mctrexler
I take it this is another example of Webbrain's woefully limited functionality?  Or am I doing something wrong?  

Hopefully in Webbrain 9!

Mark
zenrain
I'm not sure what happened here, I'm almost positive it used to work, and now they don't seem to. 
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
mctrexler
I'm almost sure it used to work too!  
mcaton
Mark and Zen,

Just ran across this thread and did a quick test.  Still working for me.  I did get a quick External Protocol Request from my browser (Google Chrome), but after trusting an external application called "TheBrain", I was taken to the specific Brain/specific Thought.

What are your results?

Thanks,
Matt
zenrain
Sure as heck, I just tested with my User KB Brain and it's working again. Whew, you guys are fast! [smile]
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
mctrexler
Meaning what exactly?  

1. I copy a Local Thought URL on my desktop Brain, and attach it to another thought.  A nice little Brain Icon appears on the originating thought. I can easily jump from one thought to the other. 
2. I sync.
3. I open the Brain in webbrain. There is no Brain Icon, just a blank page at the relevant place, but the link is there. 
4. I click on the link in Webbrain, a new blank tab opens up in the browser, and that target thought opens up ON THE DESKTOP Brain.

When I think of a local thought URL working in Webbrain I would assume it would jump you from one place to another within the Webbrain on your screen.  That is definitely not happening.  Suggestions?

Mark
zenrain
Ahh, just to clarify, I tested links to other thoughts in notes, not as attachments as in Mark's post.
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
mctrexler
Zen, are you creating a "link to a thought" in the Notes field?  I can get that to work. But I was trying to work with the Local Thought URLs, which I don't think you can put in the Notes field.  I think they have to be pasted into the Thought tab.  Or am I missing an option?

Mark
zenrain
Yes Mark, I was using links to thoughts in the Notes field. I understand. 
You should also be able to add the Local Thought URL in the notes field also. To do this:
  1. Activate the thought as usual, right-click and choose Copy Local Thought URL.
  2. Go to the thought you want to add the link to the note.
  3. Highlight the text you wish to use for your hyperlink.
  4. From the drop-down menu in the notes tool, choose Insert > Insert Hyperlink (I think it's also ctrl+k on Windows).
  5. Paste the local thought URL into that window if it doesn't already pre-fill and then save.
This is how I link to thoughts using notes if I don't want to exactly mimic the thought name.
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
mctrexler
Had forgotten that one, thanks!   So many places these things hide!   :-)    Yes, that works for me in Webbrain as well.  I wonder why the same local thought URL doesn't work as an attachment.  But also, any reason that hyperlink shouldn't work on my desktop?   It's obviously a hyperlink by color and underline, but I can't click on it in the desktop, whereas I can in Webbrain after syncing.  Odd.

Mark
zenrain
Quote: But also, any reason that hyperlink shouldn't work on my desktop?
You have to ctrl+click it in Windows (⌘+click in OS X). This is improved drastically in Version 9. [smile]
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
mcaton
Agreed - Drastically improved in v9!

Thanks,
Matt
mctrexler
Will it be drastically improved in Webbrain as well?   Trying to figure out what works in the desktop vs. Webbrain when it comes to "local thought urls" and "hyperlinks," and the fact that "insert link to a thought" usually doesn't work, is a royal headache.  
pthompson
mctrexler wrote: Will it be drastically improved in Webbrain as well?

Yes, this is definitely the plan.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software