Jim
Am I right in saying that the Beta stage is almost done?

I'm aware of the discount for Beta folk, my concern is that PB4 Linux is still lacking much of the functionality (esp. drag & drop) of the other OS versions and yet is the same price.

Is PB4 Linux going to be made to the same spec, or will it always be a second cousin?

Jim

Jim Hitch
English Language Services Limited
http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk
spytech128
I would like to know this, as well; as I plan to use PB4 in all three operating systems.
Spytech128
Harlan
The private beta is almost done. The public beta will continue for at least another month. However, note that even after the software is officially released, development will still continue.

Our development priorities are driven by our customer base. So, if we get a lot of Linux users, we will do a lot of Linux specific development.

At this point given the dominance of Windows combined with our existing (version 3) customer base being exclusively Windows, that has be our priority. However, we do see a lot of potential in both the Linux and Mac communities and that is why we have chosen to dedicate a lot of effort toward what is likely to be a very small community to start with.

Another factor is the state of documentation, program interoperability standards (such as for drag and drop, cut & paste, program launching, etcetera), and Java itself on Linux are quite immature relatively speaking. This means that making things work on Linux takes a lot more effort since in many cases, we have to discover and invent what on Windows and even on the Mac are well known (and documented) techniques.

I know this may not be what the Linux community wants to hear, but hopefully everyone will understand and we can work with the community to improve these things.

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote:

Our development priorities are driven by our customer base. So, if we get a lot of Linux users, we will do a lot of Linux specific development. At this point given the dominance of Windows combined with our existing (version 3) customer base being exclusively Windows, that has be our priority. However, we do see a lot of potential in both the Linux and Mac communities and that is why we have chosen to dedicate a lot of effort toward what is likely to be a very small community to start with.

This seems like a very reasonable and cautious business strategy. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Who knows which platform will dominate over the next 10 years? Also, while the mass market is undeniably windows based, the market for brain-mapping software is probably somewhat more 'nix aware. Supporting alternative platforms hedges against risk.

QUOTE=Harlan]Another factor is the state of documentation, program interoperability standards (such as for drag and drop, cut & paste, program launching, etcetera), and Java itself on Linux are quite immature relatively speaking. This means that making things work on Linux takes a lot more effort since in many cases, we have to discover and invent what on Windows and even on the Mac are well known (and documented) techniques. I know this may not be what the Linux community wants to hear, but hopefully everyone will understand and we can work with the community to improve these things.

How can we help? Let us know here or elsewhere if there are things that we could assist in tracking down for you.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan

Your responses on this forum have already been very helpful in getting the opening of attachments sorted out... I searched everywhere online for this information and posted on what I consider to be one of the best tech answer forums out there (experts-exchange) with nothing to show for it. But we got answers here very quickly. Hopefully with the public beta we will be able to increase the number of people using and helping out with suggestions on the Linux platform.

Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
Fair enough, I understand where the focus should be lying and the, by definition, 'spread' of all the different distros etc.

I was being inarticulate in asking whether development of Linux PB4 will continue even after the application has been officially released, assuming that its functionality is not on par with the other OSs at that time. I'm assuming the answer is a yes.

And as Tim said, anything we can do...

Jim

Jim Hitch
English Language Services Limited
http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk
Harlan
Yes, development will continue.

Thanks both for all your help.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software