Support

We just noticed that the first release cannot open attachments properly... 4.0.2.7 should fix this, but it looks like it may not be as easy to make it work consistently as in Mac OS or Windows...

Please try it out and let us know if you have problems. (Please note what OS you are on, the version of PB, and the type of attachment.)

tcahill
suse 10.2 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP i686
java version "1.6.0"
PersonalBrain 4.0.2.6

On my system, PB is currently not stable enough to attempt to duplicate the problem. Prior to upgrading to jre 1.6, I was getting an error when trying to open attachments. It was something like "file not available".
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan
Tim, please give 4.0.2.7 a try and let us know what you find. You may get different results depending on if you are opening a URL versus a file.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan

Anyone have better luck launching attachments using 4.0.2.7?

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
We believe we have found a way to launch attachments more consistently. We are planning to incorporate this into 4.0.3.7 and we would like your help.

In order to launch attachments, PB needs to know what application you prefer to use for each file type. This list will eventually be user configurable, but until then, we need to supply a decent list of defaults.

Our starting list looks like this:

html,htm - firefox,opera,konqueror,epiphany,mozilla,netscape

txt,log - gedit

png,gif,jpg,jpeg - eog,firefox,opera,konqueror,epiphany,mozilla,netscape

pdf - evince,kpdf

Basically PB4 will lookup the extension from and then see which application is installed on your computer to handle it, proceeding in order from left to right. So, in the above list, txt and log files are opened in gedit.

What other file types are you using and with which apps? Note that we need to know the name of the app as it would be entered from the shell. Multiple apps can be setup for extensions and the first one found will be used. The open with command will allow the user to enter a specific application name.

Regards,
-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Here are some others:

xls,XLS,xlc - calc (Openeoffice.org), KSpread, Gunmeric
ppz,PPZ,ppt,PPT,pps,PPS - impress (Openeoffice.org), KPresenter
doc,DOC - writer (Openeoffice.org)
ogg - realplay, kaffeine, totem, noatun, kaboodle, audacity, banshee, easytag, mplayer, juk, xmms, gxine, bmp
odf, ODF - math Openeoffice.org)
odg, ODG - draw (Openeoffice.org)
odp, ODP - impress (Openeoffice.org)
ods, ODS - calc (Openeoffice.org)
odt, ODT - writer (Openeoffice.org)
pdf,PDF - AdobeReader, acroread, kpdf, kghostview, evince, xpdf, gv, krita_pdf
ps, PS - kghostview, karbon, evince, gv
html,htm - quanta
tcahill
ver. 4.0.3.6
tested Open and open with for the following attachments
odt (OpenOffice.org text document) using oowriter
png using gimp
kno using knowit
xls using oocalc
Everything seems fine!
Harlan
Thanks for the great list Tim! Very helpful.

We'll put this list into the next release.
Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
Another for me would be:

.svgz (scalable vector graphics) this is for the app GOURNAL (tablet ink notes; http://www.adebenham.com/gournal/)

The rest are the same as with Tim.

Jim

Jim Hitch
English Language Services Limited
http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk
Harlan

OK. This has been added. Thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Since I've upgraded to OpenOffice 2.2, I notice changes in how the application launches. The initial 2.0 version was part of the OpenSuse 10.2 distribution (as an rpm), but the upgrade was downloaded from the OO.o site as a gzip file. Installed both while root. (Note that both versions are still installed and working)

The distribution install uses individual script files to launch components (i.e., oowriter, oocalc, etc). These files export arguments ( '-writer') to /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/ooqstart.

The 2.2 version uses one script: openoffice.org2.2 for all components, passing arguments like -writer. I can launch a file and OpenOffice.org 2.2 from the command line, using a command such as:

openoffice.org2.2 -writer "/home/tcahill/Documents/zen enlightenment.odt"

The quotation marks around the file name are necessary, otherwhile the program complains that it can't find the individual files /home/tcahill/Documents/zen or /home/tcahill/Documents/enlightenment.odt and quits.

I am trying to find (without success yet) an "open with" command that will launch an odt file attachment to OO.o 2.2 from PB4. "Open with" oowriter still works to launch the attachment in OO.o 2.0.

I've got to go plant some shrubs while the rain has stopped for a bit. I'll try to carry on with this later.

### Shrubs planted ###

success "open with" using
/etc/openoffice.org2.2/program/soffice
(with no placeholder for passing arguments )
tcahill
Problem launching attachments with spaces in the names.

If I try to open "political compass 07.html", Firefox begins to load the file, then complains: "Firefox can't find the file at /home/tcahill/Documents/political."

This also seems to be part of the problem with the OpenOffice.org issue above.

### Correction ###
Nope. Using the "open with" command above, OpenOffice documents with spaces in file name are launching correctly.
Jim
Harlan

Got another to add:

*.xoj this is for Xournal; http://xournal.sourceforge.net/

This seems a much more powerful type of note-taker than Gournal, similar to Windows Journal.

I've also found a Jarnal.

Xournal, Gournal, Journal, Jarnal... there's a pattern here somewhere...

Jim

Jim Hitch
Harlan

Thanks Jim. This has been added.

Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
Going to also need the other open office formats:

databaseooffice -base .odb
spreadsheetooffice -calc.ods
presenter
ooffice -impress
.odp

Also noticed that mp3's don't work - .mp3

Won't it be easier than continually compiling a seemingly never-ending list, not simply having a file associations tab alongside the others in Options>Preferences?

That would also fix the Open Thought Folder issue -

See http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1848129

Jim

Jim Hitch

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software