Kriggel23
Please try:
  • Create Child/Parent/Jump
  • Enter a word which is already used by an existing thought, e.g. "test"
    -> a list of existing thoughts will be listed (>9.0.199)
  • Press once "Cursor down"
    -> the existing thought, e.g. "test of mine", is selected and displayed within the new thought name field
  • Now add something to this name, e.g. ", test", "version 2.0", or just "Hello, World!"
    -> in my case, the name field now contains the name of a not existing thought, e.g. "test of mine, version 2.0"
  • Press enter
My expectation is, that a new thought is created, e.g. "test of mine, version 2.0", and linked as child/parent/jump to the active thought.

BUT: the existing (!!) thought, being selected before, is linked to the active thought?! The extension entered before, here: ", version 2.0", has been discarded.

Kriggel23
Harlan
Thanks for reporting. Documented for fixing.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
9.0.201 is up now and fixes this.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
Well, yes and no ...

When I now press "Cursor down", the name field is cleared. It stays empty, whatever existing thought is marked within the list.
My intention is to select an existing's thought name, change it, and create/link a new thought with this new name.

Kriggel23
zenrain
Modifying the thought name from within the link dialog hasn't ever been possible. I think the functionality would end up confusing a lot of users and resulting in situations where the software isn't doing what they expect. The way it is now, it's clear. I'm either entering a new thought, or choosing an existing one.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Kriggel23
Just try the procedure I described on Jul 04 in TB8 (eight), and compare it to the current behavior of TB9 (nine).

Imagine: you enter a phrase, get a list of existing thoughts, and scroll down to check whether the thought you want to link already exists; well, it doesn't - so you have to re-enter the whole name again, because the name field has been cleared. What's that good for? [confused]
zenrain
Ahhh, I misunderstood, the use case clarified. Good point, thanks!
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mcaton
Thanks Christian,

I'm documenting this as a v9 feature request.

Matt
bmac
Harlan wrote: 9.0.201 is up now and fixes this.

hmm...when I ask 9.0.200 to check for updates, it says I am using the latest version.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
Harlan
The field being cleared is a bug. Not sure what happened there to cause that. 

To get the latest version make sure you are on the Alpha update channel in preferences under the system tab. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Field being cleared was a caused by changes made to enable searching of events. Fixed in upcoming .202 release.
Regards,
-Harlan
rustyedges
But this now makes TB9 completely unusable to me.  The overriding of touch behaviour made it difficult to use already, and now with this, I can't use the keyboard to link thoughts which is a complete showstopper.

Let me explain...I want to link a jump, so I press Ctrl+J (my keymap for jump) and then start typing, arrow to the thought I want that appears and press enter.  But this no longer links the thought, it creates a new thought using the same name.  I've tried everything and no way around this.  it requires using mouse/trackpad to double click, then click off, not only unintuitive but I don't want carpel tunnel
Harlan
rustyedges wrote: I can't use the keyboard to link thoughts...this no longer links the thought, it creates a new thought using the same name.

That's not what is supposed to happen. We will investigate.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
The problem of not linking to an existing thought when using the keyboard only happens on Windows. On macOS it works as intended. Will be fixed in the next release.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
This should be working properly again in Windows as of 9.0.204.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software