ;-)

(My solution on thought names that could be easily abbreviated is to include the abbreviation before the full thought name. This make it quick and easy to find thoughts with longer thought names.)

Also, in light of your question, I'm wondering:
> Have you tested any searches such as the one you described above (with commas and/or spaces) -- and is it working?
> If not, what kind of problem(s) have you been running into?
rustada
Sorry my example was misleading and bad. Quick search works as expected for thoughts. It was comma separated types that I have to start at the beginning for results to show.

EDIT:
I have a type that looks like ".vender, .equipment" equipment, without the period, works but brings up non-type thoughts that I want excluded by prefixing it with a period but .equpiment is not working notice the period that I use I intended for quickly finding types for shorthand. Maybe there is a better method.

My reason for acronyms is I work in tech and I am always buried in acronyms, a lot of double entry putting it in every thought.
metta
My understanding is TheBrain team does plan to make the search recognize special characters like periods. Apparently hasn't happened yet.

Understand completely about wanting to avoid unnecessary double entries.
mcaton
Version 10 does have a few new Search enhancements and the original "JD" search you mentioned should be working.

V10 Search Enhancements:
  • External attachments are included in search results
  • Search using automatic acronyms (ex. find "New York Stock Exchange" by typing "nyse")
  • Search for thoughts starting with punctuation
I'm not sure if I'm following your second example.  May be helpful if you could share a screenshot and the different search terms you are using.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Glad to know these new search options are available, Matt.

Thanks for providing this update.
rustada
mcaton wrote:
Version 10 does have a few new Search enhancements and the original "JD" search you mentioned should be working.

V10 Search Enhancements:
  • External attachments are included in search results
  • Search using automatic acronyms (ex. find "New York Stock Exchange" by typing "nyse")
  • Search for thoughts starting with punctuation
I'm not sure if I'm following your second example.  May be helpful if you could share a screenshot and the different search terms you are using.

Thanks,
Matt
  I attached a screenshot to hopefully illustrate. I am still building the brain may reorganize these sub-types to tags which would create the logical separation. EG type: .vendor :tags lc,equipment,software...

Edit removed screenshot.

Also, thanks for your response, very helpful.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software