zeb Show full post »
gcoulthard
Very cool indeed. Thanks for the help! -- Glen
jostber
Some information on linking to Biblioscape from other applications is here:
http://support.biblioscape.com/node/111

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Darkstar

gcoulthard wrote:
Wish I had some more ideas for you, but all that I can add is that I also use PB for managing research PDFs and EndNote for bibliographic details. I have 300+ references in my main EndNote file, but found its ability to manage research notes terrible. I have also tried the following apps:

1. ConnectedText, Wikidpad, ZuluPadPro - great personal wikis, but ConnectedText doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor, Wikidpad never really made it to primetime, and ZuluPadPro is a great "notetaker" but is not great at managing the big picture

Do you mean WikidPad version 1.1 (on sourceforge), or the current WikidPad version 1.7 stable/ 1.8rc13 / 1.9beta15 ? You can find the very, very usefully extended WikidPad at: http://groups.google.com/group/wikidpad/web/home 

I use WikidPad, along with PersonalBrain, Evernote, Zoot, and several other information managers, note takers, and wiki applications. The right tool for the right task.
-Darkstar
sleahcim
Another option is to use Evernote with PB. These two are indispensable to me. You can link Evernote notes to your PB as well. Images, scanned scraps of paper, web pages all go into Evernote and get organized further by PB.
dwhitman
I am also an academic.  I have been exploring the use of PB for about two months now.  I find it useful for organizing, or viewing, thoughts and their relationships but feel that it should not be used to tie to a linear literature review - I think it would defeat the purpose.

However, endnote is awesome.  And, once you begin to use it so is Onenote- files upon files if organized properly with an excellent search function.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

You can, for example, use the endnote reference (e.g. {Newell, 1958 #168}) to serve as the heading for a page in onenote- where you keep your notes on the article.  You can paste the same reference in BP- you can easily search onenote using the same reference.

Unfortunately you can't link the reference in BP to a particular page in onenote- however, creativity results from shifting between world views, not staying within one.
mgm921
Hello dwhitman,

I would like to encourage you to expand on why linking quotes or ideas created in an outliner (e.g. Whizfolders) to a thought in PB defeats the purpose. Or perhaps you could expand on your workflow method for development of an academic paper. I would be greateful for any ideas on how best to begin to organize my notes as I begin doctoral studies.

Sincerely,
Michael

GoGo97
I just opened an EverNote account a few days ago and already see that this is going to become really valuable for helping to organize the way I think.

Another online tool I just picked up is InstaPaper- for clipping web pages and articles that I want to read later (helps keep me from getting stuck in an online whirlpool and wasting time. Then I use EverNote to clip and collect items I'm familiar with or that I've evaluated and have plans to use.

I plan to recommend both tools to all my students this fall.

I didn't think about using EverNote and PB together. Thanks for that brainstorm! This could be very, very good,...
jostber
Another tool that can be integrated with PB is ScrapBook in Firefox. It too can select different stuff from web pages and integrate information in one place.

http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/
http://www.kantor.com/blog/2008/04/the-scrapbook-firefox-extension/

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
kshue
I'm also missing something from Shelley's post -- I can create the text outline, but this does not include the Notes information as far as I can tell.

Am I missing something critical?

Thanks --
GantzhornG
I appreciate TheBrain for its great flexibility and ability to link all kinds of information. It really is great help for the collecting part of research and having everything easily accessible.
Unfortunately it is not as smart getting content out of the brain as it is bringing it in. This is especially true for use of the information in scientific papers. It has no structured export capabilities for word processors or layout software.

Therefore I use Mindjet Mindmanager Professional for creating papers; it has all the necessary flexibility of a mapping software to reorder content and has a streamlined interface to export the map to a structured Microsoft Word document with the click of a button. (when you have set up and configured your templates already).

GantzhornG
This week I gave Zotereo a try. I am amazed how easy it is to collect bibliographic information directly in Firefox and transmit it to word processors.
The only thing missing is the visual linking of PersonalBrain. The possiblity to import my Zotero entries to PB would be fantastic and should be easy to implement. It´s open source and the entities (notes, tags, attachments ..) already exist in PB. How about having the Zotero entry imported to PB with the push of a button?

melitabel
I am a research librarian (which means I actually undertake research projects for our staff at an economic development part of a university), so I do both academic and librarian work. I use PB to organize thoughts and references and Zotero, a free program specifically for academics, for storing papers and bibliographic references.

Zotero which is being developed at George Mason University, recognizes many article and bibliographic databases and grabs and organizes both the papers and the bibliographic information. It only works with Firefox, however. It has a great community of academic users. If I were just starting a big research project, I'd download this immediately.

In addition to text, it is set up to capture all kinds of information files - films, podcasts, interviews, letters, maps, radio broadcasts and much more.

I use mainly articles. Zotero aims to let you do what you can do with index cards and a reading pile - write directly on the article, add sticky notes, etc. It is a fabulous program for academics and serious researchers and it complements Personal Brain nicely.

It was one of 3 programs I focused on when doing a program on managing personal information at one of the huge library conferences last summer - the other 2 being Personal Brain and Evernote.
Less judgement, more curiosity
zenrain
Dyslucksia, you would have to either ctrl-click all the grandchildren or great grandchildren to add them to the selection and then export as text. You can also use the crawl brain feature, choose childward and set your level of depth. Then paste as text.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
andreas
Here is my routine using mendeley (www.mendeley.com) together with PB.

1. Create a folder on your desktop.
2. Save all pdfs you encounter during the day in this folder.
3. Make mendeley check automatically what is in that folder. The program will make a copy of the pdf and annotate the paper with the necessary details. This way I have the paper in a reference database and can cite it.
4. Expand Getting-Things-Done and create a thought "Collect Papers"
5. At the end of the day, dump all pdfs from your desktop folder into Collect Papers. PB will move the files into the database. The desktop folder is now empty again, ready for a new day.
6. When I have time, I take the pdfs under "Collect papers" and assign parents: name of the main author, keywords.
7. I read a paper (this paper will have the tag "reading" so I will always find it, when reading takes longer than 5 min...). I make notes in the note section. I tag it "read" so I know the process is finished.
8. Often I do not want to read a paper but it was written by someone famous and I might need it later, so I simply store it with the author's name as parent thought.

There is no pdf preview under Windows. So I open the paper with Acrobat Reader. I take a snapshot of page 1 (camera icon) and paste it into the notes section of PB. I do the same for all the other pages. Now I can scroll through my notes and see the pdf. The resolution is high enough for a quick read.
This works best if you put the notes in "auto-hide" mode and place them to the right side of the screen. Now the notes appear in portrait mode if you hit F5. The notes dissapear if you click outside the window. Quick'n'dirty pdf preview.
PB can show you a small symbol if a note is attached to the thought. That way I know if the "preview" is already in place.

Hope anyone will find that useful, too :-)

dwhitman

I use Onenote. It permits exensive notes and cross referencing, bookmarking, and so on. 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software