ChrisCase
Although most people seem to be able to access the SiteBrain I have on the web ( http://floatingworldweb.com ), several people are reporting a License Error message for everything they click on.  I  have advised clearing caches, rebooting, etc., but they continue to get that message, whether using Firefox or IE.  I normally use Firefox, but I find that if I use IE, I have the same problem --"License Error" for everything.  This shouldn't happen,  as the correct license number is definitely in the settings.js file on the server..

Any idea why this is happening?

Quote
Harlan
Chris,

Please update your export using the latest version. SiteBrain no longer requires a license. Change your settings.js file so the last line reads:

licenseKey = "";

You no longer need the license key and if you include it, SiteBrain may get confused.

Regards,
-Harlan
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
ChrisCase
I've done this, but I continue to get a License Error message with IE, while Firefox works OK.
...
Quote
ChrisCase
I figured out the User Name issue and upgraded PB4 Pro.  I then deleted the SiteBrain both on my machine and on my webserver and re-exported the Brain without making any changes to CSS files, and making sure that no license number was entered in the settings.js file.  I uploaded the Sitebrain to my server, and found that not only IE but also Firefox got "license error" messages on every click. 

I tried reinserting the license key in the settings.js file, and now Firefox works again, but IE still gets the license error message.

This is really inconvenient, since I am producing a music event in about a week, and have sent to hundreds of people the link to the relevant page in the Sitebrain,  and now nobody who is using IE can see it. I really need to find quickly the solution to this problem...



Quote
ChrisCase
Needless to say, I have of course tried emptying the cache, rebooting, etc.

One thing that might be relevant.  I am not very familiar with IE, but I cannot find any menu item for emptying a cache, such as Firefox provides in the Tools menu, and IE help has nothing on the subject.

Quote
ChrisCase
OK, I found in IE how to delete temporary internet files, which I gather is the same as emptying the cache,  but it doesn;t make any difference.  "License Error" every time...
Quote
Harlan

Hi Chris,

SiteBrains generated with version 4.0.4.4 do not require a license key and the license key error can only happen if you set an invalid key. By using an empty key, you should never get a license key error.

It sounds like you are dealing with a caching problem. The problem could be in IE - whose cache is notoriously difficult to clear - or even on your Web server.

I would recommend that you change the settings back (remove the license key) and then:

1. To check if the problem is your IE cache, try accessing it from a separate computer which has never accessed the page before. If it works, then you have local cache problem. If not, then it might be your Web server or maybe a proxy server on your local network.

2. To check if the problem is a Web server cache or proxy server cache, republish your Brain at a different location and try accessing it. If the problem goes away but it did not in step 1, then it's either a proxy cache or a Web server cache. You will need to consult your Web server's documentation for information on how to clear its cache.

 

Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
ChrisCase
I tried three different computers, and all got "license error" if the license key was not present, but worked if it was, but only in Firefox.

I changed the brain name and made a new Sitebrain, which works on my machine.  I uploaded it to the server, and although there is no license error message, the plex does not display at all ( http://floatingworldweb.com/FWW/ )  The working version, with the license key, is http://floatingworldweb.com/plex/ .

I contacted my webhost, and learned that there is no cache at that end...  I have used all the methods I can find for emptying caches:  CTRL-F5 , CTRL-Refresh , and manually deleting cookies and cache in Firefox and Temporary Internet Files in IE.

If I could get the new sitebrain to display its plex, perhaps all would be well...but I can't see how to do that, when the files all seem the same as on my machine.  What is the file that determines whether the plex displays or not?

Quote
ChrisCase
OK, I scrapped everything and started again. Finally the new export worked properly, so I uploaded it, then changed the folder name to the original, and now it more or less works.  There still are some thoughts which don't budge when clicked, but I've found this sometimes gets corrected when I update the site, so before asking you people to have a look at the brain, I'll take notes on which don't work, and if any persist will ask for a diagnosis.
Quote
Harlan

Thanks Chris. Glad you got it working.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software