rengel
If a link type is defined, its name is shown when a link is assigned this type.
But the 'Link' tab in Tools window doesn't show a label. (see pic)
And if a link label is shown, I can't tell if it's just the label of this specific link oder if it's the name of a link type. 

This behavior of links differs from the behavior of thoughts, where the type is shown when you mouseover a thought.

You might use different colors for simple link labels and link type names oder use a separator (i.e. ":") between labels and type names, i.e.:
  • label (label only)
  • label:type (label type combination)
  • :type (type only)
Reinhard TB 8.0.1.5 win8-64, J-1.7.0_x
pthompson
Reinhard,

A Link Type and a Link Label are not the same....

This is the exact same functionality as Thought Types and Thought Labels.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
rengel
Yes Patrick, I know...

... but by looking at the plex I can't tell them apart.
pthompson
I'm not understanding what you are saying/suggesting here then.

In your first pic, you show the link with the Link Type, test2, selected and show that there is no label for this link.....which is correct because it is a Link Type not a Link Label.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
rengel
Well, if I look at the 'inbound' link, I can't tell if it is just a link label or a link type.
With thoughts, a mouseover shows the type.

zenrain
A mouseover of a thought will display the thought type in the label if the thought has no label. If the thought does have a label, it will display that instead of the link type.
I think this is the same as how link types and labels behave.
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.188
rengel
@zenrain,

Not really.

If you mouseover a link with a label and a link type, the link type IS NOT shown.

With thoughts you have <name> - <label> - <type>.
But with labels you only have <label> - <type>.
pthompson
rengel wrote: @zenrain,

Not really.

If you mouseover a link with a label and a link type, the link type IS NOT shown.

With thoughts you have <name> - <label> - <type>.
But with labels you only have <label> - <type>.

Reinhard,

As you know, Links and Thoughts are not the same in the purpose that they serve in a Brain so comparing how a Thought Type/Thought Label and Link Type/Link Label are displayed is difficult to do since they are not the same tool in the Brain. A Link does not have a name but can have a Link Type or Link Label assigned to it.

Thought Type and/or Thought Label text is displayed below the Thought name.

Aside from this, Link Types and Link Labels function and operate just like a Thought Type and Thought Label would on a Thought.

A Thought Label will override Thought Type text and the Thought Label will be displayed instead if one is assigned. This functionality is the same as Link Types and Link Labels. If you have a Link Type, only the Link Type will show. If you add a Link Label it will override the Link Type text. 

If a Thought Type/Link Type is assigned, all other attributes of the type will still show on the Thought/Link. The only thing that will change this is if you insert a Label.

If you hover over a Thought or a Link with both a Thought Type and Thought Label or a Link Type and Link Label, the Thought or Link tab will display both in the appropriate fields.

Do you have any suggestions for how this should work instead?
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
rengel
Quote: If you hover over a Thought or a Link with both a Thought Type and Thought Label or a Link Type and Link Label, the Thought or Link tab will display both in the appropriate fields.

Do you have any suggestions for how this should work instead?

The behavior is not quite the same: If you hover over a thought 
with both a Thought Type and Thought Label the Thought Label pops up. That is not the case with links. 
I suggest to pop up Link Types as well if you hover over a link with a link type.

pthompson
rengel wrote:

The behavior is not quite the same: If you hover over a thought 
with both a Thought Type and Thought Label the Thought Label pops up. That is not the case with links. 
I suggest to pop up Link Types as well if you hover over a link with a link type.

This is exactly what I described in my previous response.

pthompson wrote:

Thought Type and/or Thought Label text is displayed below the Thought name [when you hover over the Thought] 

Aside from this, Link Types and Link Labels function and operate just like a Thought Type and Thought Label would on a Thought.

I also mentioned that Thoughts ≠ Links and their functionality is not meant to be the same, but it sounds like you are suggestion they should be? So you're saying you want the Link Type or Link Label text to pop up outside of the Link instead of on the Link?
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
rengel
No, the link label text should stay on the link and never pop up. 
What I'm suggesting is, that the link type should pop up on hover, if the link has a label.
pthompson
I see. I'll submit this as a feature request.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software